[Lapg] [starhawk] From Starhawk--A vision and an appeal

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Dec 9 18:11:13 PST 2007

Dear friends,

Many years ago, I wrote a book called The Fifth
Sacred Thing, that envisioned a transformed,
diverse and green San Francisco in a world
divided by war and ecological collapse.  I go
back to that story a lot, these days, as both the
worst and some of the best aspects of it seem to be coming true.

That San Francisco of the future is a place where
streams flow freely through garden streets lined
with fruit trees, where celebrations and rituals
honor a multiplicity of cultures, where humans
have learned to heal and live in harmony with nature.

Now, I spend a lot of my time not just writing
about that vision, but trying to make it a
reality by teaching the skills of ecological
design.  In 2002, together with Penny
Livingston-Stark, I began teaching Earth Activist
Trainings, because I saw so many enthusiastic,
deeply committed people on fire with the desire
to change the world, but often without a clear sense of what the solutions are.

Over the last six years, Earth Activist Trainings
have loosed hundreds of fired-up permie
potentizers onto the world, seeding communities
across the globe with the skills and knowledge of
regenerative design.  Here’s just a few of the things they’ve done:

Disaster Relief and Bioremediation:

In New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, EAT
alumni became core organizers of the grassroots
Common Ground Relief efforts, ran the trauma
support and counseling program at the clinic, and
started a bioremediaiton project to clean toxins
from soil using microorganisms, plants and fungi.

Sustainable Development in the Third World:

Rainwater catchment in Bolivia, a model
permaculture farm in Brazil, community
development and tsunami relief in south Indian
fishing villages, sustainability programs in the
rural Phillipines, women’s programs in a
permaculture institute in the West Bank of Palestine.

Urban Permaculture;

Rejuvenating a community garden in the Bayview,
the poorest area of San Francisco; living and
working in the L.A. Ecohouse, growing food in the
projects of Miami, transforming intersections
into gathering places in Portland; model backyard
gardens and community power-down programs in Iowa
City; youth programs in poverty stricken downtown Detroit.

And much, much more than we can fit on this
page.  You know as well as I do that the world is
at a crucial turning point right now. Finally,
the general public gets it that climate change is
happening and the waters are rising around us.
But we still haven’t begun to make changes on the
scale and with the speed that’s needed. The media
is full of green news and the stores are full of
green products, but we can’t buy our way out of
looming ecological collapse.  No one technology or technique can save us.

That’s where we come in.  There’s a pressing need
to train people in the art of designing flows,
links and connections, creating systems that meet
human needs while healing and regenerating the
environment around us.  And that’s just what we do.

Please help us continue this work.  We have three
residential courses planned for 2008, an Urban
Permaculture course over a series of six
weekends, a new Youth Course, and a Sustainable
Skills Tour with our newly built EAT bus.

To do all this, we need your help.  EAT has had
generous funding which has allowed us, in turn,
to be generous with financial aid. For each of
our courses we’ve provided ten to twenty thousand
dollars of work trade and scholarships, which in
turn makes it possible for activists and
low-income students to attend.  But that funding
is now at the end of its cycle, and we need help
from new sources to continue being able to say
‘yes’, not ‘no’, to those who want this training.

Many of you are out there, right now, doing your
regenerative activism on a daily basis. (Thanks!)
And you may not have a lot of financial wealth to
share. But, please, think about the value of
Earth Activist Training. And think about how
desperately we need more activists of this
caliber. Then, give whatever you can. The results
of even a small pledge of $10/month will be
exponentially effective in the big picture.
Because every dollar you donate will help train
more passionate, intelligent people to cleanse
the soil, heal the water, share their skills, and
restore the balance – in countless and priceless ways.

Please consider a donation right now of:

$1700  (provides one full scholarship for a two week course.)

$800   (subsidizes one work trader)

$100 - $250 (provides some hands-on supplies for a course)

Just to be clear, we welcome donations of every
size and kind. Large. Small. One-time. Quarterly.
Annual. Sporadic. We gratefully accept it all.
Make a monthly pledge for exponential impact.
Join the EAT Mycelium Fund Monthly Giving Circle.

And now we invite you to choose the way you will
contribute to this most necessary educational endeavor.

Donate online at
http://earthactivisttraining.org/donate.html
<http://earthactivisttraining.org/donate.html>

or send checks to

Earth Activist Training
POB 251
Sierraville CA 96126

Thanks!  Your generosity is a crucial part of the solution.

Starhawk

Earth Actiist Trainings

www.earthactivisttraining.org
www.starhawk.org

P.S.  Don’t worry­I haven’t stopped writing.  In
fact, my holiday gift to you is an expanded,
updated vision of San Francisco of The Fifth
Sacred Thing.  It’s too long to send, but you can
find it at www.starhawk.org/
<http://www.starhawk.org/> .   Look on the left sidebar for “Latest Essay”.

This post has been sent to you from
Starhawk at lists.riseup.net.  This is an
announce-only listserve that allows Starhawk to
post her writings occasionally to those who wish to receive them.

To subscribe to this list, send an email to
Starhawk-subscribe at lists.riseup.net.

Starhawk is a lifelong activist in peace and
global justice movements, a leader in the
feminist and earth-based spirituality movements,
author or coauthor of ten books, including The
Spiral Dance, The Fifth Sacred Thing, Webs of
Power: Notes from the Global Uprising, and her latest, The Earth Path.

Starhawk's website is www.starhawk.org, and more
of her writings and information on her schedule
and activities can be found there.