[Lapg] September LAPG Newsletter

Taylor Arneson taylorist at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 12:58:09 PDT 2007

September 2007
Los Angeles Permaculture Guild Newsletter

Hey everyone,

Feel free to repost this newsletter where appropriate

Thanks,

Taylor Arneson
taylorist at gmail.com

NEW! Google Calendar for LAPG events (for access to add event info email me)

*
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=io0fga75ecar1uu8qbsn2e7dqc%40group.calendar.google.com
*

NEEDS

-- Quail Springs is continuing to welcome interns to join their team. Work
and live "on the farm" up to 6 months. Assist with permaculture development
and share in community life.  Projects include food systems, gardening,
aquaculture, natural building, watershed restoration, animal husbandry,
capital campaign development, and more.  Experience and training not needed.
Contact info at quailsprings.org  for more info.

- Support needed for Trees for Children - a new organization created to
plant the number of trees that were used in the construction of a home. This
benefits Quail Springs where much of the reforestation will happen They
intend to turn that desert back into a forest. www.treesforchildren.org

-- We need 15 gallon pots for our trees which are growing like crazy!  We
have big avocados, loquats, asian pears and many more that need
transplanting.  We will also take smaller pots, those get used too,
including the square ones for seedlings.  Contact Cory, Earth Food
Solutions  cory8570 at yahoo.com. We will pick them up if there is enough to
make it worth the trip (not very many probably).

-- Need - items for a silent auction. We will be having a fundraiser for our
educational organization, EarthBridge Institute, in September and we're
looking for items that can be sold at a silent auction.   These can be
anything from artwork to good tools to ...?   You will get a receipt for
donation, it is a non-profit.   Educational activities include seminars,
educational materials, etc, on the subjects of food forestry and
permaculture. Cory cory8570 at yahoo.com

-- Eco Home needs help with promoting their tours - The number of visitors
has decreased recently and they are exploring new opportunities to spread
the word. Contact Dianne Carter at dcarterpr at earthlink.net. More about Eco
Home /www.ecohome.org/pages/index.html

-- Earthflow Design Works seeks: Residential and Commercial Sites for
demonstrating Lawn Conversions to Vegetable/Food Forest; Used Vegetable Oil
supply/contacts; Web Designers to trade for Permaculture Design Course;
Landscape Contractors; Marketing and Promotional Assistants/Commission
Sales. Contact Larry Santoyo santoyo at earthflow.com 805-459-0452

EMANATE needs monetary and material donations to pull off their next
installation, Density Fields, with the Oyler-Wu Collaborative. Be the envy
of your competitors! All donations are tax-deductible. Contact
jenna at emanate.org or 323.913.0915. www.emanate.org

SURPLUS
Put it here and share the wealth (give-away, barter or sell)

-- 16 to 24 wood railroad ties. These railroad ties are free for the
taking.That's right, free railroad ties! All one has to do to obtain them
is: Let us know that you want them and then haul them away by the end of the
day on Monday, September 3, 2007 (Labor Day.) It's that easy. If you are
interested please e-mail nick at emanate.org.

-- Young cockerels need good homes. Organically Raised Pet Roosters raised
holistically and organically. Hand-raised, these are spunky but adorable
young roosters. $10 per cockerel, price negotiable on certain conditions:
Buff Brahma (Bantam), Black Cochin (Bantam) , Golden Laced Cochin (Bantam),
Partridge Rock (Bantam), Silver Penciled Rock (Bantam), Buff Brahma
(Standard). Hens of these breeds may also be available. Jordanne Dervaes
jordanne at pathtofreedom.com or 626-795-8400

RESOURCES
goods and services of interest to the community
-- Available for pre-purchase!  Quail Springs, An Experiment in Permaculture
by Joss Jaffe, is an important research and development tool supporting
permaculture design and the long term vision of Quail Springs. Pre-purchase
the book by contacting info at quailsprings.org.  $30 includes CD, or $10 for
CD only, plus $5 shipping.

-- Hopedance offer: For $250 Hopedance Magazine will give you a full page to
do what you want (listings, calendars, ads, articles, art, etc.) plus you
get 1,000 copies of hopedance to do what you want. The page would be inside
the regular issue of HopeDance. The next issue is on Relocalization.  Bob
Banner 805 544 9663 www.hopedance.org

-- Path to Freedom's Peddlers Wagon
http://pathtofreedom.com/peddlerswagon/- Practical goods for your home
and garden, including ollas, solar ovens,
bike trailers and more. From the wonderful Dervaes family homestead.

-- Ergonomic Weed Twister by Ergonica - If you wish to remove a misplaced
plant or weed and minimally till the soil, try the Ergonica Weed Twister.
This surgically precise tool is made in So. Cal. by people who may be your
neighbors.  The Weed Twister comes in three sizes to accommodate different
situations and people. Ray Cruz
www.weedtwister.com

-- Compost - Tim Dundon 626-794-1351 theroyalsoil at 2doo.com www.2doo.com Tim
is the King of Compost. He will deliver a huge dumptruck of horse manure and
sawdust for 80.00 to your hungry soil. He might offer you some sage
philosophy for free while he's at it.

-- Earthflow Design Works offers the following products, services and
skills: Permaculture Land Planning and Design -Training and Services;
Jewelry Designs; Clothing Designs. Graphic Design & Photography. See
www.earthflow.com for more info

-- Cob-a-nation with Ray Cirino! Ray is THE guy for cob in Los Angeles. His
beautiful ovens, benches and other structures can be seen at LA Eco-Village,
Path to Freedom and many private residences around the city. Check out his
new cob playhouses! He also builds rocket stoves and welds amazing
trellises. Hire him to lead a workshop or build something for you. email
cobanation at yahoo.com

WORKPARTIES, POTLUCKS AND EVENTS

-- Saturday, Sunday, September 1st-2nd, 8am-8pm      Echo Park
1st Annual Thank Tank 2007 -Back To Your Basics- a 48-hour no budget
conference on the essentials:
shelter, education, transportation, food, good ol' arts, and the prospect of
a fruitful future.
(events subject to change)  < http://eighteen-thirty.blogspot.com/  >

-- Saturday, September 1, 1:00 p.m. to dusk, and Sunday and Monday too--
during the same hours. we will be busy at Materials & Applications taking
down the Anja Franke's Igloo(Ukendt) and preparing theground for our next
exhibition, Dwayne Oyler and Jenny Wu's Density Fields. We will be digging
up several wooden structures buried on the site. If you have a shovel or
pick or rake that you can bring, that will be great.
<  http://www.emanate.org/  >

-- through Sunday, September 2
In Katrina's Wake: Portraits of Loss from a Natural Disaster
At the Armory, 145 N. Raymond Ave., Old Pasadena. In this powerful project,
Seattle-based photographer Chris Jordan portrays the devastation of
Hurricane Katrina on a personal scale, framing poignantly desolate details
in the ruined landscape. On view in the Mezzanine Gallery.  <
http://www.armoryarts.org/gallery/gallery.html  >

-- Wednesday, September 5, 6:30pm, Santa Monica College
Sustainable Works Returns, SMC Environmental and Urban Issues Series
FREE Lecture at SMC's Bundy Campus, Room 123  The tradition continues: Our
Sustainable Works experts will kick off this semester's lecture series.
Don't miss this discussion of how students, residents, and businesses are
turning green AND saving money.
 < http://events.smc.edu/environmental.html >

-- Friday, September 7, 2007 from 10am to 8pm (come for as long or short as
you like) Sunset Junction
Dome Garden workparty with potluck. Help plan, design and contribute to a
small, urban demonstration garden, now with full water rights. Earthbag
Domes, fountains, showers with greywater, chinampas, fruit and veggies will
eventually be installed. If you have plants, tools, seeds or soil surplus
bring them by. This event is non-hierarchical. contact
taylorist at gmail.comfor more info

-- Saturday, September 8, 2007 from 9:30 to 1:30 pm at LAEcoVillage
Toward a Mediative Culture with Esfandiar Abbassi This four hour workshop
will set the stage for becoming more effective in a variety of areas that
require new paradigm social skills.  The workshop is targeted for people who
have had introductory training in non-violent communciations.  Fee:   $45
Reservations Required:    213/738-1254 or crsp at igc.org      Prerequisite
Recommended:  Previous introductory training in non-violent communications
< http://www.laecovillage.org/UseUpcoming%20events.html >

-- Sunday September 9, noon - sunset
Edendale Farm is having a makeover on the chicken mansion and tractor. Come
lend a hand giving these hens a better home and learn a few things about
caring for poultry. Also demonstrations on sheet mulching and start
assembling an outdoor kitchen for the potluck later in the month. Free,
 contact . . .  info at sustainablehabitats.org     <
http://sustainablehabitats.org/  >

-- Saturday, September 15, 1-10 PM, Live Art, Live Earth!  The Eco-artist
cooperative "The Edge Between Universes" offers a unique and aesthetic
community experience in our Sunland food forest.   We will have music,
dance, poetry, visual arts of all kinds, sustainable art, pottery, other
crafts, kids' activities, solar ovens, information on creating sustainable
community, and much unexpected fun and edge.   We are looking for artists of
all kinds and experts in sustainability to help us create the event and
interact, play, enlighten and experience our community for a day.     We are
looking for any and all people who love art and/or community to come and
enjoy the day.   It's a 100 mile potluck, food, drink or snacks created
within 100 miles is encouraged but not required.
< myspace.com/theedgebetweenuniverses > for updates on participating
artists, location, etc.

-- Friday, September 21,  (multiple locations)
   In 2005, San Francisco's Rebar Group transformed a parking space into a
public park in an effort to encourage dialogue about public space in their
city. The idea has caught on here in Los Angeles and a diverse group of
artists, designers, activists, and residents have come together to celebrate
the first annual Park(ing) Day LA. If you care about LA's parks and open
space and want to get involved in the fun, visit our web site for details at

  < www.parkingdayla.com >

 September 22nd- 23rd (Saturday and Sunday) New Cuyama
Come out and help with the harvest and gardens, and gabion building! All
ages are welcome to volunteer and experience is not necessary.  Food is
potluck and camping is nearby.   Contact info at quailsprings.org or
805-886-7239 to RSVP or for more info.

-- Saturday, September 22, 6:30 pm, Malibu
Fall Equinox Potluck Celebration, Potluck dinner, season greeting, music
making. $10-20 suggested donation.
< http://elwright.net/wrightway/location.html >

-- September 29, 2007 at 7pm and ongoing
Los Angeles Permaculture Guild Monthly Full Moon Potluck
Come to Edendale Farm (David Khan's residence) for a monthly potluck with
the Los Angeles Permaculture Guild as we snack and discuss relevant issues
of the global and local villages. Bring something to eat please.
For future full moon dates see:
http://www.james.head.btinternet.co.uk/hashwebsite/hashdiary/lunardates.html

-- Thursday, September 27, 7-9pm, Westchester
Movie:  "Contested Streets" explores the history and culture of New York
City streets from pre-automobile times to the present. This examination
allows for an understanding of how the city -- though the most well served
by mass transit in the United States -- has slowly relinquished what was a
rich, multi-dimensional conception of the street as public space to a
mindset that prioritizes the rapid movement of cars and trucks over all
other functions.  (57 minutes)  <
http://www.contestedstreets.com/about.html>  Following the movie we
will discuss how these concepts fit into our Los
Angeles environment, and what we can do about them.

PERMACULTURE COURSES:

-- September 17th - 30th  2007
Permaculture Design Certificate Course in the South of France with Larry
Santoyo & Friends. Course will be taught in English...£350.00  (less than
$700.00 US) plus airfare. Includes Meals, Dormitory Accommodations and
Transport from local train stations. For More Information:
http://earthflow.com/france2007.php Join an international group of Artists,
Musicians, Designers & EcoBuilders for an unforgettable Permaculture Design
Course Experience near Saint Laurent Sous Coiron, in the Ardeche region in
the South of France. 1 1/2 hours driving from Lyon and Nimes airports.

