[Lapg] FRI Aug 1 / Sustainable World Radio Interview with English Urban Permaculturist/Author Graham Burnett

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Jul 30 21:37:06 PDT 2008

Friday, Aug 1, 9-10am Sustainable World Radio on
KCSB 91.9 FM and streaming live on www.kcsb.org.
Also found on  www.sustainableworldradio.com, or
www.radio4all.net later in the month

Join Jill Cloutier of Sustainable World Radio for
an interview  with English Urban
Permaculturist/Author Graham Burnett
www.grahamburnett.net He is an experienced
permaculture practitioner, designer and teacher.
Burnett is a member of the Council of Management
of the Permaculture Association (Britain), and
holds the Diploma in Permaculture Design (Dip
Perm Des). Graham is self published author of
Permaculture, a Beginners Guide and other books listed below.
Also joining the interview will be Wesley Roe of
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

FURTHER NOTES ON GRAHAM BURNETT
Graham Burnett has over 20 years experience in
working with adults with learning disabilities,
including in  horticultural settings, and has
designed a number of therapuetic and productive
landscapes using permaculture and forest
gardening principles. He has tended allotments
since 1984, and is a qualified organic gardener
and an active member of his
<http://www.wlcsallotments.org.uk/>allotment
association and the
<http://www.seeog.org.uk/>South East Organic Gardeners Group

TRANSITION TOWN WESTCLIFF
http://www.transitionwestcliff.org.uk/

Graham Burnett is involved with the Transition
Town Westcliff, an exploration of how the people
of Westcliff on Sea and the surrounding area can
prepare for a carbon constrained, energy lean
world. TTW is a community-led initiative which is
working towards the creation of an
<http://transitiontowns.org/Totnes/Main/WhatIsAnEnergyDescentPlan?>Energy
Descent Action Plan for the town. The thinking
behind TTW is simply that a town using much less
energy and resources than we presently consume
could, if properly planned for and designed, be
more resilient, more abundant and more pleasurable than the present.

TOWARDS AN ECOLOGY OF THE SELF'

-Zone Zero Zero permaculture design notes by  GRAHAM BURNETT

  http://www.grahamburnett.net/
"You start with your nose, then your hands, your
back door, your doorstep. You get all that right,
then everything is right. If all that's wrong, nothing can ever be right"

-Bill Mollison

A small booklet exploring the role of the
'personal' in permaculture design systems. The
interconnected permaculture ethics of earthcare
and peoplecare imply that wholeness and earth
repair is not just about the wider ‘out there’ of
our gardens, farms, forests and oceans, but is
just as importantly to do with the ‘ecology of
the self’. Paying attention to our own physical,
mental, emotional and spiritual needs and
development is fundamental to good 'Zone Zero
Zero' design. Just as peace is not simply the
absence of war, so too health is not just about
being free from disease. Therefore self-care -
setting up holistic mind and body systems in
order to avoid sickness, depression, stress and
burn-out - is a vital part of enhancing
well-being and developing personal effectiveness.

PUBLICATIONS
Graham has written, illustrated and
self-published a number of books and pamphlets
through Spiralseed, a small business enterprise
dedicated to  promoting permaculture and
earthright living using illustration, literature
and other media. Titles include;
<http://spiralseed.co.uk/flyer/>Permaculture, a Beginners Guide
<http://www.spiralseed.co.uk/wellfed>Well Fed, Not An Animal Dead
<http://www.spiralseed.co.uk/ecoself/>Towards An
Ecology of the Self - Zone Zero Zero Permaculture Design Notes
<http://www.spiralseed.co.uk/happy/>Happy,
Healthy, Caring and Sharing - a Book For Young Green Vegans
and
<http://www.spiralseed.co.uk/earthwritings/>Earthwritings,
a collection of articles, artwork, conversations
and songs prefaced by Penny Rimbaud of
<http://www.southern.com/southern/band/CRASS/>CRASS.
He is currently writing a book for Permanent
Publications as well as working on a book of 'Thinking Tools' for Spiralseed.

