[Lapg] LA Backyard garden pc question about plant suitability

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 11:26:55 PDT 2008

What part of LA, Brock?  There are a dozen microclimates at least in the LA area.  If the area has marine influence, the plants are different than if it doesn't.

I have a food forest in Sunland and can tell you what is thriving there, or you could come and see it at our Sunday gatherings.  I've worked with a food forest in Crenshaw (which has the marine influence) and can tell you what thrives there.  He has a lot of tropicals and semi-tropicals there which can be quite suitable for many areas of LA.  Banana, tomato tree, mango, papaya, ice cream bean, jak fruit, brazilian jungle flowers, etc, etc.  He also has cherry, nectarine and other more cold loving fruits growing right next to the tropicals.   Guava does well in Sunland which has more extreme temperatures (110 or above sometimes in summer, freezes and snows a couple of times in the winter, also heavy winds). Banana gets chewed up but I know of someone who has had fruiting bananas even in that climate.  We lost our mango in the freeze, but have sugar cane, and lots of stone fruit of all kinds, a tomato tree (which hasn't borne yet, just a year old), some semitropical flowers
 that bloom, passion fruit, etc.

As for rainwater, I doubt the LA city water is any better, probably worse. And the plants are exposed to pollution whether it rains or not. Really rich, microbe laden soils help counteract the effects. You could always filter the captured rainwater through a wetland or soil system that has lots of microbes in it or just a regular filter of some sort.

Best, Cory