[Lapg] The 'Reuse People' Offer Affordable Building Materials & Eco-Conscious Recycling to LA Area

Lois Arkin crsp at igc.org
Thu Mar 20 17:28:41 PDT 2008

From:  Treanne Gomes <treanne at agkmediagroup.com>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

*_THE 'REUSE PEOPLE' BRING AFFORDABLE BUILDING MATERIALS & ECO-CONSCIOUS
MATERIALS RECYCLING
TO LOS ANGELES AREA

HOME-OWNERS DONATE DECONSTRUCTED HOUSING MATERIALS AND RECEIVE TAX
DEDUCTIBLE DONATION

NOW OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
_**_ _*

*WHO: *Based in Northern California, and founded in1993,* *The ReUse
People is a 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to keeping useable building
materials out of landfills and providing them for re-use in new building
projects.  We sell our building materials at a fraction of the cost of
new materials. .  On average our pricing is less than ½ as much as
comparable materials at large retail outlets

The ReUse People has been recently highlighted by UCLA as a teaching
example.  The enormous success of the Northern California retail
facility has resulted in over 260,000 thousand tones of building
materials being diverted from landfill.  The ReUse People has facilities
in Denver/Boulder, Chicago and throughout California and is expanding to
major metropolitan areas throughout the US.

*WHY:*  To bring a second life to materials that may be used 'as is'
rather than reconstituted (or recycled).  To reduce our environmental
impact in the construction industry

*WHO BENEFITS:
*

    * All of us through a better environment
    * Low income families who cannot afford to buy new
    * Low skilled workers who are taught marketable skills in
      deconstruction
    * Building owners by virtue of tax donations
    * Builders and contractors through better service to their clients
    * Other beneficiaries and direct recipients of our materials
      include:  Projecto Salesiano Tijuana, Jardine de los Ninos, Chula
      Vista Pony League, Habitat for Humanity (San Diego, Orange County,
      Los Angeles County, Oakland), Volunteers of America and Goodwill
      Industries.

*WHAT:
*

    * All building materials.  Shipments arrive on a regular basis.
       Most items are priced between $25-$200.  As a general rule
      everything is priced at least 50% less than large retail outlets.
    * Difficult to find upscale, vintage, quality retro and craftsman items
    * Wood / Windows / Interior and Exterior doors with jams / Bricks /
      Kitchen counters / Cabinets / Appliances / Shelves / Home
      furnishings / Fixtures etc.

*
WHERE:*  11017 Sutter Ave. Pacoima, CA 91331 T: 818-897-2798   F:
818-897-2807

*HOURS:* Tue - Fri 10am to 5pm & Sat, 10am to 4pm.

*OPENHOUSE:*  Saturday May 9th 10am-5pm.  Tours of the facilities will
take place at 11am and 2pm.

*For Additional Information:* The public may call the ReUse People at
818-897-2798.  Media Inquires please call Julie Du Brow at 310-821-2463
or Agnes Gomes-Koizumi at 323-937.5488