[Lapg] Pasadena, CA, Sept. 11, 2005, Peak Oil: Imposed by Nature, screening and discussion

Eric Einem eric at einem.us
Wed Aug 17 11:38:24 PDT 2005

For immediate release:

Pasadena Post Carbon Presents

Peak Oil: Imposed by Nature

Sunday, September 11th, 5:00 PM
Throop Memorial Church
300 S Los Robles Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101
map - 0.5 miles east of Del Mar Goldline station at the corner of Del Mar
and Los Robles.

Peak Oil: Imposed by Nature (28 minutes, http://tinyurl.com/avxw9) takes a
look at the causes and consequences of the coming global peak in oil
production. It condenses a lot of important and convincing information into
a great introduction to what global oil decline means to us all. It features
oil geologist Colin Campbell, founder of the Association for the Study of
Peak Oil and Gas.

After the film screenings, we will break into discussion groups, divided by
topics to discuss resources available and possible actions in response to
the problems of oil dependency. We will regroup after the discussions to
summarize all of our ideas. We will also highlight some of the actions
organized by the Pasadena Post Carbon outpost.

What is Peak Oil?
Peak Oil is the simplest label for the problem of energy resource depletion,
or more specifically, the peak in global oil production. Oil is a finite,
non-renewable resource, one that has powered phenomenal economic and
population growth over the last century and a half. The rate of oil
'production,' meaning extraction & refining (currently about 83 million
barrels/day), has grown in most years over the last century, but once we go
through the halfway point of all reserves, production becomes ever more
likely to decline, hence 'peak'. Peak Oil means not 'running out of oil',
but 'running out of cheap oil'. For societies leveraged on ever increasing
amounts of cheap oil, the consequences may be dire. Without significant
successful cultural reform, economic and social decline seems inevitable.
Read More at http://www.lapostcarbon.org/

Children are welcome at this event, and will be provided supervision, games
and activities during the event. Please RSVP if you will be bringing
children - 626-796-7325, eric at einem.us.

$5 suggested donation

For information visit www.lapostcarbon.org or contact eric at einem.us,
626-796-7325.

We will also view a short documentary: Our Synthetic Sea (Either the 9 or 22
minute version, http://www.algalita.org).

Studies indicate less than 5% of plastic ever gets recycled, while each
American is said to contribute some 65 lbs. of plastic into landfills each
year.The ocean is especially susceptible to plastic pollution. It takes
longer for the sun to break apart plastic in the ocean than on land because
of the oceans’ cooling capacity. Most plastic floats near the sea surface
where some is mistaken for food by birds and fishes. Plastics are carried by
currents and can circulate continually in the open sea. Broken, degraded
plastic pieces outweigh surface zooplankton in the central North Pacific by
a factor of 6-1. That means six pounds of plastic for every single pound of
zooplankton.

Eric Einem
Pasadena Post Carbon Outpost Coordinator
626-796-7325
http://www.lapostcarbon.org
A grassroots response to the coming decline of fossil fuel extraction.