[Lapg] January 2008 Newsletter

Quail Springs info at quailsprings.org
Wed Jan 23 12:20:20 PST 2008

Quail Springs' January 2008 Newsletter

EVENTS and COURSES

"Hands and Hearts" Skill Builder Series
This series of workshops focus on various hands-on skills, taught by the Quail Springs teaching
team and special guest teachers, all with the intention of using our hands and hearts to
regenerate healthy community life, meet our human needs, and honor the natural world.

Spinning and Felting
with Andrea Bratt Frick, professional fiber artist
March 6 - 7, Thursday and Friday

Building a Cob Oven and Baking Bread
with Quail Springs' teaching team
May 24-25, Saturday and Sunday

Moccasins and Leather Work
with Warren Brush, co-founder of Quail Springs
October 4-5, Saturday and Sunday

$100 for each 2 day Skill Builder workshop, includes camping.
Register for the entire "Hands and Hearts" series for 2008 for $275 !
Optional materials fee may apply for each workshop.  Meals will be organized potluck.
Contact info at quailsprings.org for more information or to register.

Spring Gardening Service Learning Weekend
April 26-27, Saturday and Sunday - FREE

Join Quail Springs as we plant and prepare our gardens this spring!  This is also a time for
interested people to receive a tour of the site and learn about site design, and enjoy the
company of community.  This event is free of cost, with community potluck meals and camping
nearby.  All ages are welcome and no experience is needed.  RSVP to info at quailsprings.org to
receive current gate combos, potluck ideas, and tools/materials to bring.

Permaculture Design Certification course with Geoff Lawton
August 16-27, 2008

We're happy to host our third Permaculture Design Certification course at Quail Springs, and
welcome back one of the world's top permaculture teachers, Geoff Lawton.  For more about Geoff
Lawton, visit http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=186415882&u=1874275 .

Tuition with early registration discounts for deposits sent by respective dates:  $1,200 (May 16).
$1350 (July 1).   $1450 (after July 1).  Deposit is $400.  Limited case-by-case work trade and
payment plans, please inquire early.

Complete registration information for the course will be available in February.
Contact info at quailsprings.org  now to join the interest list.

Permaculture is a holistic approach to land use design, based on ecological principles and
patterns. It aims to create stable, productive systems that provide for human needs,
harmoniously integrating the land with people.  This world-recognized, 72-hour course provides
an introduction to Permaculture as set forth by movement founders Bill Mollison and David
Holmgren.  This course covers sustainable living systems - with everything from food systems,
water harvesting, waste cycling, home design, to climate care, and much more - for a wide variety
of landscapes and climates.  Graduates of this 72 hour Permaculture Design Certification course
(PDC) will receive a Certificate in Permaculture Design. See http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=186415882&u=1874276  to learn more about
the Certification, and options for continuing study to earn the Diploma.

Southwest Drylands &  Southern California Permaculture Convergence - with
Keynote Speaker, Geoff Lawton
August 29 - September 1, 2008

Co-sponsored by Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, Quail Springs, and others.  More info
coming soon!  Contact info at quailsprings.org to join the interest list.

Advanced Permaculture Workshop - with Geoff Lawton and Brad Lancaster
September 2-3, 2008

This 2 day advanced workshop will offer on the ground opportunity to learn and work with Geoff
and Brad.  For more about Geoff Lawton, visit http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=186415882&u=1874277.   For more about Brad
Lancaster, visit http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=186415882&u=1874278. More info coming soon!
Contact info at quailsprings.org to join the interest list.

EcoNest workshops 2008
The beginning stages of the EcoNest will involve workshops in which builders, home owners, or
other interested folks will work with the EcoNest team in a series of two workshops that give the
participant a solid foundation in understanding this unique system of sustainable building.
Dates and cost are TBA.  If you would like to be on an initial interest contact list, please email
info at quailsprings.org.

INTERNSHIPS

Winter Natural Building Intern Position has been filled!  See below if you're interested
in an internship later in the year.

Interested Interns please inquire for 2008...
We're developing a dynamic intern program that will include focused skill building along with
service learning for the coming year.  More information and applications will be available in
February 2008 for internships running from March/April through October/November.  Contact
Kolmi at info at quailsprings.org if you're interested.
Skill building opportunities will include natural building, permaculture design, food systems,
gardening, aquaculture, watershed restoration, animal husbandry, fund development, and
more.  Experience and training is not needed, although this is a great opportunity to further
experience and education in all aspects of farm and permaculture site development.

Available for purchase.  Quail Springs, An Experiment in Permaculture

Quail Springs, An Experiment in Permaculture, by Joss Jaffe, serves as an important research
and development tool supporting permaculture design and the long term vision of Quail
Springs.  If you are interested in purchasing the book, please let us know at
info at quailsprings.org.  The cost of this full color book with CD is $30, or $10 for the CD only,
plus $5 shipping.

Reminder to Quail Springs' friends, family, interns and other guests...

As of January 1, 2008, the gate codes with be changing regularly.  Therefore, you will need to
contact us for the current code even if you have been here many times before.  We are doing this
to help maintain good relationship with the private landowner who we share the road with and
It is critical that each and every vehicle coming to Quail Springs strictly observes the 10 MPH
speed limit on the private road, as well as all traffic laws and normal driving rules.  Thank you
for understanding and helping!

Quail Springs is a project of the True Nature Society, a community supported non-
profit organization.

Please consider giving a financial or in-kind donation to help us continue offering
important services to the community.

To make a donation online, visit http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=186415882&u=1874279
Or send in your contribution to PO Box 417, New Cuyama, CA 93254.   Thank you!

In-kind donation needs list

*	Natural insulation materials
*	Fencing materials
*	Recycled building materials (lumber, doors, tile, windows, etc.)
*	Mulching materials
*	Stone for gabion building
*	Compost
*	Shading materials
*	Self-powered arc welder/generator
*	Motorized bicycle, moped, scooter
*	Bike repair tools and spare parts
*	Flail mower
*	Tractor
*	3-point hitch grater for our tractor
*	3-point hitch backhoe attachment for tractor
*	Bobcat
*	Wood-working tools
*	Shop tools
*	Super efficient washing machine
*	3 compartment stainless steel sink
*	Diesel generator
*	Diesel to vegetable oil conversion for our Ford F250
*	Four wheel drive vehicles
*	Solar hot water panels
*	On-demand hot water heater
*	Farm animals