[Lapg] Evacuation and staying after the fires (was: Why some averted disaster)

ROBERT HARTMAN rhartman2003 at msn.com
Wed Oct 24 21:45:37 PDT 2007

Hi Jessica,

I realize that this is a tough time. Because of that, I'd like to offer the
option of waiting, if you can, on your decision about whether or not to
return.

When people live in a fire ecology, periodic "wildfires" are part of the
experience. If conventional builders haven't recognized how to build safely
in those ecologies, that doesn't mean it can't be done. With defensible
space, proper landscaping, and fire-resistant building materials, there is
no need to fear another loss of shelter or possesions.

Of course, if people rebuild in the same old way then those who do can
expect to get burned out again in about 21 years.

There must be a permaculture-based design and building approach for a fire
ecology, and if you have land in one, it could be an outstanding opportunity
to demonstrate how it can be done well. This situation might turn out to be
a blessing in disguise for you, if you can rebuild in a way that better fits
your dreams and the realities of periodic fires.

Either way, my heart is with you. I'm sorry for the losses you've suffered
and hope that they all turn out to be minor!

Best of luck with everything!

Robert

rhartman2003 at msn.com
---
The Holy Trinity:
Thesis--Father--Vishnu: The urge to preserve all that is precious
Antithesis--Son--Shiva: The urge to correct all that is wrong
Synthesis--Holy Spirit--Brahma: The urge to create a viable alternative that
does both