-- Oct 2007 - March 2008
the 5th Annual Los Angeles Permaculture Design Course with Larry Santoyo.
Held the FIRST weekend of each month santoyo at earthflow.com 805-459-0452
note - Larry is still looking to trade scholarships to the course -for-
venues, lodging and sponsorship

-- October 15-27 Permaculture Design Course at Quail Springs with Darren
Doherty. Darren has had extensive experience across the planet in
Permaculture project design, development & management, with a focus on
retrofitting broadacre agricultural systems, and has been identified by
Permaculture Co-Originators Bill Mollison & David Holmgren as a pioneer in
this important & often overlooked field. Early registration discounts
offered:  - $1200 by August 15/ $1350 by September 15/$1450 after Septmber
15. Payment plans, barter, work trades available. This 72-hour certificate
program is a 12-day, residential design course (camping and meals included)
with 1-day break midway. CONTACT:    Kolmi Majumdar info at quailsprings.org
OR 805-886-7239

-- Saturday, October 13th 5:30-7 pm Talk and 7-7:30
Permaculture Tea and Talk in Ojai
with Darren Doherty, Australian Keyline designer and Permaculture teacher
 Discussion at Earth Play in Ojai, 501 East Ojai Ave at Fox Street next door
to Sea Fresh

ONGOING CLASSES AND EVENTS

-- Sundays and Thursdays 2-7pm (come anytime you can)
Food Not Bombs is organized according to anarchist principles of
non-hierarchy and decentralization. We take food that would otherwise be
thrown away and make healthy, vegan meals for the hungry. We cook in the
Sunset Junction area of Silver Lake as well as Highland Park and serve our
delicious vegetarian food every Thursday and Sunday in Downtown Los Angeles.
Join us!
< http://lafoodnotbombs.org/ >

Sundays  from 10AM-12, come to our food forest/nursery in Sunland and enjoy
camaraderie and working in the food forest.  Learn some things, share seeds,
stories, plants, other resources.  We can especially use people the next
couple of weeks to help us pretty it up for a mid-month event.  If you have
an aesthetic eye, come lend a hand and your ideas :-))  Write for address:
cory8570 at yahoo.com

-- September 9, 2007
Tours of the Eco-Home™ environmental demonstration home in the Los Feliz
area of Los Angeles are scheduled
Contact: (323) 662-5207
ecohome at pacbell.net
Reservations in advance required.

-- Thursdays, September 13, October 11, November 8, December 13, 7 p.m.
Conscientious Projector
At the Armory, 145 N. Raymond Ave., Old Pasadena Second Thursday of each
month, a free documentary film screening, a series presented by Sustainable
World and The Theatre of the Oppressed. Meet filmmakers, and join in
discussions.   < http://www.armoryarts.org/gallery/gallery.html  >

-- September 14, 2007 @ Noon Chinatown
Farmlab Public Salon
Adolfo V. Nodal
"L.A. City Arts: Notes on Cultural Planning..."
W/ Introduction by Laura Chick

-- Saturday, September 15th 2pm
 Kombucha Camp
Kombucha Kamp is a fun workshop designed to inform, enlighten and tantalize
your senses. The Kamp starts out with a sampling of my latest flavors.
Creating flavors is one of the fun, creative parts of the process and I
enjoy trying new things. I also use this time to talk about some of the many
health benefits of Kombucha. The cost is $20 per person and includes the
starter kit. The workshop is conducted in my home near Culver City. Because
my home is small, the workshop size is limited so RSVP early! The dates and
times are listed on the calendar below. Email kombuchakamp at gmail.com with
any questions or reservations.

