[Lapg] Upcoming Events at LAEV: 5/31 Garden Workshop; 6/3 LETS workshop; 6/14 Water Harvesting and more

Lois Arkin crsp at igc.org
Fri May 23 23:25:20 PDT 2008

Please see our website for details on these events and other news and
views from L.A. Eco-Village:  www.laecovillage.org

D I R E C T I O N S     TO    L.A. ECO-VILLAGE:
http://www.laecovillage.org/Directions.html

Friday, May 16 at 7:30 pm at L.A. Eco-Village

A TASTE OF PERMACULTURE: PRINCIPLES, ETHICS AND ZONES
with Tyrone LaFay
Details at: http://www.laecovillage.org/UseUpcoming%20events.html

$10/person (sliding scale ok)
Reservations required: crsp at igc.org or 213/738-1254

Friday, May 16 from 8:30 am - 4:30 PM at UCLA

THE NUTS & BOLTS OF LIMITED EQUITY HOUSING COOPERATIVES
with six housing co-op experts

Details at: http://www.cccd.coop/cccd_info_page/index.html
Limited  scholarships available

$105/person.  Discounts for more.  Registration required.

Saturday, May 17 from 8:30 am - 5 pm at L.A. Eco-Village

A TASTE OF PERMACULTURE: HANDS-ON: SOILS & GARDENING, ORCHARDING, SEEDBALL
MAKING - a day of rotating workshops

with Brad Mowers, George Patton and Yuki Kidokoro

Details:  http://www.laecovillage.org/UseUpcoming%20events.html

$100 Pre-registration required.  crsp at igc.org or 213/738-1254

Saturday, May 31 from 10 am - 5 pm at L.A. Eco-Village

GARDENING WORKSHOP
with Brad Mowers

Details:  http://www.laecovillage.org/UseUpcoming%20events.html

$75 Pre-registration required.  crsp at igc.org or 213/738-1254

Tuesday, June 3 at 6 pm at L.A. Eco-Village

HOW TO JOIN AND USE THE L.A. ECO-VILLAGE LETSYSTEM
or start one in your neighborhood
with Alison Rosenblatt

Details: http://www.laecovillage.org/UseUpcoming%20events.html

$10 (sliding scale ok)  Reservations: 213/738-1254 or crsp at igc.org

Saturday, June 14, 2008 from 9 am - 3 pm at L.A. Eco-Village

WATER CATCHMENT WITH SWALES
with Joe Linton

Details:  http://www.laecovillage.org/UseUpcoming%20events.html

$35 Reservations required: 213/738-1254 or crsp at igc.org

Tuesday, June 10 at 6 pm at L.A. Eco-Village

A CONVERSATION WITH L.A. ECO-VILLAGERS ABOUT WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED.

Pre-requisite:  LAEV Tour
$10/Person.  Minimum of two people per group.
Reservations required:  213/738-1254  crsp at igc.org

E X C I T I N G     R E L A T E D     E V E N T S

May 10 Workshop on Storm water with All Shades of Green and M&A in
Silverlake  http://www.greenmeme.com/Blog/Blog.html

May 22 from 7 to 9  pm at Camino Nuevo High School,
3500  W. Temple, LA 90004

BRESEE FOUNDATION 3RD ANNUAL YOUTH HOME SWEET HOME FILM
FESTIVAL:  STORIES OF URBAN HOUSING IN THE BIG CITY

Details:  http://www.bresee.org/afilmfestival/2008/index.php
FIC ART OF COMMUNITY CONFERENCE SOUTHWEST MAY 30-JUNE 1
Cooperative Culture:  Synergy at the Edges
in Albuquerque         http://fic.ic.org/aofc
UPDATE ON L.A. ECO-VILLAGE STRUGGLES WITH L.A. UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT

On April 22, 2008, the LAUSD Board voted to build a new elementary
school for 800 kids on the east end of the Virgil middle School playing
field, also known as Site #11.

We are grateful to all of you who wrote and showed up for this struggle.
We are saddened that LAUSD is proceeding with what may be an
unnecessary school.  We are saddened that the Virgil Middle School
community will be disrupted by this construction.

We are pleased that a contaminated site north of Virgil Middle School
will be remediated by the District, and that a dead industrial zone will
be enlivened by the expansion of the Virgil Middle School playing field
into that area.

We are very pleased that no housing will be taken for this expansion.
We are saddened that the District plans to use the former White House
Place Primary Center in LAEV as a parking lot for 137 cars. We are
proposing an alternative for such a parking lot.  See the concept
proposal here: http://www.laecovillage.org/conceptproposallausdcra.html

Again, thank you all for your support in this struggle.

View other news from LA Eco-Village at
http://www.laecovillage.org/Newbites.html

TOURS OF LOS ANGELES ECO-VILLAGE:
Sunday, May 11 from 10:30am - 1pm