[Lapg] April FIC Newsletter -27460-

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Apr 24 09:22:22 PDT 2006

News from THE FELLOWSHIP for INTENTIONAL COMMUNITY
Promoting Community Living & Cooperative Lifestyles
Communities magazine, Directory, Video and more
http://www.ic.org http://store.ic.org http://directory.ic.org
                                           -27460-

A MONTHLY EMAIL PUBLICATION of the FIC since 1999, serving
over 4000 subscribers.

April 23, 2006

1 Use The FIC's Free Online Communities Directory
2 Featured Bookshelf Titles At Sale Prices
3 FIC Co-Sponsored Events Ahead In 2006
4 Communities Magazine Issues
5 Help Build A More Cooperative World!

This personalized newsletter was sent to Wesley Roe.

Status of the Communities magazine subscription associated with
this email address (if any)  * Expires with the current issue
#130. Please renew today! *

FIC membership status (if any)
* None *

At the end of this letter PLEASE CHECK your mailing address and
other contact info. Also see more details on the *status* of your
magazine subscription and membership, plus eNews subscribe,
unsubscribe, privacy & mailings info.

1 USE THE FIC'S FREE ONLINE COMMUNITIES DIRECTORY!

If you are looking for an intentional community, ecovillage,
cohousing, commune, co-op, or other cooperative living
arrangement, visit our free online searchable Communities
database. You can filter your search on many key characteristics
of each community such as location, size, etc. as well as seeing
your search results mapped out.

Intentional Communities can update their listings online at any
time so you get the most up to date information possible.

Homepage of the Online Directory
http://directory.ic.org/

Communities listed alphabetically
http://directory.ic.org/iclist/

Communities listed geographically
http://directory.ic.org/iclist/geo.php

Communities locations by Google mapping
http://directory.ic.org/maps/

http://directory.ic.org/records/?action=search

Instructions to add your community to the listings or to edit an
existing listing

http://directory.ic.org/neweditors.php

A brief history of the Communities Directory in print and online
http://directory.ic.org/about.php

2 FEATURED BOOKSHELF TITLEs at SALE PRICEs
   Reviews by Catherine Nicosia, Community Bookshelf Manager

This month, we continue to offer special prices on our two most
recent ENews book specials.

REINVENTING COMMUNITY: Stories From The Walkways of Cohousing
   edited by David Wann

THE END OF OIL: On The Edge Of A Perilous New World
   by Paul Roberts

Both books are timely and offer fresh views of their subjects.
Reinventing Community provides a fascinating look at the world of
the people who have chosen to live in co-housing communities. The
End Of Oil will be of interest to those who want to find out more
about the Peak Oil And Sustainability theme of the current issue
of Communities Magazine (#130-Spring 2006).

----------

We are also offering a special price on one of our favorite
titles

RISE UP SINGING: The Group Singing Songbook
   edited by Peter Blood and Annie Patterson

This is the fifteenth anniversary edition and it has been
completely re-typeset to make it easier to read. Guitar chords
are included and the songs cover the range from folk, blues,
gospel, spirituals, country to popular music. If you love to sing
with others or want to learn the words to that favorite song,
this is the book for you.

Regular price $23.00            Special price $19.00

----------

REINVENTING COMMUNITY  Special price $15.00

THE END OF OIL Special price $11.00

RISE UP SINGING Special price $19.00

   http://store.ic.org/catalog/specials.php

   Shipping/handling
     3.00 S/H for first item
     1.00 S/H for each additional item

Shop online for lower shipping rates, more shipping options, and
more sale items.

http://store.ic.org/catalog/specials.php

S/H prices are for Standard Mail postal delivery within US.
This eNews special offer is valid through May 31, 2006.

   Information, catalog, ordering
   http://store.ic.org/bookshelf

   Community Bookshelf RR 1 Box 156
   Rutledge MO 63563  800-995-8342
   bookshelf at ic.org

3 FIC CO-SPONSORED EVENTS AHEAD IN 2006
   Communities Conference at Twin Oaks
   Art of Community Northwest, Seattle area

COMMUNITIES CONFERENCE at TWIN OAKS
   August 18 - 20, 2006
   Twin Oaks Community near Louisa, Virginia

Organizing has begun for the annual Communities Conference at
Twin Oaks. With over 25 different communities represented
annually, it is a prime opportunity to network amongst other
community minded folks. It is an ideal event for people who are
looking for community as well for those already living in
community to share and learn from each others experiences.  It is
a co-created conference, with shining eyed people, contributing
their helping hands, ideas, perspectives and energy. There will
be the famous Saturday night dance, campfires, singing, open
space, workshops by experienced and dynamic presenters, the
infamous mudpit, hammocks, good food and more. An unforgettable
weekend for many!

Join us at Twin Oaks' conference site in the woods! We'll be
delving into the nuts and bolts of community with a variety of
workshops on topics such as cooperative decision-making,
intentional relationships, forming community, community econmics,
and many more. Children are welcome.

The Conference is co-sponsored by three organizations
Fellowship for Intentional Community  http://www.ic.org
Federation of Egalitarian Communities http://www.thefec.org
Twin Oaks Community http://www.twinoaks.org

Communities Conference at Twin Oaks
   138 Twin Oaks Rd  Louisa VA  23093
   540-894-5126
   conference at twinoaks.org

http://www.twinoaks.org/conference

----------

ART OF COMMUNITY NORTHWEST: Building Sustainable Community
An exciting weekend of networking, learning, & fun!
   Friday September 8 - Sunday September 10
   Greater Seattle Area (venue to be announced)

Co-Sponsor: Northwest Intentional Community Association

* Meet People from Existing & Forming Communities; Ecovillages,
Cohousing, Egalitarian, Housing Cooperatives, Collectives

* Build Real Community Where You Are; at Home, at Work, at
Church, in other organizations

* Tools You Can Use; Facilitation, Consensus, Ecological
Assessments

* Be More Sustainable; Ethical Consumption; Local Agriculture,
Bio-Diesel, Permaculture

Presenters include

* Diana Leafe Christian, Communities magazine editor; author:
Creating a Life Together

* Laird Schaub, FIC Executive Secretary; founder of Sandhill Farm

* Geoph Kozeny, the Peripatetic Communitarian from Communities
magazine & Visions of Utopia producer

* And many more...

Check this site periodically for updated Art of Community info
http://fic.ic.org/artofcmty.html

----------

For many more event listings visit this page
(71 events are listed here at the time of this writing)

http://events.ic.org/events/

4 COMMUNITIES MAGAZINE ISSUES
   Current and coming issues
   By Diana Leafe Christian, Editor

AVAILABLE NOW - THE SPRING ISSUE
Peak Oil and Sustainability #130

Here are titles and authors of the theme articles:

Community Survival During the Coming Energy Decline
   by Jan Steinman & Diana Leafe Christian

An Energy Primer: How We Consume Our Ancient Sunlight
   by Jan Steinman

Peak Oil and Community Food Security
   by Ethan Genauer

City Repair and the Opportunity of Peak Oil
   by Lydia Doleman and Mark Lakeman

Peak Oil as "Opportunity"?
   by Jonathan Dawson

Helping Friends and Neighbors Prepare
   by Megan Quinn

Preparing For A Post-Carbon World: Why I'm Joining O.U.R.
Ecovillage
   by Guy Prouty

Living the (Almost) Petrol-Free Life
   by Patricia Greene

----------

COMING UP IN THE SUMMER ISSUE
Good Works: Communities in Service to Others
Summer 2006 #131

Has your community gone out of its way to be of service in some
way; for example, benefiting the environment, or helping people
in need? Or have members of your community individually supported
a service effort or created their own service project? Some
communities (or individual community members) have supported
relief efforts for tsunami victims or Katrina victims, set up
soup kitchens for the homeless, or offered help to Central
American political refugees.

