[Lapg] Mid-Summer Newsletter

Quail Springs info at quailsprings.org
Wed Jul 18 18:21:41 PDT 2007

Quail Springs' Mid-Summer 2007 Newsletter

ANNOUNCEMENTS

We're continuing to welcome Summer and Fall Interns to join our
team!
Work and live "on the farm" through volunteer internships beginning with up to one month,
with possibility of up to 6 months.   Assist with ongoing permaculture development of the
farm and share in community life.  Projects this year include food systems, gardening,
aquaculture, natural building, watershed restoration, animal husbandry, capital campaign
development, and more.  Experience and training is not needed, although this is a great
opportunity to further experience and education in all aspects of farm and permaculture site
development.    Contact info at quailsprings.org for more info.

Available for pre-purchase!  Quail Springs, An Experiment in
Permaculture
Quail Springs, An Experiment in Permaculture, by Joss Jaffe, serves as an important research
and development tool supporting permaculture design and the long term vision of Quail
Springs.  If you are interested in pre-purchasing the book, please let us know at
info at quailsprings.org.  The cost of this full color book is $30 including the CD, or $10 for the
CD only, plus $5 shipping.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Service Learning Weekend-  August 25th and 26th, Saturday and
Sunday
Come out to learn, work and play on the farm!  Projects may include permaculture gardening,
watershed restoration, and more.  All ages are welcome to volunteer and experience is not
necessary.  Food is potluck and camping is nearby.   Contact info at quailsprings.org or 805-
886-7239 to RSVP or for more info.

Permaculture Tea and Talk with Darren Doherty - October 13th in
Ojai - details TBA

Permaculture Design Course at Quail Springs with Darren Doherty
DATES:  October 15-27, 2007

COST:   EARLY REGISTRATION DISCOUNTS FOR PAYMENTS RECEIVED IN FULL -  $1200
by August 15th ;  $1350 by September 15th
$1450 for payment after Septmber 15th with a $400 non-refundable deposit and balance due
by Oct 8th
Payment plans and Barter considered on case-by-case basis.  Work-trade in kitchen during
the course is available for those not seeking certification.

This 72-hour certificate program is a 12-day, residential design course
(camping and meals included) with 1-day break midway.

CONTACT:    Kolmi Majumdar info at quailsprings.org  OR 805-886-7239

Permaculture is a holistic approach to land use design, based on ecological principles and
patterns. It aims to create stable, productive systems that provide for human needs,
harmoniously integrating the land with people. Permaculture principles can be applied to
any environment, at any scale - from dense urban settlements to individual homes, from
farms to entire regions.

This world-recognized, 72-hour course provides an introduction to Permaculture as set forth
by movement founders Bill Mollison and David Holmgren. Students are invited to bring
details of their own sites or potential sites and explore site-specific Permaculture solutions.
The course covers sustainable living systems for a wide variety of landscapes and climates.

Course Content
The course includes the application of Permaculture principles with specific topics,
including:
*                     Theory and principles of Permaculture
*                     Nature-friendly house placement and design
*                     Energy conservation techniques for cold and warm climates
*                     Recycling and waste management
*                     Soil rehabilitation and erosion control
*                     Organic food production
*                     Water harvesting and management including earthworks
*                     Drought-proofing
*                     Animal husbandry and Aquaculture
*                     Catastrophe preparedness and prevention
*                     Windbreaks and fire control
*                     Aspects of Community Design
*                     Legal strategies supporting Permaculture solutions

The course will be taught by Australian Permaculture Teacher:

Darren Doherty
Darren has had extensive experience across the planet in Permaculture project design,
development & management, with a focus on retrofitting broadacre agricultural systems, and
has been identified by Permaculture Co-Originators Bill Mollison & David Holmgren as a
pioneer in this important & often overlooked field. Darren has taught on over 25
Permaculture Design Certificate Courses (PDC's) including co- teaching PDC's with both Bill
Mollison & David Holmgren & a range of other quality Permaculture educators. He is a
registered teacher with Bill Mollison's The Permaculture Institute (Registration No. 25), a
qualified hole Farm Planner (University of Melbourne), Approved Keyline Design Consultant,
& Accredited Permaculture Training (APT) Trainer. More about Darren:
http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=153246936&u=1484590

Quail Springs, the focus site of the course, is a 450-acre arid-land farm at 3600 feet
elevation whose caretakers are shaping the land and our lives towards a demonstration of
sustainability. This farm is in its fourth year of development of community-built structures, a
spring-fed gravity flow water system, gabions, swales, pond, tree plantings, food forest,
animal systems and a great community spirit.

