[Lapg] **Sept/Oct 2007/Santa Barbara Permaculture Network & South Coast Permaculture Guild (SB Chpt) Announcements

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Sep 30 08:32:49 PDT 2007

Hi Everyone-

Although we aren't necessarily doing an official monthly newsletter
anymore, we
have some really great things coming up SOON we wanted you to know about.  And
in this spirit, we will from time to time, continue to send out announcements
of upcoming events from our non-profit, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(www.sbpermaculture.org).

Mark Lakeman of Portland's City Repair Project (www.cityrepair.org) which
is now
a national movement that describes cities, towns, grids and the intersections
where our lives converge, and an effort to guide the grid structure into a
vital social commons, will be returning to Santa Barbara for two events. On
October 4th there will be a lunch time talk and slide show for architects,
planners, government officials, community activists and anyone interested in
the Nuts & Bolts of City Repair, and how it came to be supported by Portland's
city government.  In the evening on that same date, Mark will do a longer
presentation for the general public.  He will also be interviewed on
Sustainable
World Radio, KCSB 91.9fm (streaming live at www.kcsb.org, later posted on
www.radio4all.net) on Friday, Sept 28, 9-10am. See below for more details.

Darren Doherty from Australia (www.permaculture.biz) will also be returning to
Santa Barbara, with a talk on Keyline Design & Sustainable Agriculture on
November 8th, with an interview on Sustainable World Radio on Friday, Oct 5th,
9-10am. Please see below for more details about these and other Keyline Design
courses in California, on this incredibly important topic, of what they refer
to in Australia as Broadacre land care, meaning those vast areas we turn over
to agriculture, many times with devastating results.  Keyline strategies
restore
and regenerate landscapes with water conservation and soil building, and with
carbon sequestering techniques used, helps to address aspects of global
warming
& climate change.

And, the really good news, there is a Santa Barbara permaculture group that
has
begun to hold monthly meetings again in our area, please email Larry Saltzman
at lbsaltzman at aol.com to be put on a list to hear about future meetings.

We continue to announce all of our events on the South Coast Permaculture
Guild
Arashi listserve, that has served this area since 1997.  If you want to make
sure you are alerted to almost everything permaculture related, please sign up
on this one (instructions below).  It is a listserve that serves the community
by being a clearing house of events---not a conversation listserve---so you
won't be bombarded by lots of daily emails.  You may also take the
responsibility of posting your own events easily on it.  It is the umbrella
listserve for many groups and has wide recognition in the permaculture
community.

Hope to see you at an event soon-

Margie Bushman
SB Permaculture Network

<<<
Upcoming Events:

Thur Oct 4, noon - 1pm - Free
Nuts & Bolts of City Repair Project
lunch time talk with Mark Lakeman (www.cityrepair.org)
for City & County Planners, politicians, community activists, builders &
architects
SB Public Library, Faulkner Gallery, 40 E. Anapamu St, Santa Barbara

Thur, Oct 4, 7:45 pm, donation $5
City Repair Project, A Street Corner Revolution
Talk & slide show with Mark Lakeman from Portland, Oregon
SB Public Library, Faulkner Gallery, 40 E. Anapamu St, Santa Barbara

Saturday, Oct 13, 5:30 pm
Permaculture Tea and Talk,  with Darren Doherty
Earth Play, 501 E Ojai Ave , at Fox Street (next to Sea Fresh)
contact Kolmi -info at quailsprings.org

Saturday, October 13, 11am - 4pm
Celebrating the Maya Forest as a Garden
Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Farrand Hall,  Suggested
contribution:
$25-$100
Meet the Mayan Forest Gardeners from El Pilar!
The Maya were superb gardeners, the original "permaculturists" . They
domesticated their wild jungles and tropical landscape and established their
cities based on forest gardens.
Music by El Son del Pueblo • Food and Drinks • Booths
Contact info:  Anabel Ford 805 893 8191/ford at marc.ucsb.edu
www.marc.ucsb.edu/elpilar/brass/phome.shtml

October 15-27
Permaculture Design Course at Quail Springs
with Darren Doherty
12 day - Cuyama, CA
Contact: info at quailsprings.org, www.quailsprings.org

Sat October 20, 10 to Noon
Santa Barbara Organic Garden Club presents:
Backyard Food Forests; Applying Permaculture Principles to your Garden
with Larry Saltzman, founder of the SB Organic Club
RSVP lbsaltzman at aol.com and you will receive directions to the event.

