[Lapg] Biofuels: the fake climate change solution - a petition worth signing

Lois Arkin crsp at igc.org
Thu Mar 13 14:12:08 PDT 2008

       	/Please note: you're receiving this email because you signed a
petition with MoveOn.org using the email address crsp at igc.org. MoveOn
has merged its global effort with groups around the world in a new
campaign called " Avaaz.org" -- Avaaz means "voice" in many languages.
You can read about Avaaz here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/report_back_1. If
you don't want to be part of this new global community, click here to
unsubscribe from all future emails:
https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=61544648&email=crsp@igc.org&b=363&v=1375&lang=en./

Dear friends,

EU and US demand for biofuels is pushing up world food prices and
/increasing/ climate emissions. *We should feed people, not cars*--so
join the call for global standards to clean up the biofuels industry:
* Click here now*
<http://www.avaaz.org/en/biofuel_standards_now/11.php?cl=61544648>

Each day, *820 million people in the developing world do not have enough
food to eat*^1 . Food prices around the world are shooting up, sparking
food riots from Mexico^2 to Morocco^3 . And the World Food Program
warned last week that rapidly rising costs are endangering emergency
food supplies for the world's worst-off^4 .

*How are the wealthiest countries responding? They're burning food.*

Specifically, they're using more and more biofuels--alcohol made from
plant products, used in place of petrol to fuel cars. Biofuels are
billed as a way to slow down climate change. But in reality, because so
much land is being cleared to grow them, *most biofuels today are
causing more global warming emissions than they prevent*^5 , even as
they push the price of corn, wheat, and other foods out of reach for
millions of people^6 .

Not all biofuels are bad--but without tough global standards, the
biofuels boom will further undermine food security and worsen global
warming. Click here to use our simple tool to send a message to your
head of state before this weekend's global summit on climate change in
Chiba, Japan, and *help build a global call for biofuels regulation*:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/biofuel_standards_now/11.php?cl=61544648

Sometimes the trade-off is stark: *filling the tank of an SUV with
ethanol requires enough corn to feed a person for a year*^7 . But not
all biofuels are bad; making ethanol from Brazilian sugar cane is vastly
more efficient than US-grown corn, for example, and green technology for
making fuel from waste is improving rapidly.

The problem is that the EU and the US have set targets for increasing
the use of biofuels without sorting the good from the bad. As a result,
rainforests are being cleared in Indonesia to grow palm oil for European
biodiesel refineries, and global grain reserves are running dangerously
low. Meanwhile, rich-country politicians can look "green" without asking
their citizens to conserve energy, and agribusiness giants are cashing
in. And if nothing changes, the situation will only get worse.

*What's needed are strong global standards* that encourage better
biofuels and shut down the trade in bad ones. Such standards are under
development by a number of coalitions^8 , but they will only become
mandatory if there's a big enough public outcry. It's time to move: this
Friday through Saturday, the twenty countries with the biggest
economies, responsible for more than 75% of the world's carbon
emissions^9 , will meet in Chiba, Japan to begin the G8's climate change
discussions. Before the summit, let's raise a global cry for change on
biofuels:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/biofuel_standards_now/11.php?cl=61544648

A call for change before this week's summit won't end the food crisis,
or stop global warming. But it's a critical first step. By confronting
false solutions and demanding real ones, we can show our leaders that we
want to do the right thing, not the easy thing.

As Kate, an Avaaz member in Colorado, wrote about biofuels, *"Turning
food into oil when people are already starving? My car isn't more
important than someone's hungry child."*

It's time to put the life of our fellow people, and our planet, above
the politics and profits that too often drive international
decision-making. This will be a long fight. But it's one that we join
eagerly--because the stakes are too high to do anything else.

With hope,

Ben, Ricken, Iain, Galit, Paul, Graziela, Pascal, Esra'a, Milena -- the
Avaaz.org team

*SOURCES:*

[1] World Food Programme. "Hunger Facts." Accessed 10 March 2008.
http://www.wfp.org/aboutwfp/facts/hunger_facts.asp

[2] The Sunday Herald (Scotland). "2008: The year of global food
crisis." 9 March 2008.
http://www.sundayherald.com/news/heraldnews/display.var.2104849.0.2008_the_year_of_global_food_crisis.php

[3] The Australian: "Biofuels threaten 'billions of lives'" 28 February,
2008.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23336840-11949,00.html

[4] AFP: "WFP chief warns EU about biofuels." 7 March 2008.
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hpCFf3spGcDQUuILK5JFV-6NL1Dg

[5] New York Times: "Biofuels Deemed a Greenhouse Threat." 8 February
2008. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/08/science/earth/08wbiofuels.html

[6] The Times: "Rush for biofuels threatens starvation on a global
scale." 7 March 2008.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article3500954.ece ...
also see BBC: "In graphics: World warned on food price spiral." 10 March
2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7284196.stm

[7] The Economist: "The end of cheap food." 6 December 2007.
http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10252015

[8] See http://www.globalbioenergy.org,
http://cgse.epfl.ch/page70341.html, and
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article3489640.ece.

[9] Government of Japan. "Percentage of global carbon dioxide emissions
(FY 2003) contributed by G20 nations."
http://www.env.go.jp/earth/g8/en/g20/index_popup.html

----------------------------------

You are getting this message because you signed "" on 2007-10-15 using
the email address crsp at igc.org.
To ensure that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add
avaaz at avaaz.org to your address book. To change your email address,
language settings, or other personal information,
https://secure.avaaz.org/act/index.php?r=profile&user=f29e8673a4ff05b86739445a814f40b1〈=en.
, or simply *go here to unsubscribe
<https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=61544648&email=crsp@igc.org&b=363&v=1375&lang=en>*.

To contact Avaaz, please *do not reply to this email.* Instead, write to
info at avaaz.org. You can also send postal mail to our New York office:
260 Fifth Avenue, 9th floor, New York, NY 10001 U.S.A.

If you have technical problems, please go to http://www.avaaz.org
<http://www.avaaz.org/>.