[Lapg] Natural Building Apprenticeship June 5 - July 28, 2006 Emerald Earth Community, Boonville, Northern California

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Jan 11 05:15:51 PST 2006

Natural Building in Community
An intensive  skill-builder for natural builders
June 5 - July 28, 2006
Emerald Earth Community, Boonville, Northern California

Instructors: Michael G. Smith and Darryl Berlin
with guests including Janine Björnson, Massey Burke and Sara McCamant

This is a rare opportunity to develop natural building skills in the
stimulating environment of a rural intentional community. We take a
whole-systems approach to ecological building, combining earth, straw,
wood, sand and stone in various ways to create inexpensive, efficient
hybrid structures. Each week will include 25-30 hours of supervised
hands-on building, 2-5 hours of "classroom" time, and an individual
research project. We will also take several field trips to explore and
participate in other natural building projects around Northern California.
The group will be very small (maximum 6), allowing lots of individual
supervision and skill-building. Participants will be integrated into the
dynamic social context of the community, sharing meals, cooking and
cleaning tasks, meetings, fun and games with other residents. The
supportive learning environment will focus on developing skills not only in
building but also in group living, leadership and communication. This
program is recommended for people who want to take their education further
than is possible by attending short workshops or by training in a single
technique, especially for owner-builders and for those working towards a
career in natural building. No previous experience is required.

Things you will learn:

o straw bale
o cob
o straw-clay (slipstraw)
o other earthen wall systems (wattle-and-daub, clay wattle, adobe)
o round pole framing and basic carpentry
o earthen floors
o natural plasters and paints (clay and lime plasters, alis paints, etc.)
o alternative foundations (rubble trench, earthbags, rammed tires, etc.)
o sustainable materials harvesting
o home power generation
o passive solar design
o structures and processes for intentional communities
o and lots more about natural building, rural homesteading, and working in
groups

Cost and registration:

The 8-week program costs $3000, including instruction, on-site camping,
field trips, and organic, mostly vegetarian meals. We require a written
application, and encourage a visit to the community to meet the instructors
and other residents. Two partial scholarships are available for women on
the basis of financial need.

For more information or an application:

Phone (707) 895-3302 or email
<mailto:workshops at emeraldearth.org>workshops at emeraldearth<mailto:workshops at emeraldearth.org>.org.
To see photos and more about the community, check out our Web site at
<http://www.emeraldearth.org>www.emeraldearth<http://www.emeraldearth.org>.org.

Don't have time for our 8-week program?

Try our Natural Building Intensive, Sept 2-8, which covers many of the same
topics condensed into a single week. Cost is $500 including camping and
food. Class size is limited, so register early. Call or email for details.

What previous years¹ participants said:

"The hands-on aspect of the program was great - sufficient time, and a lot
of different methods covered. I enjoyed all of the lectures, and I can¹t
think of a major topic that I would have wanted to learn about that was not
covered. The field trips were great. The individual projects were extremely
useful. I was amazed with how much you managed to cram into eight short
weeks!" - MB

"Michael Smith¹s ability to organize and deliver information is unrivaled,
while Darryl Berlin¹s method is founded in his connection to the land.
These are soulful teachers who walk their talk. Each day I could feel
another layer of cynicism about the desperate state of politics and the
environment fall away. I slept outside under an oak tree, the stars and the
moon. I ate the healthiest diet of my life, most of it grown by the
community." - MM

"I really enjoyed the opportunities to work on my leadership skills. I had
enough time to see myself change from uncomfortable to confident in the
role of teacher and leader, which was an empowering process. I feel I
walked away from the program a completely new person, rich with newfound
knowledge, full of excitement and inspiration, with new clarity on my path
in life." - BD

"Since completing the apprenticeship, I¹ve led two natural building
workshops. Both went really well and I know I wouldn¹t have been
comfortable leading them if it hadn¹t been for the program. I have also had
paid natural building work as a direct result of the contacts I made at
Emerald Earth. I would do it all over again without hesitation. It was by
far the best natural building educational experience I¹ve ever had." - MJ-