[Lapg] Quail Springs learning opportunity

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 00:02:54 PDT 2008

For those of you who have never been to Quail Springs, it is quite a treat.  These guys are doing some really nice things towards a more truly sustainable lifestyle.  They have some excellent examples of water utilization and catching water, keyline agriculture (sending water through a field on contours of the hillsides), wilderness remediation, straw bale building, organic gardening, and much more.  You must see their heated showers, using compost heat to heat their water.  Quail Springs has brought the best of the best to teach and create sustainable patterns on the land; it is well worth the trip just to see these examples.

Experiencing the group's respect and care for the land and each other and all fellow human beings and non humans is quite refreshing too.

They are a two hour drive from Los Angeles.  A number of my friends have visited and all of them loved it, without exception.  Swim in their pond, hike in the beautiful canyon, camp under the stars, get your feet muddy in cob, enjoy great community dining and camaraderie, music around the campfire, etc, etc.  And if you go, let me know how you liked it!   For those with kids, be sure to call ahead and ask if it would be appropriate - different projects have different requirements.

Quail Springs Learning Oasis

 www.quailsprings.org

Upcoming Work Parties!

Weekend Mud
Slinging.....

Quail Springs is excited to host our
third annual and sold-out Permaculture Design Course (PDC), and the First
Annual So Cal Permaculture Convergence, this August.  To accommodate the
fifty students and attendees, we are excited to build a simple yet large
teaching area that will be made with a process called "fence cob"
over the next 5 weeks preceding the PDC.  This structure will also
serve as a milling area once we begin to build our EcoNest - Core Mentoring
Center in the coming year.

We need your HELP to build this Classroom and Converging
space!  Come and cob during our three weekend work
parties over the next month.

Weekend #1: July 18,
19, 20

Weekend #2 July 25,
26, 27

Weekend #3 August 1,
2, 3

If
you have never cobbed before, come and learn, if you have some experience cobbing,
come and share your wealth (and mud) with others.  Join us and camp on the
land, bring your families, work clothes, potluck foods, and music instruments.
 Please RSVP to info at quailsprings.org for each
weekend you wish to participate.

We are also looking for old doors, windows, wood for bucks and 6x6x10 gauge
steel wire fencing or something similar for the project.  Please let us
know right away if you have any of these materials to donate as we need them
before the work weekends begin.    Thank you!

"Home for Us to Grow" Campaign

The
Quail Springs "Home for Us to Grow" Capital Campaign is in its preliminary
formation stage, but that we are looking for able and energetic Quail Springs'
friends and supporters who have the time to help with it to contact us.
 We are not yet asking for general contributions for this effort, but we
would like the opportunity in the near future (in the next few months)  to
be able to sit down in person with each and every one of you to further explain
the campaign and how you might be able to help us in that
effort.  Please contact Jan Smith, at jan at quailsprings.org if you are interested.

Living Building Committee

This fall, we will be pioneering regulatory changes to allow for
us to construct buildings that are ecologically equitable, have no toxicity,
and use natural materials.  Some of the people involved in "green
building" movement recognize that there is need for a higher standard of
sustainability and are introducing a new standard to the building industry
called the "living building" designation.  We are looking for
people to work with us on a committee in organizing several big events this
October that will be instrumental in informing professionals, politicians and
the public about the issues of why we need to create living buildings here in
Southern California and beyond. If you are interested, please contact our
director, Warren Brush, at w at quailsprings.org.

Permaculture Design Course and So
Cal Permaculture Convergence

The Permaculture Design Course and So
Cal Permaculture Convergence are full, a positive reflection of
the growing popularity and value for permaculture in our region.  We will
continue to offer one or more Design Courses every year.  The Convergence
will hopefully become an annual event hosted by diverse groups in Southern
California.  Click on the links above to learn more.

Support our Efforts at Quail Springs

with a monthly donation of $5 or more, please.  For every $25 or more in monthly
commitments, we will plant a tree in our next planting-weather-window in
your honor.  We need your generous financial support today!  Donate Here Now!

 Thank You.