[Lapg] Re: February 3-23, 2008 California/Oregon/Colorado Book Tour for “Simple Prosperity?Dave Wann

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Jan 26 09:48:46 PST 2008

hi Diana
yes you are so right, it shows for a period of
time  that the Japanese  adjusted to living within their means.

         Japan closed their borders/culture to
from the 16 th century  onward to the outside
world and in the 1860 Admiral Perry of the US
Navy forced his way into the country and demanded
they open up there markets etc . Isolation died
at that moment and the Japanese culture felt
backward and threaten by a modern industrial culture/state.

         Form that moment the Japanese material
culture decided to modernize their culture and
their nation. Lacking to resources to Build a
modern nation , they open their borders and
invited the world to come and help them (trade
etc) . The Japanese crashed anyone in Japan who
opposed these changes. So from that day onward it
took only about 50 years early 1900 to take on
Russia, invade and take over Korea all resource
wars. At this time they also imported metal scrap
from America to supply the needs of steel, when
the US cut off the supply of scrap metal in 1937
over invasion of China in 1937, this probably was
one of the main reasons Japan attack Pearl
Harbour, all wars tend to be resource wars.

It is lesson about isolation and culture that
feel threatened by powerful forces, can we learn
from the Japanese who for awhile lived within their resources and then changed

I am still trying to figure this out myself.
Would an open free trade world that is happen
right now solve this problem, that connects and
exploits culture at the same time/ That is way I
am so interested in permaculture as a way of
approaching theses human dilemmas. There is an
energy happen right now that permaculture is part
of . Just heard Mohammed Yunus talk about his
book Creating a World Without Poverty

Please also email "Dave Wann"
<davewann at comcast.net> and find out his thoughts
and cc me , I would like to hear his answer, we
sometimes blind ourselves with presenting
solutions and no following them through history
to find out what they morph into. , glad you caught this one

wes

Revolutionary economist Muhammad Yunus’s new book
Creating a World Without Poverty outlines his
vision for an original business model that
combines the power of free markets with the quest
for a more humane world – and tells the inspiring
stories of companies that are doing this work
today. Yunus is the founder of Grameen Bank, a
pioneer of microcredit – an economic movement
that has helped lift millions of families around
the word out of poverty – and the author of
Banker to the Poor: Micro-lending and the Battle Against