[Lapg] [Scpg] SoCal Indigenous Living

Warren Brush w at quailsprings.org
Fri Mar 28 07:13:59 PDT 2008

Hello Colin,
hypothesis that: "There's an audience for gathering to practice and
share stone-age/primitive/indigenous skills. We see Quail Springs (a
permaculture farm) offering workshops that fit in this category--and
there seem to be many for whom gathering to practice stone-age skills
and awareness is easier to get excited about than permaculture.
Partly this may be because the stone-age skills are portable while
permaculture design is more meaningful when one has long-term control
over some land.."  Firstly, origin skills are not dead in the "stone
age" yet live on today through many peoples and traditions because
they have developed over thousands of years of people's relationship
with the land.  When you relegate it to the past you demean its spark
of life that still feeds the world.  Most people in times where they
were intact with the land had very definitive caretaking roles with
the wild lands that more often than not crossed over into cultivation
of the forests for better hunting and foraging.  This is where
Permaculture draws much of its foundational root.

Being able to move was generally relegated to the young person needing
to find who they were and where they are by defining those things
outside of themselves to better be able to see the substance of who
they are inside.  When you look at the land, whether a hunter,
planter, or casual observer....you are exerting a form of "control"
over the land especially if you are working from ego rather than from
divination. There was usually part of the tribe that was nomadic
(ranging from one traditional hunting ground to another) and another
that was sedentary cultivators and gatherers.  In either case, there
were long-term relationships with the same lands or as I hear it from
you, "control," that allowed for enhancements to human and non-human
life.  It is well documented that land that is being care-taken by
humans in a stewardship effort can be more vital in diversity,
resilience and stability than lands without human intervention.  This
leads me to believe that humans have a purpose here on earth and it is
wrapped into our ability as stewards of the lands through long term
relationships.

I hope you are well and wrapped in the learning journey of life.

Blessings,
Warren

Warren Brush
Co-Founder
Quail Springs Learning Oasis
Trees for Children
Mentoring for Peace

P.O. Box 417
New Cuyama, CA  93254
805.886.7239 - Quail Springs
805.715.0607 - Trees for Children
Fax 866.321.1102

www.quailsprings.org
www.treesforchildren.org
www.mentoring4peace.com

"May culture spring to life as we learn together how to know all that
sustains us and to honor those things deeply"