[Lapg] Permaculture gets popular in L.A.

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed May 14 06:21:32 PDT 2008

Permaculture gets popular in L.A.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/emeraldcity/

Permaculture classes have been going on for years, but many of these
are intensive, multi-week courses for the already-converted. This
month, L.A. county's getting some beginner-level events for the
permaculture-curious.

When I think permaculture -- roughly defined as sustainable design
principles that seeks to create human habitats that mimic natural
systems -- the first thing that comes to mind is organic and
biodynamic, get your hands dirty, old fashioned farming. But since
permaculture's not only a portmanteau for permanent and agriculture
but also for permanent and culture, its principles -- proponents say
-- can be adapted to urban areas and systems too.

Even if you're not ready to dive in with both Birkenstocked feet, you
can try dipping your toe into the permaculture pool.

A good beginner's event happens this Friday: "A Taste of
Permaculture: Principles, Ethics and Zones," led by Tyrone Fay of
Earthcare Design Solutions, a pro-permaculture organization. Stop by
to get an overview of permaculture this Friday, May 16, 7 pm, at the
L.A. Eco-Village, 117 Bimini Place, Los Angeles. The cost of the
workshop's $100 (sliding scale) and reservations are required;
contact (213) 738-1254 or crsp at igc.org.

Those who want to do some hands-on permaculture work can sign up for
an all-day series of rotating workshops on Saturday, titled
"Hands-on: Soils & Gardening, orcharding, seedball" That happens
Saturday, May 17 from 8:30 am - 5 pm, also at the L.A. Eco-Village.
The workshop costs $100, and pre-registration's required.

For those on the west side, put the "Santa Monica Community
Permaculture Gathering" in your calendar. Intended as the first of a
series of monthly meetings, this gathering's hoped "to begin to build
a community of local citizens interested in bringing about real
sustainable change in the neighborhoods that we live in," according
to Sean Jennings, the organizer.

"My hope is that this meeting will be permaculture in action," says
Jennings. "That means we will be meeting our neighbors, discussing
problems and possible solutions, and identifying action that we can
take as a community and actually make it happen."

The gathering happens on May 20 at 7 pm at the Santa Monica Main
Library, Community Meeting Room, 601 Santa Monica Blvd., Santa
Monica. For more info, email Jennings at swjennings at gmail.com.