[Lapg] Fwd: [COMFOOD:] FW: An Economics of Peace

Diana Liu diana1127 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 1 22:45:24 PST 2008

Thanks Hank for sharing this website.  It has been a great resource for me.  Even though Schumacher was not a Buddhist, a lot of his work has been influenced by that.  In his book "Small is Beautiful, Economics As if People Mattered", he also discussed this concept along with the "intermediate technology".  Schumacher as well as Lau Tze didn't condemn technology, but he saw problems when we become dependent on it and that it take over our ability to problem solve and our creativity.  To that end, he was not in favor of industrial farming and promoted organic farming.  His book "Small is Beautiful" really had a profound effect on me.  His bottomline for promoting local economy was that ultimately people had to matter.  A refreshing perspective from a society that promote free trade and capitalism that the bottomline is only when money mattered.

  It may just be my bias.  I've always thought that he should have won the Nobel Prize, not Milton Friedman.

Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profoundness.
Kindness in giving creates love.
                                   - Lao Tzu