[Lapg] Bamboo Building Workshop in Malibu at WORC

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Aug 16 09:51:35 PDT 2005

Bamboo Building Workshop

with Hannah Wear & Kevin Parkhurst

Saturday, August 20th

10 am to 5 pm

Join us as we explore the history and use of bamboo as food, fuel and as a
construction material.  Workshop activities will include a presentation of
the fascinating aspects of Bamboo, a hands-on program and a display of
available items made from bamboo.

Hannah and Kevin have been studying and exploring the use of bamboo for
many years and will provide an enthusiastic introduction to one of the
world s most sustainable building materials.  In this workshop we will
discuss and share with our guests the history and many uses of bamboo from
food and fences to cantilevers and castles.  We will also investigate some
cutting and joinery techniques.

Throughout history bamboo has been used to create a wide range of
structures, from the most basic lean-to s and primitive storage or shelter
systems to modern day club houses and eco-resorts.  Using bamboo as a
building material can result in beautiful, strong and resilient
structures.  Currently there is rising interest in the use of bamboo as a
construction material. It is very fast growing and has extremely strong
fiber, with twice the compressive strength of concrete and roughly the same
strength to weight ratio of steel in tension.

The cost for the workshop is $50 per person.   Please bring a lunch.

SPACE IS LIMITED, Please register early.

Wright Organic Resource Center
24680 Piuma Road, Malibu CA 90265
818.591.8992 ph
818.591.0116 fax
<http://www.elwright.net/wrightway>www.elwright.net/<http://www.elwright.net/wrightway>wrightway

The mission of Wright Organic Resource Center is to educate and activate
people to be creative and environmentally responsible in all aspects of
life.  We provide opportunities for people in the Los Angeles area,
especially youth, to experience the legacy of Frank Lloyd Wright and
Organic Architecture, encouraging the creative integration of Nature, Art
and Community.  Our goal is to spark the imagination of people who come to
the Center and activate them to envision and participate in building a
socially and environmentally connected world.

WORC is a project of Social and Environmental Entrepreneurs
(SEE).
<http://www.saveourplanet.org>www.saveourplanet<http://www.saveourplanet.org>.org

Directions to the Wright Organic Resource Center 24680 Piuma Rd, Malibu:

 >From Sunset Blvd. and Pacific Coast Highway, it should take 20-30
minutes. From 101 and Las Virgines, it should take about 20 minutes. Please
allow plenty of time for the trip, it s a steep and winding road up the hill.

Beach Route
Take the Pacific Coast Highway to Las Flores Cyn. Rd. in Malibu. (across
from Dukes Restaurant). Las Flores Cyn. Rd. is 4.8 miles from Sunset Blvd.
and 9 miles north of the 10 Freeway.
Take Las Flores to its termination and then turn right onto Rambla Pacifico
(after a short while, Rambla Pacifico becomes Piuma Rd). Follow for 2
miles, the last mile is down hill.
Turn left onto dirt driveway 24680 Piuma Rd. You will see a pine tree and a
wooden sign that says "Wright." Please be certain that you have the correct
address before entering the property.

Valley Route
Take the 101 Freeway to Las Virgines Rd. Take Las Virgenes south to stop
light at Piuma Rd., approximately 5 miles.
Turn left onto Piuma Rd. Go 5 miles uphill.
Turn right onto dirt driveway 24680 Piuma Rd. You will see a pine tree and