[Lapg] Pockets of Excellence Needed Africa PERM2005

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Nov 15 10:13:16 PST 2005

Pockets of Excellence Needed

Sunday Times (Johannesburg)

COLUMN
November 13, 2005
Posted to the web November 14, 2005

Johannesburg

Its matric results have improved from a dismal 18% in 1998 to 91% in 2003
(dropping to 85% last year). Through creative fundraising, it will soon
have a media centre, and has a science and biology lab and a Home Economics
Centre "which is today known as Technology Centre and permakitchen".

A range of academic streams and active sports clubs complement a programme
of visits that have taken learners as far afield as Robben Island, the
Pretoria Police Museum and KwaZulu-Natal's sugarfields "where we learnt a
lot about science and biology". Students enter Olympiads and at least six
are on tertiary bursaries.

Yet the object of the school's pride is its vegetable gardens and sites for
permaculture and agro-forestry. Not only do they supply and train
surrounding schools, but the post office, police, clinics and others have
benefited. Boreholes, rain-harvesting, and a whole environmental policy
have enthused and mobilised the village.

It seems churlish, in the face of this, and while another generation of
matrics face their exams, to remind ourselves that education in our country
is indeed in crisis and our youth have an uncertain future.

However, recent headlines have screamed the failure of our education system
to make the grade. Huge disparities exist between former (white) Model C
schools and township and rural schools, which are often no more than
warehouses or sinkholes where almost half drop out. In these schools, maths
and science, as well as literacy, are way below par. Teachers' morale is
poor; they suffer policy overload and ill discipline, many lack training
and few newcomers enter the profession.

Researchers report an overwhelming sense of "sadness" in young township
dropouts, the products of the second stream of a dual education system.
Even where learners can squeeze their way into tertiary education, there is
dropping out and unemployment. For 60% to 80% of learners, education
condemns them to a life of poverty and exclusion on the margins of the
second economy. They are overwhelmingly poor and black.

Just when their lives should be full of opportunity, their future
evaporates in front of our young people's eyes.

What can we do?

It seems to me that we must first acknowledge the problem and name it.
Schooling hasn't worked. It's a crisis because we need skills to grow at
6%; because we need all citizens to have routes to progress through study
and hard work.

Crisis doesn't mean disintegration -- or necessarily mean chaos (although
consider the Eastern Cape: its recent three-month "go-slow" by teachers,
the slashing of school nutrition, administrative hostility, disorder and
disregard for pupils in the schools!).

We have budgets, a diligent department and a minister who sees the need to
stabilise and focus. There are programmes like the 400 Dinaledi maths and
science schools. There is the R1.5-billion recap of FET vocational
colleges. There are new measures for teacher support.

Yes, we expect government to deliver. But the blame game won't help. The
problem really is apartheid's legacy, and will take more than one
minister's term to fix. We must go beyond shouting at politicians,
certainly not at teachers, nor blame Model Cs. Complacency or defensive
laagers won't work.

There is too much improvement to do: long term, complex, way beyond
schooling alone. Joint efforts with focus are the hardest to do.

Jonathan Jansen [dean of Education at the University of Pretoria] has
suggested that teacher support is needed above all. Everything possible
must help teachers to teach, to improve their knowledge, their time on the
job, their focus and sense of worth. Effort, clear materials and
infrastructure are there to enhance the magic and graft of teachers and
learners in the classroom.

The Development Bank of Southern Africa has moved to expand its involvement
in education, to consider a high-level think tank to contribute to ideas
and to explore practical (investment) projects from Early Childhood
Development to student loans. This is a challenge to the public to do the
same -- to commit, to renew involvement, to mobilise, and to strengthen
structures and systems so that they really work.

We need to get together and discuss our solutions. Where are the pockets of
excellence that are really working -- such as Piet N Aphane High -- and
why? How do we build them and others like them?
Relevant Links
Southern Africa
South Africa
Education

Earlier this year the Department of Education held a national consultation.
Perhaps it is time for another get-together, where we can acknowledge the
depth of the problem, where we can listen and re-focus. The future of our
new generations depends on it.

Bloch is an education analyst with the Development Bank of Southern Africa

Make allAfrica.com your home page | RSS Feed
Top | Site Français | Site Guide | Who We Are | Advertising | Search |
Subscribe
Copyright © 2005 Sunday Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by
AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). Click here to contact the copyright
holder directly for corrections -- or for permission to republish or make
other authorized use of this material.
Questions or Comments? Contact us. Read our Privacy Statement.