[Lapg] hippophae rhamnoides: a special tree

Lois Arkin crsp at igc.org
Tue Jul 24 08:41:21 PDT 2007

Hi John,
Thanks for this additional info.  Unfortunately, I didn't read about the
thorny part before sending my note off to colleagues, and, of course, 16
inches of rain a year is not to be relied on in So. California.  Our
average is about 14 but we've had the worst drought since keeping track
this past year--only 3.3.  So they would have a hard time being accepted
as street trees here.

Nonetheless, it does sound like a fabulous tree, and in L.A. it would
still be very good as organic security as well as food for people--like
cactus and pricker berries.  Again, I'm forwarding your additional info
to our local permaculture folks.

Best.
Lois