[Lapg] Sequoyah School Anniversay Luncheon in Pasadena, Sept. 26th, 2008

Diana Liu diana1127 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 5 19:39:09 PDT 2008

for your info.  Please contact Jill if you are interested in participating.

Sequoyah School in Pasadena turns 50 this year.  To kick off our celebration we are hosting an Anniversary luncheon, September 26th, 2008, in which all of the food served  will have been grown within 50 miles of the school.  Sequoyah is a k-8 progressive school, known for it's diverse student body, sustainable practices,  and their child-centered approach to education. The school is  located on the northwest corner of California and Pasadena Avenues.  You can read more at sequoyahschool. org.

 Sequoyah has a tradition of  weekly, student-prepared, hot lunches.  Each friday one class prepares lunch for the rest of the school.  This rotates from kindergarten through 8th grade throughout the year.  The students are growing as much food on campus as possible, but our gardens are small and we need help with small donations of produce, or if you have chickens we would welcome some eggs, from gardeners within a fifty mile radius.   We are expecting to feed approximately 300 plus people.  Everyone who donates is welcome to attend.

 Jill McArthur is the LACMG who volunteers at  Sequoyah.  She is spearheading the luncheon.  Please contact her if you would like to participate.  Jill will contact you periodically throughout the Summer to see what you will have available.  If you would like to plant especially for this luncheon, Jill  still has some seeds available.

 Those donating will be asked to drop off produce early in the week of September 22nd.  Each class will be working with volunteer chefs to help them devise and prepare a dish based on what is available.  We would like to include a picture of you in your garden along with the location of the garden and distance travelled as part of the list of ingredients for each dish.  We are willing to come to you to take the photo.

 If this sounds like fun to you please contact Jill McArthur at freshvine at sbcglobal .net.  We are a part of the Pasadena Learning Gardens network.  Thank you.

Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profoundness.
Kindness in giving creates love.
                                   - Lao Tzu