[Lapg] Upcoming Programs with Art Ludwig in Santa Barbara May 3, Portland May28 or 29 and Pt Reyes July 6, 7 2008

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Apr 18 20:56:10 PDT 2008

Upcoming Programs with Art Ludwig in Santa
Barbara May 3, Portland May28 or 29 and Pt Reyes July 6,7
http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/

Sustainable Home and Garden Saturday May 3rd, 2008 9 a.m.-5 p.m

Santa Barbara City College Continuing Education,
Saturday May 3rd, 2008 9 a.m.-5 p.m Adam Green,
moderator. Meet at SBCC, EBS-309 for lecture,
carpool to sites. Site visits limited to first 25
people to sign up. Bring lunch.

This workshop led by ecological designer Art
Ludwig will include the following topics:
integrated design for water supply, water reuse,
runoff management, energy efficiency, food
production, materials management, and economic
sustainability of home and garden.

We will connect the large-scale environmental
challenges we face with the design of our homes
and landscaping. Through discussion and an
on-site design clinic at local homes, we will
illustrate relevant, practical ways to make our
living spaces part of the solution. There will be
an emphasis on the importance of water and how we
can use this limited resource responsibly.
Appropriate for both general interest and those
looking for an introduction to this new and
growing career field. Santa Barbara City College
Continuing Education. http://ce.sbcc.edu/environment.htm

If you'd like your site to be considered for use
as an example site for us to visit, please go to
www.oasisdesign.net/about/contact/feedback.htm

Helpful Preparation

The more of the background info below you
understand (or have been exposed to) before
coming, the more you'll get out of the day.

This stuff is worth reading all the way through:
Can a 4000 ft2 Home be Green?
Greywater site assessment/ system checklist (PDF)
http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/
Eco Home Checklist (doc) http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/
Principles of Ecological Design (article):
Integrating Technology, Economics and Nature
http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/

This stuff will add more depth if you can scan or
read any of it: http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/
Water Storage (book)
The New Create an Oasis with Grey Water (book)
Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (book)
Fruit tree chart
Stub outs
What does driving cost?
Eco village house

Ecological Water Management (Lecture) May 28 and 30
Village Building Convergence 2008, Portland, OR, May 28 and 30

Presentation on systems for water and wastewater management, water wisdom.

"The Village Building Convergence is part of The
City Repair Project Placemaking Program,
fulfilling City Repair’s mission to educate and
inspire communities and individuals to creatively
transform the places where they live. City
Repair’s work is focused on developing strong
local relationships, social capital and equity,
placemaking, ecological design, supporting our
local economy, and developing our city and
bioregion as a network of interconnected Village
Centers." —VBC web site http://www.cityrepair.org/wiki.php/projects/vbc8

Water System Design and Natural Building Point Reyes, CA July 6-9
Art Ludwig, Penny Livingston, Brock
Dolman...Regenerative Design Institute, Point
Reyes, CA July 6-9 (water systems) 10-12 (natural building)

Water Systems: Principles of ecological design,
Understanding water (nature awareness guided
experience +outdoor and indoor lecture), water
testing and site mapping, Regenerative Design
Institute water system site assessment, design (hands on project).

Natural building: structures for natural
builders, materials testing, fire safety, systems
design and more...see:Regenerative Design
Institute for more info and registration. http://regenerativedesign.org/

Water quality testing (download) http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/
Water Storage (book)http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/
The New Create an Oasis with Grey Water (book)
http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/

This stuff will add more depth if you can scan or
read any of it: http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/
Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (book)
Stub outs
Eco village house
Common grey water mistakes
Wild Water Wisdom (article) http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/
Stub outs & collection plumbing checklist (PDF)
http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/