[Lapg] Green Building Program - City of Los Angeles

Lois Arkin crsp at igc.org
Mon Jan 14 10:11:20 PST 2008

All,

This new City program will be for developments over 50,000 square feet.
  Anyone who might have time for this meeting might go and advocate with
the city for all projects rather than just big ones!

Further, this is a good opportunity to publicly advocate for
neighborhoods "going sustainable," requesting that the city have
policies that define a "sustainable neighborhood," and incentives for
creating and retrofitting them (this is actually in the works but it's
always good to push).

Right now, even as I write, the city is narrowing the street and
widening the sidewalks in the L.A. Eco-Village and, of course, we're
thrilled at this plan finally being carried out after 8 years in the
making.  The newly widened sidewalks have permeable pavement (what a
treat it was to watch the rain sink in last week) BUT now we are hearing
that one of our wonderful maturing fruit trees must come out for one of
the street narrowing bulb-outs.  This is ridiculous, but we have to pick
and choose our battles, right?  A neighborhood "going sustainable"
should not have to choose between more convivial streets and food. We
need both, but food first!

I wouldn't want to hold this new 50,000 sq. foot regulation up, but it's
important for them to know that you think the work has barely begun.

Here's the summary of the new regulation below.  Note the hearing info
below from Claire Bowen and that the meeting is at Van Nuys City Hall

Lois Arkin
CRSP Institute for Urban Ecovillages at L.A. Eco-Village
www.laecovillage.org
www.urbansoil.net
213/738-1254

Project Location: 	Citywide

Requested Action:	A proposed ordinance (Appendix A) amending the Los
Angeles Municipal Code to establish a Green Building Program which shall
include a Standard of Sustainability and Standard of Sustainable
Excellence.  This proposed ordinance (Appendix A) also outlines a permit
process for projects at or above 50,000 square feet or 50 units to meet
the obligations of the US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy
and Environmental Design (LEED) compliance at a Certified Level.
Furthermore, the proposed ordinance (Appendix A) establishes a Green
Building Team to administer and coordinate the Program.

Applicant: 		City of Los Angeles

STAFF RECOMMENDS APPROVAL OF THE PROPOSED ORDINANCE (APPENDIX A).
Jane Blumenfeld, (213) 978-1372; Claire Bowin, AICP, Project Manager,
(213) 473-9987.

Many of you have inquired as to the location and time of the public
hearing for the proposed Green Building Program that was rescheduled to
November 15th.

The meeting will take place at the Van Nuys City Hall, 14410 Sylvan
Street, Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, Van Nuys, 91401. The item is no. 5
on the agenda and the hearing begins at 8:30am.

Van Nuys City Hall is conveniently located within short walking distance
of the Orange Busway stop at Van Nuys Blvd. There is typically parking
available nearby as well.

The GB Recommendation Report is posted on the planning department's
website at: http://planning.lacity.org

Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.
Please note that I will be out on Monday as City Hall is closed in honor
of Veterans Day.

Thank you and I look forward to seeing you on the 15th.

Claire Bowin, AICP
Department of Planning
200 N. Spring Street, Room 721
Los Angeles, CA 90012