[Lapg] NEW Book /Toolbox For Sustainable City Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide by PC authors in Austin TX

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Jul 9 18:25:54 PDT 2008

<http://www.southendpress.org/2007/items/87804>Toolbox
For Sustainable City Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide

http://www.southendpress.org/2007/items/87804

Scott Kellogg and Stacy Pettigrew

The tools you need to create self-sufficient, ecologically sustainable cities

“A surprisingly effective model for connecting
people with dreams to the resources they need.” ­Austin Chronicle

With more than half the world’s population now
residing­and struggling to survive­in cities, we
can no longer afford to think of sustainability
as something that applies only to forests and
fields. We need sustainable living right where so
many of us are: in urban neighborhoods. But how do we do it?

That’s where Toolbox for Sustainable City Living
comes in. In 2000 the dynamic Rhizome Collective
transformed an abandoned warehouse in Austin,
Texas, into a sustainability training center.
Here, with their first book, Scott and Stacy, two
of Rhizome’s founders, provide city
dwellers­those who have never foraged or gardened
along with those who dumpster-dive and belong to
CSAs­with step-by- step instructions for
producing our own food, collecting water,
managing waste, reclaiming land, and generating energy.

With vibrant illustrations created by Juan
Martinez of the Beehive Collective and
descriptive text based on years of
experimentation, Stacy and Scott explain how to
build and grow with cheap, salvaged, and recycled
materials. More than a how-to manual, Toolbox is
packed with accessible and relevant tools to help
move our communities from envisioning a sustainable future toward living it.

Pages: 256
Edition: illustrated
ISBN: 978-0-89608-780-4
Format: paperback original
Release Date: 2008-07-01

[]
  <http://www.southendpress.org/2007/items//cart/add?sku=978-0-89608-780-4>Purchase
for $16.00

When people envision food production or toxic
cleanups, the last setting most likely imagine is
New York City. But with more than half the
world’s population now residing­and struggling to
survive­in cities, we can no longer afford to
think of sustainability as something that applies
only to forests and fields. We need sustainable
living right where so many of us are: in urban
neighborhoods. But how do we do it?

That’s where this guide comes in. Seven years
ago, the Rhizome Collective transformed an
abandoned Austin, Texas, warehouse into a
sustainability training center. Here, with their
first book, two of Rhizome’s founders provide
step-by-step instructions for city dwellers­those
who have never foraged or gardened along with
those who have done dumpster-diving and CSAs­with
directions for producing our own food, collecting
water, managing waste, reclaiming land, and generating energy.

With vibrant illustrations created by a member of
the Beehive Collective and descriptive text based
on years of experimentation, Stacy and Scott
explain how to build and grow with cheap,
salvaged, and recycled materials, making the
Guide an accessible and relevant tool for all
members of the community. This manual enables us
to move from envisioning a future with resources for all to living it.

Stacy Pettigrew and Scott Kellogg are part of the
Rhizome Collective, an educational and activist
organization based in Austin, Texas. Its members
recently received a $200,000 brownfield cleanup
grant from the EPA, which they're using to turn a
10-acre dump into an ecological justice park. The
bioremediation techniques they developed are
being used to remove toxins deposited by the waters of Hurricane Katrina.
Book Formats:

Interview

Sonali Kolkatar of Uprising Radio, interviewed
Scott Kellogg and Stacy Pettigrew on radical
sustainability on May 27, 2008. You can access
the interview on more information http://www.southendpress.org/2007/items/87804

For more information about Scott Kellogg & Stacy
Pettigrew please visit http://www.radicalsustainability.org

For more information about R.U.S.T. and the
Rhizome collective please visit http://www.rhizomecollective.org

Praise

"This important manual will become even more
necessary as people increasingly recognize the
end of the age of oil-and increasingly
relocalize. Toolbox for Sustainable City Living
should be on the shelves of all city dwellers."
Derrick Jensen, author of Endgame

"These simple, yet powerful steps can transform
your life and your concept of sustainability.
Radical sustainability--intimately connected to
urban living and urban people doing for
themselves--is critically important. This book
provides us with relevant tools to change what we
do and valuable thoughts to push the conversation
forward. If you care about low income urban
people and their/our future you are going to read this book."
Renée Toll-DuBois, Eagle Eye Institute

And for the Rhizome Collective

"The Rhizome Collective is a force that gets
stuff done...a surprisingly effective model for
connecting people with dreams to the resources they need."
Austin Chronicle

"They had a really great idea of where they're
going with the site. It was so sustainable, and
the practices they're using are very innovative.
We didn't see them anywhere else."
Amber Perry, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

"One group distinguishing themselves as a major
environmental force is the Rhizome Collective."
The Green Building Program Newsletter

Scott Kellogg and Stacy Pettigrew are co-founders
of the Rhizome Collective, an educational and
activist organization based in Austin, Texas,
that recently received a $200,000 grant from the
EPA to clean up a 10-acre brownfield that they
are transforming into an ecological justice park.
Toolbox for Sustainable City Living developed out
of R.U.S.T.­Radical Urban Sustainability
Training­their intensive weekend seminar in urban ecological survival skills.

Release Date: 7/9/2008 6:50 AM

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous