[Lapg] Friday, Mar 14, Sustainable World Radio with Starhawk KCSB 91.9FM PST, 9-10am streaming live

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Mar 26 08:29:57 PDT 2008

Sustainable World Radio: Friday mornings at
9:00-10:00 am PST on KCSB 91.9 FM in Santa
Barbara, California and streaming live on
www.kcsb.org. Also found
on  www.sustainableworldradio.com, or www.radio4all.net later in the week.

         Join Jill Cloutier of Sustainable World
Radio Fri. Mar 28, 9am , Interview Starhawk
(www.starhawk.org ), Earth Activist and
Permaculture Teacher goes to Marda Permaculture
Farm in the Heart of the West Bank to teach a
Permaculture Course. Starhawk of Jewish descent ,
with a deep commitment to healing both the People
and Land found herself DEPORTED FROM ISRAEL ON MARCH 12. Hear Starhawk Words

Starhawk Bio
Permaculture Teacher  (Earth Activist Training
www.EarthActivistTraining.org ), global justice
activist and organizer  in challenging World
Trade Organizations in Seattle (1999), Quebec
Cancun) , helping in New Orleans after Katrina ,
one of the most respected voices in modern
earth-based spirituality and Goddess religion and
author of 10 books on earth-based spirituality
including Web of Power :Notes from the Global
Uprising and Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature (2004)

READ MORE BELOW

STARHAWK words on her Deportation from Israel (
Quotes from Denied Entry  March /08 www.starhawk.org)

I have been denied entry March 13 ,2008 , even
though my intentions this time were strictly to work
with permaculture and ecology groups, including
the three Israeli groups that have sent me formal
invitations, and even though Israel claims to be
a refuge of last resort for everyone born Jewish, as I am.  The fact that
I’m here, not there, is a measure of how much the
Israeli authorities fear a movement of nonviolent
( International Solidarity Movement www.palsolidarity.org )

  "The Israel/Palestine conflict enacts on a mass
scale some of the same dynamics as family
abuse.  Israel is like the abused child who grows
up to be an abuser. Abusers generally feel like
victims­and truly the Jewish people have been
victimized, again and again in history,
culminating in the still unhealed  wounds of the
Holocaust.  Every rocket attack, every shooting
spree in a Yeshivah, every suicide bomb in a bus
reinforces that sense of fear and persecution
that seems to cry out for violence in return."

WORDS FROM  Tami Brunk International Coordinator
Marda Permaculture Farm, West Bank  on
Permaculture Course Mar 28 - April 4
www.bustan.org/2007/02/permaculture_farm_in_the_occup.html

This past week has been deeply challenging for
the Marda Permaculture Farm--a young project in
the heart of the West Bank with a dream to
promote self-sufficiency, dignity, and on-the-ground solutions
for the people of Palestine. The people in rural
Palestine face massive unemployment, alarming rises in
cost of fuel and food, and dwindling water and
land which are diverted for Israeli settlements.

A team of dedicated volunteers from Palestine,
Israel, the U.S. and the UK has spent the last
several monthsjoyfully planning the Farm's first
intensive Permaculture Fundamentals workshop
which would have brought as many as 50 farmers,
NGO professionals, scientists and agricultural
engineers from across Palestine as well as
international permaculture students from New
York, Oregon, Jordan and multiple other countries to attend.

MORE QUOTES STARHAWK
The renowned peace activist and permaculturist
Starhawk commented of the rural Palestinian villages that she visited in 2002:

"Now, looking at the land from the perspective of
permaculture and ecological design, I find myself
impressed by the elegance of Palestinian
agriculture, so integrally suited to the land and
climate, frugal in its use of water, making use
of the plants native to or adapted to this
region, somehow preserving enough fertility in
this stony soil after ten millennia of
cultivation to produce figs and grapes and oil
and bread. The "scientific" agriculture practiced
in some of the settlements, with profligate use
of water, energy, and chemicals, seems to me
another form of assault on the land. And the
Israeli side of the border was green, I now know,
because they'd taken all the water, as the Sharon
government is now confiscating the
aquifers."  www.olivecoop.com/info/permaculture.html

Towards an Activists Spirituality by Starhawk 2003

"No sane person with a life really wants to be a
political activist. When activism is exciting, it
tends to involve the risk of bodily harm or
incarceration, and when it's safe, it is often
tedious, dry, and boring. Activism tends to put
one into contact with extremely unpleasant
people, whether they are media interviewers, riot
cops, or at times, your fellow activists. Not
only that, it generates enormous feelings of
frustration and rage, makes your throat sore from
shouting, and hurts your feet.

Nonetheless, at this moment in history, we are
called to act as if we truly believe that the
Earth is a living, conscious being that we're
part of, that human beings are interconnected and
precious, and that liberty and justice for all is a desirable thing."

"...To equalize that power means changing an
enormous system. And systems don't change easily.
Systems try to maintain themselves, and seek
equilibrium. To change a system, you need to
shake it up, disrupt the equilibrium. That often requires conflict.

To me, conflict is a deeply spiritual place. It's
the high-energy place where power meets power,
where change and transformation can occur.

Part of my own spirituality is the conscious
practice of placing myself in places of conflict.
As someone in the Pagan Cluster said after the
February 15 antiwar rally in New York, which was
seriously harrassed by the police, "When everyone
else was running away from trouble, we were
running toward it." I run toward it because I
generally believe I can be useful there --
sometimes de-escalating potential violence,
sometimes just holding a clear intention in the
midst of chaos, sometimes just as a witness.

Our magical tools and insights, our awareness of
energies and allies on many planes, can deepen
and inform our activism. And our activism can
deepen our magic, by encouraging us to create
ritual that speaks to the real challenges we face
in the world, offers the healing and renewal we
need to continue working, and a community that
understands that spirit and action are one".
This essay first appeared in the Fall 2003 issue
of Reclaiming Quarterly, <http://www.reclaiming.org>www.reclaiming.org.

Resources
Starhawk's Writings www.starhawk.org
Starhawk's Earth Activist Training www.EarthActivistTraining.org
Healing the earth: the Starhawk interview.
www.thefreelibrary.com/Healing+the+earth:+the+Starhawk+interview.-a0147467087
YouTube - Goddess in the Mud www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xPQkjwft0U
Pagan Video  Interview with Starhawk 2007
http://2witchesblog.wordpress.com/2007/05/22/pagan-video-tuesday-interview-with-starhawk/

Sustainable World Radio: Friday mornings at 9:00
am PST on KCSB 91.9 FM in Santa Barbara,
California and streaming live on www.kcsb.org.
Also found on  www.sustainableworldradio.com, or
www.radio4all.net later in the week.
"au