[Lapg] NEW BOOK Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands by Brad Lancaster

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Nov 12 08:04:51 PST 2005

Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands by Brad Lancaster

Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain Into Your Life and Landscape Volume 1

www.harvestingrainwater.com/

Now Available!

Turn water scarcity into water abundance! Rainwater Harvesting for
Drylands, Volume 1 is the core of the complete three-volume guide on how to
conceptualize, design, and implement sustainable water-harvesting systems
for your home, landscape, and community. This book enables you to access
your on-site resources (rainwater, greywater, topsoil, sun, plants, and
more), gives you a diverse array of strategies to maximize their potential,
and empowers you with guiding principles to create an integrated,
multi-functional, and water-sustainable water-harvesting landscape plan
specific to your site and needs.

Clearly written with more than 40 photos and 115 illustrations, this volume
helps bring your site to life, reduce your cost of living, endow yourself
and your community with skills of self-reliance and cooperation, and create
living air conditioners of vegetation growing beauty, food, and wildlife
habitat. Stories of people who are successfully welcoming rain into their
life and landscape will invite you to do the same!

Learn more about the book and see sample chapters.

Praise for Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, Volume 1

Water harvesting and water cycling.
© 2005 Brad Lancaster and Joe Marshall

"Through some bizarre irony, rainwater in the arid west is typically
deflected away from water-starved land and shunted off to storm drains. Not
so in Brad Lancaster's universe. He welcomes rainwater into the landscape
with creativity, intelligence and humor and puts it to use growing food,
shading houses, reducing erosion, improving wildlife habitat, and enriching
the urban environment. In Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, he welcomes us
to join him in exercising the radicial common sense of harvesting rainwater."

- Ann Phillips, Manager of Restoration Projects, Tucson Audubon Society

"Buy this book now. If you live in a dry place, buy it. If you live
somewhere subject to droughts (which is everywhere), buy it. The simple
techniques (and the principles behind them) can help you save bunches of
money, and make the landscape around you more productive and beautiful,
with less work and upkeep than you can imagine. Lend it to your neighbors,
and you'll benefit as well. (Heck-buy them each a copy.) This how-to manual
has enough stories, illustrations and simple ideas to inspire even the most
unhandy among us (such as myself). Buy it, try a couple of projects in your
backyard, and in a few years be sure to send Brad and me a thank you note!"
- Kevin Dahl, Executive Director of Native Seeds/SEARCH and author of Wild
Foods of the Sonoran Desert and Native Harvest: Gardening with Authentic
Southwestern Crops

REQUEST YOUR COPY TODAY
Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, Volume 1 is distributed by Chelsea Green
Publishing Company and is also available from:
Native Seeds/SEARCH, http://www.nativeseeds.org, 866-622-5561
Silverbell Trading 502-797-6852
Permaculture Activist, http://www.permacultureactivist.net,
Natural Building Resources 505-895-3389
And your local bookstore and library when you request it.

About Brad Lancaster

Since 1993 I've run a successful permaculture consulting, design, and
education business focused on integrated and sustainable approaches to
landscape design, planning, and living. And as I live in the dryland
environment, rainwater harvesting has long been one my specialties and a
passion. Through my business I've been able to share this passion and many
of the fun innovations and daily adventures that come about from striving
to live more sustainably and comfortably in the Sonoran Desert.

At home my brother and I harvest over 100,000 gallons of rainwater a year
on a 1/8th acre urban lot and adjoining right-of-way. This harvested water
is then turned into living air conditioners of food-bearing shade trees,
abundant gardens, and a thriving landscape incorporating wildlife habitat,
beauty, edible and medicinal plants, and more. Such sheltering landscapes
cool buildings by 20°F, reduce water and energy bills, and require little
more than rainwater to thrive. Outside the home, I have helped others do
the same and enabled clients to create ephemeral springs, raise the level
of water wells, and shade and beautify neighborhood streets by harvesting
their street runoff in adjacent tree wells.

I started writing Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands as a way to further
empower my clients and my community to make such positive change in their
own lives and back yards by harvesting rainwater. I wanted to provide an
accessible resource that explains what water harvesting is, how to do it
appropriately, and how to modify it to the unique conditions of everyone's
own site. I believe we all can become beneficial stewards of the land on
which we live, and I believe that by sustainably harvesting rainwater we
can all begin to transform our households from consumers of resources to
producers of resources. Drawing on my years of teaching, consulting,
designing, on-the-ground implementation, and learning from others, I offer
readers my clear and simple process to assess and design their own water
harvesting landscapes.

Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, Volume 1 - Guiding Principles to Welcome
Rain Into Your Life and Landscape

Now Available!

Sample Content
Table of contents
Foreword by Gary Paul Nabhan
Sample Gallery of Book's Illustrations
Appendix 3 Water-harvesting Calculations (128k PDF)
Appendix 4 Example Plant Lists and Water-Requirement Calculations for
Tucson, Arizona (128k PDF)

[...]

Book specifications:
ISBN 0-9772464-0-X

LCCN 2005907763

Published by Rainsource Press

Distributed by Chelsea Green Publishing Company 1-800-639-4099
$24.95
Paperback
8.5" X 11"
200 pages
Over 150 illustrations; index; bibliography; six appendices including
patterns of water flow and erosion, water harvesting traditions,
calculations, plant lists, worksheets, and resource lists.
Foreward by Gary Paul Nabhan
Categories: water harvesting, landscape design, ecology, sustainable
strategies
Release date: November 2005
Official month of publication: January 2006

  Testimonials & Reviews For Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, Volume 1

"Brad Lancaster is one of those rare individuals who combines practical
ability to design and implement common-sense solutions to rainwater
management issues with a clear ecological and political vision of the
importance of doing so. In Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands Brad shows us
how to use rainwater around our homes and in our communities so that our
human-created landscapes reflect the abundance of nature. As we move from
assumptions of scarcity to participation in abundance, our lives and our
communities can be transformed."
-David Confer, Ph.D., environmental engineer and sustainable design and
development consultant

"What a wonderful, enthusiastic book. Brad Lancaster lives what he preaches
-- a water careful lifestyle that is all about more life. Brad is a worthy
teacher--his love and deep respect for water shines through on every page."
- Ben Haggard, author, sustainable systems designer, and permaculture teacher

"Brad Lancaster's Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands is an important book
about using rainfall as the primary driver in creating and restoring
landscapes for agriculture and communities. It is ecological design at its
best."
- John Todd, Ph.D., Research Professor and Distinguished Lecturer, The
Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, The University of
Vermont; President, Ocean Arks International; Senior Partner John Todd
Ecological Design, Inc.

"This important and timely water-harvesting book reads like a conversation
with a trusted friend. As such, it is an effective how-to and why-for
manual for living within our means in our shared watersheds. Heartfelt
thanks, Brad, for spotlighting the route to abundance in these arid climes!"
- Barbara Clark, project manager, Teran Watershed Project, Cascabel AZ

"Our modern society is afflicted with a severe case of hydrological
illiteracy. Brad's Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, in three volumes, is
the antidote needed to mitigate this epidemic of cerebral imperviousness
impacting the collective head-waters of our cultural ego-system! Pragmatic
practitioners of "waterspread" restoration for arid lands and beyond, will
find a wealth of accessible and practical information in these books. The
Conservation Hydrology mantra of -Slow It - Spread It - Sink It -- has
never been better articulated in as clear and concise terms for the
homeowner, ranch owner, sub-division developer or city stormwater engineer.
I will require this book for all my Basins of Relations community watershed
students and feel it should be so as well for all land managers and land
use planners. This book is sure to become a classic for all people who
believe in a future based on rehydration instead of dehydration and for
that I say, Bravo Brad!"
- Brock Dolman, WATER Institute Director, Occidental Arts and Ecology Center

"Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, Volume 1 is more than a text on how to
harvest rainwater. It is a way of life that gives back nourishment to our
earth rather than what has become the standard of continually taking. This
way of life has become almost a religion for Brad and as he demonstrates,
it should be the same for all of us."
- Heather Kinkade-Levario, R.L.A., President of the American Rainwater
Catchment Systems Association (ARCSA) Author of Forgotten Rain -
Rediscovering Rainwater Harvesting

"The world needs more practical visionaries like Brad Lancaster! Blending
his own knowledge, experience and wisdom with the collected wisdom and
practices of water harvesters from around the world, Brad gives us access
to a wealth of critically needed tools for rethinking our relationship with
the gift of water from the sky. This man more than walks his talk; he
lives, breathes, eats and drinks it!"
- David Eisenberg, Director of the Development Center for Appropriate
Technology, co-author of the Straw Bale House Book, and a two-term member
of the Board of Directors of the U.S. Green Building Council

"Brad Lancaster presents the first of three volumes of his vision on what
might be called Eco-hydrology. It is not just a book about harvesting
rainfall, although there are many practical ideas on how to make use of the
water that falls on your land. It is a guide designed to help the reader
see what Brad sees when looking at a city lot or homesite. He has set as
his goal to train you to see your land and the environment in which it is
set in a new way, as a natural resource to be managed in harmony with your
living there. While water harvesting is central to living a new paradigm it
is only part of a broader vision designed to enrich your quality of life
while enhancing the surrounding environment."
- James J. Riley, Ph.D., Soil, Water and the Environmental Science
Department, The University of Arizona

"Like small acorns that grow into mighty oaks, Ben Franklin's succinct and
wise words are perhaps more valuable today: 'Waste not; want not…A penny
saved is a penny earned.' The anticipation of rain and its eventual harvest
and storage for nurturing the native habitat, our source of food, the
quality of our air and water, and visual delight for our senses is a
natural model for us to mimic. Brad Lancaster's pioneering series of books,
Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, shows us how we can mimic the way nature
works, as it immediately provides the resources necessary to support a
world of efficient and effective use of water that helps create abundance
in all our lives."
- Dr. Wayne Moody, American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), Planner

"This book and the thinking behind it should be part of the basic education
of civil engineers, architects, landscape architects and planners
everywhere. As a civil engineer working for a progressive municipal water
utility in an arid climate, I can see if a majority of our citizens
followed these practices, many of our current and future challenges would
be alleviated. The positive side benefits in terms of erosion-control,
creation of bird habitat, and natural cooling would be exceptional."
- Patricia Eisenberg, P.E., past president, Arizona Society of Civil Engineers

"On a water-world such as ours, Brad's book should be a required study for
all human beings. Scholarly, forthright and, above all, practical, this
work delivers critical knowledge to those thirsty for a positive
relationship with water. Thank you Brad for your friendly presentation of
such a complex and important component of global sustainability!"
- Paul A. Branson, Earthwise Technologies Ecological Restoration

© 2005 Brad Lancaster