[Lapg] Sustainable World Radio Friday Dec 15 9am interview with Brazilian Permaculture Teacher Marsha Hanzi PST CORRECTION

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Dec 15 06:30:06 PST 2006

This Week: Polycultures in the Brazilian Drylands
with Permaculture Teacher Marsha Hanzi

On Friday, December 15 at 9:00 am, PST and on
Monday, December 18th, at 9:00 am PST,
Sustainable World is broadcasting a live
interview with Marshi Hanzi .(www.marsha.com.br)

The Polyculture model is an adaptation  and
imitation of the local ecosystem, including the
factors of density, biodiversity, and dynamism.
Although Brazil is best known for its vast
rainforests, it is also home to an immense
semi-arid region of over 900,000 square
kilometers and growing! Located in the northeast
part of the country, the Sertão region is
composed of hundreds of micro-climates and
specific ecosystems, rich in fauna and flora. It
is also densely populated 10 million inhabitants and highly degraded.

Her main motive for getting into Permaculture has
been the question of Brazil´s unsustainable
agricultural model.  She participated in the
founding of the Brazilian agroforest movement,
inspired by the successional model of Ernst
Gotsch. In 2003 Marsha moved to a piece of bare
sand in the Brazilian drylands, where she is now
implementing the "Marizá Epicenter for Culture
and Agroecology", a space open to courses and
events, nestled in a newly-planted cashew-based agroforest ( 15 acres)

As always, if you have any questions or comments
during airtime, please call the
station at (805) 893-2424.

Sustainable World Radio: Friday mornings at 9:00
am PST, and Monday mornings at
9:00 am PST on KCSB 91.9 FM in Santa Barbara,
California. Also, streaming live world
wide on www.KCSB.org.

Please email events to be listed in our Community
Calendar to sustainableworldradio at earthlink.net.

Invitation from Marsha and Brazilian Permaculture
to visit their sites in Brasil

Dear Permaculture Friends,

  IPC-8 is to be held here in
Brazil in 2007.

We are a group of Brazilian Permaculturists, some with
more than 20 years of experience. We work locally and
regionally in various forms: private and community
projects, in institutes, with indigenous communities ,
with farmers, universities, social movements and
professionally as rural and urban consultants. Over
the years, as result of the need to share experiences
and mutual inspiration, the Permear  Permaculturists
Network was born, which has, as basic characteristics,
  the ethics of permaculture,  interpersonal
relationships and free exchange of information,
through internet forums and in periodic meetings which
occur in  the various regions of the country.

Our network is growing as desired, naturally and
organically. At present we are 40 members spread over
the various ecosystems in Brazil in projects which
involve many other permaculturists , in 9 states of
this immense country.

In our last meeting in Brasilia, in July of 2006, we
decided that, for us, the IPC-8 is important and
inspiring. We will be happy and proud to present our
projects in the convergence and share our experiences
with other permaculturists. As such, we will be
participating in the event as any other permaculturist
would, through the official site of the event. It is
our intention that our interactions be positive for
all and principally for the development of
Permaculture in Brazil.

Furthermore, we would be happy to offer our
permaculture sites for visitation from those
colleagues who will be coming to this continent called
Brazil. Our doors will be open before and after the
events of the IPC-8. Those interested should enter in
contact directly with us individually. Visit our site
www.permear.org.br

Best wishes to all ,
Members of  Permear, Brazilian Permaculturists
Network.