[Lapg] Thursday, February 7, 2008 at 6PM Lawndale CA You are invited to Environmental Charter High Schools Permaculture Dialogues

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Feb 7 07:32:37 PST 2008

You are invited to Environmental Charter High Schools Permaculture Dialogues

Thursday, February 7, 2008 at 6PM at 16315 Grevillea Ave, Lawndale,
CA
90260.  RSVP
<mailto:saralaimon at greenambassadors.org>saralaimon at greenambassadors.org
310 940-1626.  Please invite as many folks as possible.  (This of
course would end just in time for you to Catch Green Drinks on the West Side)

Come here the inspiring story of how local Lawndale Resident,
biologist, and revolutionist, changed his lawn into paradise in the
heart of Los Angeles.  This was an uphill battle for Brad Henderson
and his family fighting the traditional mindset to create something
new.  This property is a model of how we all can change our lives and
the world by changing and connecting to our landscape.  Amazingly,
this model is located adjacent to Environmental Charter High School's
new school site where we will be creating our own paradise through
the  Permaculture design principles.

Bio and Background!
Brad Henderson is an Environmental Scientist with the California
Department of Fish and Game, working in the Eastern Sierra Nevada and
Death Valley areas of California.  While living in the Los Angeles
area from 1998-2006, Brad and his wife Amy transformed their largely
barren urban yard in Lawndale into native habitats and sustainable
food production.    Wildlife, including toads, butterflies, and
endangered birds began to return to Lawndale, attracted by the
Henderson's' locally appropriate native habitat.  After winning
several battles with the City of Lawndale, who did not appreciate the
appearance of native plants, the Henderson's' garden went on to be
featured in dozens of news articles, and ultimately was featured in
an episode of "California's Green" on PBS.  Brad and Amy now live in
the small town of Independence in the Owens Valley of California,
where native plants reign supreme.

See:
<http://www.politeo.net/lawndale/most_wanted.html>http://www.politeo.net/lawndale/most_wanted.html

which shows the school in the background and:

<http://www.politeo.net/habitat/index.html>http://www.politeo.net/habitat/index.html
  click on the "here" below the picture of the pond.