[Lapg] July 16-17, Richard Heinberg, Peak Oil: The Challenge and Opportunity of Petroleum's Waning Days

Eric Einem eric at einem.us
Fri Jul 15 07:12:59 PDT 2005

      Los Angeles Post Carbon Presents
      Richard Heinberg
      July 16th and July 17th

      PEAK OIL: The Challenge and Opportunity of Petroleum's Waning Days

      Richard Heinberg, the author of "The Party's Over" and "PowerDown"
will be speaking at two events on the weekend of July 16th and 17th. The
Saturday July 16th event is for those with at least a basic understanding of
the issue of peak oil and oil depletion, and the Sunday July 17th event is
for those who want to learn more about peak oil and the consequences we will
be facing in Los Angeles as global oil extraction goes into decline.

      BEYOND THE PEAK:
      Options & Actions for a Post-Carbon Future
      Saturday, July 16th, 2 - 5 pm
      Venice United Methodist Church
      1020 Victoria Avenue, Venice
      (one block NE of Venice Blvd/Lincoln Blvd)

      After the presentation, we will break into discussion groups based on
topic so that everyone has a chance to share their ideas. One person from
each group will be assigned to take notes, and provide a summary of ideas to
the entire group after the discussion.

      $10 suggested donation

      PEAK OIL:
      The Challenge and Opportunity of Petroleum's Waning Days
      Sunday, July 17th, 6 - 9 pm
      Immanuel Presbyterian Church
      3300 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles
      (Just 2 blocks west of the Wilshire/Vermont redline metro stop)

      How will the peak in world oil production affect you and your
neighborhood? Learn about the consequences of our dwindling supplies of
fossil fuels The lecture will be followed by a group discussion.
      $10 suggested donation

      The U.S. economy and the American way of life depend entirely on ample
supplies of cheap oil. But according to a number of oil geologists -
including the members of the Association for the Study of Peak Oil and Gas
http://www.peakoil.net/- the global peak in oil extraction is nearly here
(2005-2010). After that, continuing and increasing shortages will bring
changes to every area of life.

      Personal and business transportation, desirability of urban land,
water availability, businesses’ ability to continue production,
international shipping, the viability of large “showcase” projects, the
viability of surburbia – all will change in response to higher oil prices.
The media and public officials don’t talk about peak oil, but the signs –
from US Middle East policy to record oil prices – show that decision-makers
know oil is getting scarcer. Our planning decisions today, even at the local
level, should take these changes into account.

      Learn about the consequences of the soon-to-be diminishing supplies of
oil from one of the U.S.’s experts, Richard Heinberg. He is the author of
two recent books The Party's Over: Energy Resources and the Fate of
Industrial Societies (2003), and PowerDown: Options and Actions for a
Post-Carbon World (2004).

            Please consider walking, biking, taking public transportation or
ridesharing to these events.  For information on public transportation,
visit www.mta.net.  To find or offer a ride, visit www.rideshare.us and
lookup event code rh1 for July 16, or rh2 for July 17.

      For more information visit www.lapostcarbon.org/july16_17.htm or call
626-796-7325.

      Los Angeles Post Carbon
      Welcome to the organization of Los Angeles outposts of the Post Carbon
Institute. Our industrial society is approaching the end of the oil age, and
is completely unprepared for the consequences. Our aim is to educate the
community on the issue of oil depletion and the coming peak in global oil
production, take action in our community to prepare for the post-carbon age
and have fun along the way.
      www.lapostcarbon.org  info at lapostcarbon.org

      LA Post Carbon News
      To keep up-to-date on LA Post Carbon activities or events and news
related to LA Post Carbon, subscribe to LA Post Carbon News. To subscribe,
send a blank email to la-post-carbon-subscribe at lists.riseup.net or visit
anytime by sending a blank email to
la-post-carbon-unsubscribe at lists.riseup.net.

      Eric Einem
      Pasadena Post Carbon Outpost Coordinator
      eric at einem.us

                  Related Current Articles

                  Threats of Peak Oil to the Global Food Supply
                  by Richard Heinberg, from Museletter #159
                  http://www.museletter.com/archive/159.html

                  ...let us add to this picture the imminent peak in world
oil production. This will make machinery more expensive to operate,
fertilizers more expensive to produce, and transportation more expensive.
While the adoption of fossil fuels created a range of problems for global
food production, as we have just seen, the decline in the availability of
cheap oil will not immediately solve those problems; in fact, over the short
term they will exacerbate them, bringing simmering crises to a boil.

                  Freeway Extension Becomes `El Sereno Community Garden'

                  http://tinyurl.com/ch9qc

                  By Selene Rivera EGP Staff Writer

                  A parcel of land that started as an empty lot and was
designated for the 710-freeway to continue its path through Northeast Los
Angeles, will instead soon become the long-awaited "El Sereno Community
Garden," announced community leaders last Saturday. Adults, teenagers and
children will be able to visit the garden which will feature about 60
gardening plots - which willing residents can rent to plant their favorite
flowers or vegetables - and a passive park where people can just sit and
relax. Kiosks designated for numerous programs and events will also be a
feature of the new community garden.

                  End-time for USA upon oil collapse

                  Written by Jan Lundberg
                  http://www.culturechange.org/

                  A scenario for a sustainable future It is becoming clear
to more and more energy analysts that the United States of America as we
know it will not endure for long. However, the U.S. may not last at all, if
oil collapse and the birth of a sustainable culture play out freely.
Primarily considering the implications of "peak oil," let us explore key
unforgiving trends, dispassionately, so as to arrive at a truthful and
hopefully constructive vision for the future.

                  Second U.S. Conference on "Peak Oil" and Community
Solutions
                  September 23-25, Yellow Springs, Ohio
                  www.communitysolution.org

                  This conference will explore
                  • The implications of Peak Oil.
                  • An in-depth look at changes in agriculture.
                  • The characteristics of a new economy.
                  • Peak Oil’s effect on our financial system.
                  • Alternatives to oil and our high energy way of life.
                  • The communities of the future.
                  • Ways to transition and answers to "What should I do
now?"