[Lapg] FIC Art of Community Southwest Conference, at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, May 30-June 1.

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Feb 9 20:10:39 PST 2008

Call for Conference Contributions!

The Fellowship for Intentional Community
(www.ic.org) invites you to submit a proposal
for an inspiring activity or workshop you are
willing to lead, teach or perform at our
upcoming Art of Community Southwest Conference,
at the University of New Mexico in
Albuquerque, May 30-June 1.

The theme for this year's conference is:
Cooperative Culture: Synergy at the Edges. We
are interested in offerings that relate to all
varieties of Community Building and
Sustainability. This year we will be playing off
the Permaculture concept of "Edges",
emphasizing the richness that occurs when two
systems meet, blend and cross-fertilize
each other. Cooperative culture is a natural
place for this blending to occur as we
create the new within the context of the larger
culture. We want practical tools,
inspiring stories and energizing
activities--practical synergy!--and we are excited to
co-create this weekend with you.

We will contact you within two weeks of receiving
your application with an acknowledgment
or initial response; applying doesn't guarantee a
place on the program. We are offering
free registration to those who are accepted as
presenters on the program, but will not be
able to cover expenses.

Most of our sessions will be in these two formats:

~ Workshops of 1 ½ or 3 hours in length. We will
prioritize those offerings that are
participatory and interactive over "lecture"
style workshops, and will have a small
number of 3-hour slots available.

~ 1 ½ hour panels of 3-4 people with
complementary experience or expertise on a topic of
relevance.

We will also have a smaller number of sessions of the following:

~ Larger scale interactive sessions (100+ people)
which may include things like singing,
dancing, cooperative games, ceremony and collective art projects

~ Multimedia presentations which again, could
work for a large number of participants

~ Opening and closing ceremony activities (appropriate for up to 300 people)

~ Plenary speakers (with particular emphasis on
people from the Southwest who are
"headliner-types" in the areas of sustainability and/or community-building)

~ Talks by people with unique, personal stories pushing the envelope on
community-building in some way. This may include
things like income sharing, the
interface between an IC and the government,
neighborhood organizing, adoption within
community, etc. We are not looking for analysis
so much as personal voices here.

We may also have a kid's program running
simultaneous with the more adult-oriented
sessions, so we are looking for a few children's
workshops and/or activities. These
proposals should specify what ages you can work
with, and the length of time (minimum 90
minutes) that you would be available for the kids.

To submit a proposal, please send the following
information to: Ma'ikwe Schaub Ludwig,
Conference Coordinator, Art of Community, 3520
Anderson SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106   or
via email: maikwe at solspace.net    For questions, email or call (505) 514-8180.

If you'd like to do more than one session, please
fill out a separate form for each
offering you are proposing. Proposals are due by
March 15th; anything mailed after this
will be handled on a space-left-over basis and
may not be considered, even if it's great.

Name ___________________________  Affiliation (if
any) _____________________________

Email and Phone ______________________________________________________________

Title of offering: _______________________________

Category of offering:

_____1 1/2 hr
Workshop            OR            _____ 3 Hour Workshop
_____ Panel*

_____ Large Interactive
Session            _____            Opening Activity
      _____ Closing Activity

_____            Plenary
Speaker                  _____ Multimedia Presentation
  _____            Personal Story

_____ Children's program. Specify age-range:
_______________________________________

*For panel offering, please list other suggested
participants, and contact information:

Please give a brief description of your offering (we may edit for space):

Do you anticipate needing any special equipment
for your offering? (i.e. internet access,
overhead projector, white screen or wall, etc.)

Do you have a particular deadline by which you
need to know if you'll be on the program
or not?

Finally, we will have several room sizes
available. Please indicate what size you'd
prefer:

_____  20-35 people        _____  40-60 people             _____  75-100 people

To suggest another person for the program, please
share their name, contact info and a
brief description of what they do:

Is it OK to share your name as the person who
recommended them? Yes   _____ No _____

Thanks so much for your willingness to
participate in co-creating this conference!

Ma'ikwe Schaub Ludwig, Conference Coordinator