[Lapg] Oakland Food Policy

heather joy heatherjoy42 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 13:45:05 PST 2006

An inspiring movement going on in Oakland.  Please forward to folks up there.  How might we get something like this going in other cities?

******************************

HELP CREATE AN OAKLAND FOOD POLICY COUNCIL

This December 12th and 19th, we can help Oakland become a model green
city by supporting the passage of city-legislation to create a Food
Policy Council.

* Take Action - Tell your Oakland City Council Member that you are in
favor of the creation of a Food Policy Council.
City Council Member contact details are here:
http://www.oaklandnet.com/government/council/city-officials.html

WHAT'S A FOOD POLICY COUNCIL?
If created, the Food Policy Council will consist of a group of
yet-to-be-appointed people that will advocate for and recommend policies
to the City in order to create a healthy and sustainable food system.
Specific goals of the Food Policy Council will be to increase the amount
of locally grown food available in Oakland, reduce hunger and food
insecurity, and promote economic opportunities within the food sector.

Read the resolution here:
http://clerkwebsvr1.oaklandnet.com/attachments/15089.pdf

The need for a Food Policy Council originated from recommendations
outlined in a 2005 study of Oakland's food system by the Department of
City and Regional Planning at the University of California, Berkeley,
and the Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown's Office of Sustainability.

Read the study: http://oaklandfoodsystem.pbwiki.com/

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?
According to the study, approximately 29% of residents in Alameda County
are impacted by hunger or food insecurity, our food travels 1,500
global-warming inducing carbon-laden miles to reach our plate, and small
farming operations are going bankrupt because they're being priced out
by agribusiness.

WHAT'S THE SOLUTION?
Food Policy Councils in other cities have achieved remarkable success at
helping to create a food system that benefits people.   For instance in
2001, the Berkeley Food Policy Council helped Berkeley City Council pass
a food policy requiring school cafeterias to serve fresh, local and
organic foods to its 9,500 students, with a commitment "to increase the
amount of products purchased from local farms".   We can do that here in
Oakland.

WHAT CAN I DO?
Of course, like everything, the success of Oakland's Food Policy Council
is dependent upon citizen involvement so PLEASE GET INVOLVED....

1) FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO SUPPORTERS

2) FIND OUT MORE, GET INVOLVED
Contact Jess Bell to find out more: 415 425 8837 or
jessic- at riseup.net.

3) TELL OAKLAND CITY COUNCIL YOU SUPPORT THIS FOOD POLICY COUNCIL
* Contact your City Council member
http://www.oaklandnet.com/government/council/city-officials.html . Tell
them that you support an Oakland Food Policy Council. Congratulate them
if they support the bill!

* Attend and speak in support of the Food Policy Council at the Life
Enrichment Committee City Council meeting on DECEMBER 12th, 2006, 6pm.
The Food Policy Council bill needs to pass this committee before it can
go to a full City Council vote. Oakland City Hall, 1 Frank H. Ogawa
Plaza, (Between 14th and 15th Streets) Oakland. (near 12th Street BART
station)

* Attend and speak in support of the Food Policy Council to all of the
City Council members on DECEMBER 19th 2006, 7pm onwards. Oakland City
Hall, 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Oakland. The meeting can run late, so you
can call 415 425 8837 that evening for details on when the Food Policy
Council will be discussed at the meeting.

(Make sure to fill out a speaker card in advance of the meeting at:
http://www.oaklandnet.com/government/city_clerk/speaker_instructions.cfm