-- Friday, Saturday & Sunday October 14-16  8:30am to 4:30pm
FALL FESTIVAL THEODORE PAYNE FOUNDATION
Don't miss our annual celebration of the optimal planting season for
California native plants. Fall Festival takes place Friday, October 12
through Sunday, October 14, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm daily. Admission is free.
Members are entitled to a 15% discount on all plants in 1-gallon-size
containers and larger. Nonmembers receive a 10% discount. Everyone gets a
once-a-year 10% discount on all seed. We'll also be offering a nice
selection of native bulbs (no discount). Mark your calendars and get that
wish list ready!

-- September 23, 2007
ecohome at pacbell.net
Reservations in advance required.

COMING UP IN THE FALL SEASON:

-- Saturday, October 6, 2007 from 10 am to noon Los Angeles Ecovillage
Intentional Communities Network Gathering facilitated by Lois Arkin
for and with:
-  those already living in intentional communities
-  those who want to join an existing community
-  those who want to start an urban intentional community start-up group
here in Los Angeles
No charge
Reservations required:  213/738-1254 or crsp at igc.org

-- October 07, 2007 10am - 4pm South Central Los Angeles

South Central Farmers Tianguis Bringing Food to the Hood- Organic produce,
Workshops and Food Demonstrations, Music and Entertainment. On 41st Street
(between Long Beach and Alameda) The SCFHEF Community Center & Gallery 1702
E. 41st Street, Los Angeles, CA 90058  (Metro: Exit Blue Line Vernon Station
and walk four blocks North) After a year of continuing the struggle, the
South Central Farmers bring their first harvest of corn into the South
Central community. While unable to farm the 14 acres at Alameda and 41st
street, the fight for food sovereignty, land access, and a better quality of
life continues for the South Central Farmers. Displaced, but not defeated,
the farmers remain committed the work of bringing change to their
communities.

-- November 5-11 EcoNest Quail Springs Timberframe Workshop is scheduled
for  The Clay/Straw Building Training is November 12-17.  Cost is TBA.   If
you would like to be on an initial interest contact list, please email info
at quailsprings.org.

-- November 17, Opportunity Green Conference at UCLA
Is Green the new Gold? Opportunity Green brings together entrepreneurs,
executives and investors focused on building profitable, socially conscious
and sustainable enterprises. Explore viral marketing, leveraging the power
of online networks to facilitate innovation, how to secure funding in the
green marketplace and more....www.opportunitygreen.com

SO. CAL PERM ORGS
Los Angeles:
- Earthflow http://www.earthflow.com/ Larry Santoyo
santoyo at earthflow.com805-459-0452
- LA EcoVillage: Lois Arkin crsp at igc.org 213/738-1254
- LA Permaculture Guild: Camille Cimino camcim at yahoo.com Joan Stevens
323-630-4673 mamabotanica at sbcglobal.net.

Points north:
- Ojai Permaculture Guild: Dave White david at ojaicra.org 805-646-9809
- Santa Barbara Permaculture Network: Margie Bushman
sbpcnet at silcom.com805-962-2571
www.sbpermaculture.org
- Sierra Permaculture Guild, Paul Racko paul at sierrapermaculture.org ,
http://sierrapermaculture.org

Points south:
- PC Institute of Southern California (Laguna Beach): Bill Roley
DrRoley at cox.net 949-494-5843
- San Diego Permaculture Center: San Diego Economic Conversion Council
sdecc at igc.org (619)
255-6111 (new one)

STAY IN TOUCH: LISTS
- Los Angeles Permaculture Guild e-list
https://www.arashi.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/lapg
- Southern CA Permaculture Guild e-list
https://www.arashi.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/scpg
- LACity Repair e-list http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/cityrepairla
- Los Angeles Permaculture Guild on Tribe http://lapcguild.tribe.net

LINKS
Permaculture Activist Magazine www.permacultureactivist.net
Permaculture Credit Union www.pcuonline.org
Hopedance Magazine www.hopedance.org
Urban Permaculture Guild http://www.urbanpermacultureguild.org/

To subscribe or unsubscribe to the LAPG newsletter, or to send a notice for
next month, drop an email to taylorist at gmail.com