[Lapg] Green Building Joint Meeting 2-15-08 Friday at 8 am, City Council Chambers, 200 No. Spring (enter on Main)

Lois Arkin crsp at igc.org
Wed Feb 13 09:25:10 PST 2008

Dear Everybody in our grassroots sustainability movements (please pass
far and wide),

This proposed ordinance for mandating green building in our city is a
good start.  We need to take it much further!  That will happen because
people like you show up at meetings like this!  And send a strong
message to the City to scale this up to what is needed asap!

This ordinance will mandate that all buildings of 50 units or 50,000
square feet must be built or retrofitted to the intent of LEED basic
certification (although they need not actually be LEED certified).  The
ordinance also establishes a voluntary "standard for sustainable
excellence" which provides a variety of incentives to developers who
meet LEED certification at the Silver level.

Please attend and speak in favor of passing this ordinance while
urging/requesting/demanding that the appropriate city departments
develop additional legislation that scales up greenbuilding and
retrofitting in our city.

For a copy of the motion and supporting documentation, please see:
http://cityclerk.lacity.org/CFI/DisplayOnlineDocument.cfm?SRT=D1&cfnum=07-0705

Sorry, I'll be out of town for this.  See you all soon.

Best,
Lois Arkin
213/738-1254
www.laecovillage.org