[Lapg] voted or be voted

eric werbalowsky ewerb at ewerb.com
Sat Oct 28 15:15:17 PDT 2006

in the words of our great political leader, olivia newton john, "Let's get political"

civic more likely...i continue to be amazed at how our deliberative representives in Sacto keep literally passing the ball to us...then we da peeple decide by celebrities, 30 sec. ads and junk mail...Borat we need you

here's a guideline for green voters -- let's go less-evil team!

ES on Props: 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 84, 87, 89; NO  on 90

Important Environmental Propositions on Nov. 7 Ballot
 Prepared by Jim Stewart, Earth Day LA (213-487-9340, Jim at EarthDayLA.org)

 I and many environmentalists favor the following Props: 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 84, 87, 89, All environmentalists oppose Prop 90, see why below.

 Props 1C and 84 are most critical for parks.  Prop 87 is most critical to reduce global warming. Please print out & forward this email on to all your friends.

 For a checklist of what groups like the Sierra Club and League of Women Voters are endorsing, see: http://speakoutca.org/now/2006general.php

 Endorse Props 1A - 1E by sending an email to marc_blinder at bmwl.net.  (You can indicate which propositions you are supporting.)  For more info on Props 1A - 1E: www.Plan4OurFuture.org

 Prop 1A-Transportation Investment Fund: Ensures that gasoline sales tax revenues are dedicated to transportation projects and will provide billions of dollars in funding for public transit throughout the state.

 Prop 1B-Highway Safety, Traffic Reduction, Air Quality, Port Security Bond Act: Provides billions to mass transit, reduce congestion, improve air quality, reduce emissions from ports and retrofit or replace old diesel school buses.  (I know this is opposed by some EJ groups concerned about increasing diesel exhaust.  I say let's work to ensure that only clean burning trucks are allowed on ALL California highways.)

 YES Prop 1C-Housing and Emergency Shelter Trust Fund Act: Supports Smart Growth, Urban Infill, Urban Parks, key to reduce sprawl and improve quality of life.

 Prop 1D-Education Facilities:  Kindergarten-University Public Education Facilities: School Modernization and new construction, including incentives for environmentally friendly green school projects.

 Prop 1E-Disaster Preparedness and Flood Prevention Bond Act: Protecting Our Water and Preventing Floods: Enhances water supplies, funds stormwater flood management to protect our beaches from polluted runoff.

 YES Prop 84 Water Quality, Safety and Supply. Flood Control. Natural Resource Protection. Park Improvements: Authorizes $5.4 billion to fund projects relating to safe drinking water, water quality and supply, flood control, waterway and natural resource protection, water pollution and contamination control, state and local park improvements, public access to natural resources, and conservation efforts. (www.yeson84.com)

 YES Prop 87 Alternative Energy. Research, Production, Incentives. Tax on California Oil: Initiates tax on extraction of oil without increasing gasoline prices, funds alternative energy technology to reduce global warming and clean our air (www.yeson87.com)

 YES Prop 89 Political Campaigns. Public Financing. Corporate Tax Increase. Contribution and Expenditure Limits: Provides "clean money" public financing (that will reduce influence of big corporations in elections). (www.cleanmoneyelections.org)

 NO Prop 90 Government Acquisition, Regulation of Private Property: Has extreme provisions that erode our ability to pass laws to protect natural resources, wildlife and habitat, ensure water quality and adequate water supplies, and regulate growth and development.  Prop. 90's far-reaching provisions allow virtually anyone to sue claiming a new law or regulation has impacted the value of their property or business.  (www.noprop90.com)

 Note: My personal opinion on the other propositions is:

 NO Prop. 83 requires sex offenders who have served their jail time and are trying to get rehabilitated to reside only in rural areas where jobs are scarce, not a helpful idea.

 NO Prop. 85 prohibits abortions for anyone under 18 until 48 hours after parental notification, unless she gets a court order.  Sounds to me like a way to force a girl who has difficulty relating to her parents to carry the pregnancy to full term.

 YES Prop. 86 taxes cigarettes to increase emergency health services, nursing education and health insurance to eligible children, plus tobacco-use-prevention programs (plus higher prices discourage smoking).

 NO Prop. 88 imposes a brand new $50 tax on every parcel of land in the state (a bureaucratic nightmare) to provide grants mainly to the best-performing schools, not those that need the most help.