Darren Doherty will be teaching other Permaculture &  Keyline Design course in the U.S.A.
in 2007, see http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=153246936&u=1484591 for details..

EcoNest workshops
The beginning stages of the EcoNest will involve workshops in which builders, home owners,
or other interested folks will work with the EcoNest team in a series of two workshops that
give the participant a solid foundation in understanding this unique system of sustainable
building.  The Timberframe Workshop is scheduled for November 5-11.  The Clay/Straw
Building Training is November 12-17.  Cost is TBA.   If you would like to be on an initial
interest contact list, please email info at quailsprings.org.

Events hosted by friends of Quail Springs

"Ojai Growing Green Party" on July 28th...come join us for a great
event put on by Earth Play and Nutiva!
When  Saturday July 28th from 8 p.m.-11 p.m.  Where  Earth Play Eco Store 501 East Ojai
Ave at Fox Street next door to Sea Fresh
 What Live Music, DJ's, and Dancers-HempShake  Smoothies and Organic Models  Music
Come enjoy Brad Buley & friends, Surprise Guests and more... Dance Amazing Dancer
JoAnne Terry...and great Music!  Bring  An open heart and mind.
Sponsored By  EARTH PLAY ECOSTORE and NUTIVA

Permaculture Potluck in Los Olivos - Saturday, August 4th , 9:30 am
Hosted by Trish  (to RSVP  call 805-688-6707 or email
crazymiles at earthlink.net)

Out of the recent permaculture course with Geoff Lawton and Darren Doherty at Quail
Springs, Trish, one of the graduates, got inspired to revive some down-to-earth gatherings
for local and regional permaculture enthusiasts.

After completing the PDC course at Quail Springs, we feel it is never a better time to initiate an
ongoing permaculture collaboration. This will begin as a potluck gathering next month on the
land we rent in the village of Los Olivos.

The property is not exactly urban but is located in the heart of the village, surrounded by
wineries, organic farms and agriculture.   We moved the garden from Zone 4 to Zone 1, and
are now experiencing a wave of curiosity from locals. The response comes with a feeling of
excitement about a possible community permaculture garden.  On one side of us we have the
elementary school and just down the hill we have wine tasting rooms and the local coffee
shop where we get  our coffee grinds for compost. We are recycling wine bottles as edges
around the garden and have just completed a chicken/duck coop made from recycled
materials. The timing for sustainable design (education) in this area is perfect as is this
location.

The meetings could begin with a dialogue of ideas about the land that we rent with the idea of
participating on any projects that come to mind, book sharing, videos, courses, and any vital
information related to permaculture. The fact that some people represent more years of
experience is perfect for those of us who are beginners. The purpose is to explore,
experiment, and contribute to sustainable sites as well as strengthen the thread of
permaculture community.  Perhaps participants would be open to traveling site to site. For
example, if someone in Santa Barbara would like to open up their home for a meeting, then
maybe someone from San Luis Obispo...we could meet on a monthly or bi-monthly schedule
depending on schedules and the wants/needs of participants.

At this stage the days and times are flexible. However, due to summer temperatures in the
Santa Ynez Valley, our first meeting will take place on Saturday August 4th at 9:30 a.m. Since
this is an exploration please come with anything you might feel be related to our first
discussion. This is truly an exploration of ideas and energy!

To RSVP you can call Trish at 688-6707 or email  crazymiles at earthlink.net

Quail Springs is a project of the True Nature Society, a community
supported non-profit organization.
Please consider giving a financial or in-kind donation to help us continue
offering important services to the community.

TO MAKE A FINANCIAL DONATION TO QUAIL SPRINGS ONLINE,
GO TO http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=153246936&u=1484592
Or send in your contribution to PO Box 417, New Cuyama, CA 93254.
Thank you!

In-kind donation needs list
*	Chain link fencing for watershed restoration project
*	Used mixed size lumber for small building project
*	SunShade Sails (http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=153246936&u=1484593) or other shading materials
*	Self-powered arc welder/generator
*	Bicycles w/baskets or trailers for sustainable transportation on farm
*	Bike repair tools and spare parts
*	Flail mower
*	3-point hitch grater for our tractor

On-going Needs
*	MULCH, GRAVEL, ROCK, Farm equipment, Trees and garden plants

Service Needs
*	Marketing consultation, Event planning services, Catering services for special events

Our postal address is
PO Box 417
New Cuyama, California 93254
United States