Mon. Oct 22, 6:30 pm
Water for Every Farm
FREE TALK with Darren Doherty
Montgomery Hall at New Cuyama Recreation Center
Highway 166 in New Cuyama
sponsored by Quail Springs
Contact contact Kolmi -info at quailsprings.org, www.quailsprings.org

Sat, Oct 27 7pm
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network presents:
Talk & Slide Show with Ed Mendoza
Location: La Casa de la Raza, Santa Barbara, CA
contact, margie at sbpermaculture.org, www.sbpermaculture.org
Eduardo (Ed) Mendoza author, poet and permaculture teacher & designer,
comes to
Santa Barbara to do a talk & slide show.  Ed has been growing a garden
since he
was a boy, learning from his father.  Ed worked in the fields picking crops
while in high school and college. He then learned about growing blue corn from
Mexico from his adopted grandfather, the late Rafael Guerrero who was one of
the founders of D-Q University. In 1993 he became an Agricultural advisor for
the Traditional Native American Farmers Association and started to train in
permaculture.  He later worked for the Gila River Indian Community
establishing
an aquaculture and farming program to teach young juveniles about traditional
crops and than established an office In Gila River to helps community members
to start agricultural projects on their own. Ed helped establish the Casa
Blanca Growers Cooperative which grow mostly traditional organic crops. Ed has
traveled to Belize and Guatemala to teach about permaculture and the
importance
of growing and saving traditional seeds. Ed has worked with a coalition of
traditional growers that traveled to Italy ( a Slow Foods Conference) and
learned about farming from around the world. Ed has been invited to teach in
Columbia, Thailand and Argentina to talk and demonstrate sustainable farming.
Ed will soon be going to Mexico to work with the Seri community to harvest
mesquite beans this year and to work with the people from there
***Special Note, Fri, Oct 26 2-4pm Marcelino Sepulveda interviews Ed
Mendoza, on
KCSB 91.9fm

<<<

Tue, Nov 6 -- Wed, Nov 7
Keyline Design Course with Darren Doherty
2 day KDC, Arroyo Grande, California, USA
Sponsored by Earthflow Design, www.earthflow.com
Contact Larry Santoyo for bookings and information - santoyo at earthflow.com

Thurs Nov 8, 7pm, donation, $5
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Presents:
Keyline Design and Sustainable Agriculture
Talk & Slide Show with Darren Doherty
Santa Barbara Downtown Library, Faulkner Gallery, Donation $5, no reservations
needed
Contact, margie at sbpermaculture.org , www.sbpermaculture.org

Fri & Sat,  Nov 9 & 10
Keyline Design Course on the Gaviota Coast with Darren Doherty
Orella Ranch, Goleta, California, USA
$250 - Contact GunerTautrim
bookings and more information: <gunerandheidi at yahoo.com>

Saturday, Nov 4-10,
Ferro Cement Water Tank Workshop in Los Olivos, CA
taught by Paul Kemnitzer (working with Ferro Cement since 1982)
In one week build a 10,000 gallon water tank. Learn a skill and a trade.
$650 for the week includes all materials, instruction, tools, meals, and
camping. This course will take place at Spirit Pine Sanctuary, a demonstration
sustainability site.
More info and register  at 805-698-3840

October 2007 through March 2008
5th Annual Los Angeles Permaculture Design Course
with Larry Santoyo of Earthflow Design
1st weekend of each month In and Around Los Angeles County,
Contact Larry Santoyo, santoyo at earthflow.com www.earththflow.com

Jan- June 2008
Santa Barbara Permaculture Design Course
with Larry Santoyo of Earthflow Design
2nd weekend of each month, in and around Santa Barbara County,
Contact Larry Santoyo, santoyo at earthflow.com www.earththflow.com

<<<
**Ongoing 6 week SBCC Adult Education Class already in process:
"JOIN THE GREEN REVOLUTION"
A new 2007 SBCC Adult Education Class presented by The Sustainability Project

Find joy in consuming less and living more. Join local experts to discover how
to live consciously and buy wisely. Measure your "ecological footprint" and
find out how you can reduce it. Six weekly sessions will cover local options
for food, transportation, goods and services, and home and garden

When: Tues, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Faulkner Gallery Santa Barbara Public Library 40 East Anapamu Street
(Series already in process)
SESSION 4 / Oct 2, GOODS & SERVICES / Party Like an Eco-Rockstar! Zero Waste
Events
SESSION 5 / October  9th HOME & GARDEN / Eco-Living, Gotta Love It!
SESSION 6 / October 16th HOME & GARDEN / Find Joy and Heal the Planet!
(Permaculture Designer & Teacher Larry Santoyo will be a presenter and on the
panel for this evening)
***
The Sustainability Project www.sustainabilityproject.org/
<<<

Sustainable World Radio, KCSB 91.9fm, Fridays 9-10am PST, streaming live at
www.kcsb.org
Programs include many interviews with permaculture speakers.

<<<

To join the South Coast Permaculture Listserve (Arashi) to post or receive
announcements about events in our area, please go to:
Scpg mailing list
Scpg at arashi.com

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous