[Lapg] E-news: Green Roofs for a Cleaner L.A. - CORRECTED DATE: JUNE 7

Lois Arkin crsp at igc.org
Fri Jun 2 16:01:06 PDT 2006

Is anyone planning to go to this workshop?
Lois

-------------------------------------
COULD YOUR ROOF BE  GREEN?
GREEN ROOF MARKET DEVELOPMENT SYMPOSIUM  TO OFFER DESIGNERS, LANDSCAPE
ARCHITECTS, PLANNERS AND OTHERS A NEW LOOK AT GREEN ROOF INFRASTRUCTURE

         Councilmember
         Eric Garcetti
         Dear Friends,

         I'm pleased to announce next week's Green Roof Market
Symposium, which I'll be co-hosting with Green Roofs for Healthy Cities
and the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. The Green Roof
phenomenon (more at http://greenroofs.org/) answers the question "What
if we could take all that space on top of our buildings and put it to
work for our environment?"

         Green roofs are an important component of green building, a
movement that can do more to clean up our environment than any other
single change in our habits (40% of the material in landfills is from
construction waste). Green roofs reduce energy consumption, mitigate
urban heat island effect, filter air pollutants, and clean storm water.
They also provide natural habitat for birds and green space for
recreational enjoyment. Green roofs have now been recognized under the
United States Green Building Council’s (USGBC) Leadership in Energy and
Environmental Design (LEED) accreditation program. Now we've got to
figure out how to make green roofs work for our environment and for our
water conservation needs."

         All the information about this conference, to take place June
7th at the Metropolitan Water District headquarters in downtown Los
Angeles, can be found here. I'll address the conference, as will
Councilmember Ed Reyes, Environmental Affairs Department General Manager
Dee Allen, and Commissioner Mary Nichols of the Department of Water and
Power. If you're a designer, planner, developer or landscape architect,
or even just thinking creatively about the design of your own home, I'd
love to talk to you there.

         Yours,

         Eric

CONTACT US

     Tell us what you think. ..... garcetti at council.lacity.org

     Councilmember Eric Garcetti represents the Thirteenth Council
District which includes all or part of the communities of Glassell Park,
Atwater Village, Elysian Valley, Echo Park, Historic Filipinotown,
Silver Lake, East Hollywood and Hollywood.

     Councilmember Garcetti serves as President of the Los Angeles City
Council. He chairs the Council‘s Rules and Elections Committe, is the
Vice-Chair of the Energy and the Environment Committee, and sits on the
Housing and Community Development Committee. He also sits on the
Council‘s Ad Hoc Committee on Homelessness and the Ad Hoc Committee on
the Los Angeles River.

     Councilmember Garcetti and his staff can be reached via e-mail at
councilmember.garcetti at council.lacity.org or by mail or phone at City
Hall, 200 N. Spring Street, Room 470, Los Angeles, CA 90012, (213) 473
7013 and 5500 Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90028, 323/957-4500.

     www.cd13.com