[Lapg] [Scpg] Chemical nitrogen vs nitrogen fixing plants

Permacltur at aol.com Permacltur at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 08:46:36 PDT 2008

In a message dated 6/9/08 10:54:01 AM, cory8570 at yahoo.com writes:

> I would be interested in hearing people's reaction to this article. His
> premise is that we cannot replace our "Green Revolution" food growing methods
> with purely organic methods because those don't produce enough nitrogen.  He
> omits the concept of polycropping as a potential solution.  I'm especially
> interested in any case studies or documented examples that would refute his
> premise.
>
> http://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~cstevens/ES201/local/Smil%20-%20Global%20Po
> pulation%20and%20the%20Nitrogen%20Cycle.pdf

I can't remember any of the several places I have read this, but it is a
commonplace claim that nitrogen fixing plants contributed far more soil nitrogen
than synthetically fixed nitrogen, worldwide, as a total for all ecosystems.
Of course the effect is dispersed.   Surely we can't replace 'chemical'
nitrogen (a bad term since all forms of nitrogen are chemicals) so long as we keep
using human manure and urine to the systems where their nutrients 'originated.'
  Since sustainable agriculture is an oxymoron aside from nitrogen
considerations, it is a cinch that we won't be able to rid ourselves of the chemical
props.

Looked at from another perspective, if our species requires so much protein
that the planet doesn't naturally produce enough, then there are too damn many
of us and the only remedy that promises a sustainable solution is not more
chemical factories, but vastly more reproductive restraint.

Dan Hemenway

Our 13th Annual Permaculture Design Course Online begins Sept. 14, 2008. The
protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/Protocol4-23-06.pdf Simultaneously, we will begin a
concurrent Permaculture Design Clinic Online, serving people who mainly wish
to design their own homes.

A complete list of Yankee Permaculture publications by category may be
downloaded from:

http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/YPCpublicationsbycategory.pdf

Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best
2008.
      (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)