If you or your community has a story like this to tell, we'd like
to share it with our readers. Contact us right away as the
deadline for submissions is very close at hand.

  communities at ic.org   828-669-9702

----------

   Get a sample issue, renew or subscribe here
   http://store.ic.org//communities/sample.php
   http://store.ic.org/cmag

Sample issues $4 plus $3 S/H by US standard mail.
Shop online for lower shipping rates and more shipping options.

Subscriptions one year 4 issues
$20 US :: $24 Canada :: $26 Other

   Order by phone fax or mail
   FIC * 138 Twin Oaks Rd * Louisa VA 23093
   800-462-8240   fax 540-894-4112

5 HELP BUILD A MORE COOPERATIVE WORLD!

E. B. White once said, "I arise in the morning torn between a
desire to save the world and a desire to savor the world. This
makes it hard to plan the day."

Like many of us faced with the same dilemma each morning, you can
choose to improve the world in a way that also helps you (and
many others) to savor it at the same time. Join the FIC! If
you've already joined, donate!

It's easy, it's fast, it gets you discounts and other benefits...
but best of all, it's a way to both enjoy being part of a vast
network of community-minded folks, and also enable the growth of
that very network.

So, don't fret over whether to improve the world or enjoy it--do
both. Savor community living while bringing it to more people.
Please join us.

For more info on member benefits and to join online using our
secure server go to

    http://store.ic.org/membership

To request a membership form by mail, or to email, or to talk
with a human, contact us at

    RR 1 Box 156
    Rutledge MO 63563
    800-995-8342
    fic at ic.org

To learn more about the mission of the organization visit

    http://fic.ic.org/index.html

Many thanks from all of us in the Fellowship.

This email was sent to Wesley Roe at this address
lakinroe at silcom.com

We have the following contact information and postal address
status associated with your email address:

Wesley Roe
Santa Barbara Perm Net
33 Paradise Rd
Santa Barbara, CA 93105-9771
805-964-1555
lakinroe at silcom.com

Share status: OK to share my postal address
Postal mail status: OK to send postal mail

MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION.  #130 is the current issue. The current
(Spring) issue was mailed about a week ago. If you recently
subscribed your first issue likely is still in transit; please
allow plenty of delivery time for magazine rate mail!

Your subscription status as of today is as follows
* Expires with the current issue #130. Please renew today! *

               To subscribe or renew please contact
                    order at ic.org  800-462-8240

                      http://store.ic.org/cmag

FIC MEMBERSHIP. According to our records the status of the paid
individual or group FIC membership listed at your address above
is as follows        * None *

   Fellowship membership is a _separate service_ from a
   Communities magazine or eNews subscription.

   Please note renewals received this month may not be reflected
   here nor will the membership status of Organizational Staffers
   (Board, Implementers, etc.) Also note that communities and
   organizations often are listed in our records under a group
   name _and_ under one or more individual's names. Membership and
   magazine subscriptions are separate purchases; members are
   entitled to subscription discounts.

CHANGED YOUR INFORMATION? Please keep us informed of any changes
in your customer information as displayed here. For best service
use your customer number 27460 when contacting us and/or in the
Notes field of the online order form. Notify us by emailing to
order at ic.org if you wish to update any of your contact
information.

*  To UNSUBSCRIBE from this newsletter send a blank email to
PubsList at ic.org with  REMOVE-27460 as the subject. You'll receive
a removal confirmation.

*  If a friend forwarded you a copy of this online newsletter and
you would like to subscribe please send a blank email to
PubsList at ic.org with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. Please send
both your NAME and EMAIL. If you wish to get a few postal
mailings per year from us also send your postal address in the
body of the email.

PRIVACY

+ We share postal mail addresses occasionally with like-minded
organizations. We do not sell, rent or share email addresses with
any other organization. Let us know if you prefer to not share
your mailing address.

+ We do NOT telemarket, and do not sell, rent or share phone
numbers with any other organization or business.

MAILINGS. We email to the Fellowship list once per month or less
to announce events, new publications, and new editions. We send
postal mail less frequently, typically a few times per year.
Please let us know if you would prefer to receive announcements
from us by postal mail, email, both, or prefer customer service
contact only.