Lifestyle Gardening? No Thanks! by Graham Burnett

The following article was written as the first of
a series of forthcoming 'gardening columns' for
'The Idler' magazine <http://www.idler.co.uk/>www.idler.co.uk

Friends and colleagues are often surprised by my
attitude towards Reality TV gardening shows- for
aren’t they are encouraging the cathode-ray
addled masses to get outdoors, get their hands
dirty and get growing- surely no bad thing? Well
I’m afraid I’m unconvinced. Basically they are
just another variation on the endless slew of
‘makeover’ programs that tell us what to eat,
what to wear and how to live. You know the kind
of thing- invariably they feature an host of
celebrities gurning into the camera whilst they
slap down the decking, exotic ornamentals and
(ahem) 'water features' as a 'surprise' for some
gormless householder while they'd just popped
down the shop for a packet of fags or something.
If these punters couldn't keep their garden in
order when it was just a patch of lawn with a
rabbit hutch and a kid’s tricycle on it, how do
they hope to cope once its converted into a high
maintenance, Corporate Garden Centre-dependant
mini-version of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon???

My vision of the urban garden is a place where we
can begin to develop self-reliance, growing
useful crops such as fruit, vegetables and herbs
by implementing permaculture techniques and
methods. The difference between the permaculture
garden and its more 'conventional' counterpart is
basically to do with design- or at least, an
approach towards design. Of course, 'design' is
very much addressed by the ‘lifestyle’ shows.
However this tends to be focused purely in terms
of aesthetics and fashion- what colours and
shapes go well together this year, where best to
place that decking or water feature to impress
the neighbours, how to avoid those plants and
flowers that are just so passé... It’s also an
exclusive and top-down approach. We the viewers,
as well as their clients in TV land, simply sit
back and gawp as open mouthed passive consumers
whilst ‘The Experts’ dazzle us with their skills, knowledge and witty banter.

Permaculture design on the other hand is more
about building up a thorough and intimate
understanding of both your garden (its aspect,
soil type, wind and rainfall patterns, what
plants or creatures share it with you, etc) and
what you actually want from it. Therefore my
first piece of practical advice to any gardener
that would prefer to work with rather than
against nature is simply to Slow Down- "Don’t
just do something- sit there". Many
permaculturists recommend a non-intervening
observation period of at least twelve months. In
reality this isn't always practical as we usually
need (or want!) to obtain some kind of a yield
before this, and you might well fancy cultivating
at least part of your plot in order to get in a
few crops of spuds, onions, carrots, etc. However
the 'leave it a year' rule is certainly good
advice to follow before making any changes that
may be difficult to reverse, such as any major
landscaping, pond creation, tree and hedge
planting or building permanent structures like sheds and greenhouses.

By practising ‘thoughtful inaction’ rather than
the frantic activity promoted by the makeover
shows you will gain a good solid grounding
regarding the relationship between you, your
garden, it’s limitations and it’s assets. In the
long term such insights will be essential if you
are to develop a truly sustainable and integrated
landscape that can produce food, medicines, seeds
(for propagation or sharing out with others- make
your plot a community hub!), craft and building
materials, fibres, dyes, and much more.

This certainly isn't to say that productive
landscapes should be about visually dull
utilitarianism. Form follows function, and all
the permaculture gardens I've ever seen are
places of great beauty. But this kind of beauty
flows from the relationships to be found in
natural eco-systems, at once elegant in their
simplicity, yet at the same time diverse in their
complexity. Furthermore, a well-designed
permaculture garden has many other 'uses' beyond
simply 'growing stuff'- play area (for kids or
adults
), spiritual retreat, open-air art
gallery, wildlife sanctuary, tree nursery,
nattering with the neighbours, yoga and mediation
space, bio-diversity storehouse or somewhere to dry your washing.

Above all, the permaculture garden should be
somewhere for relaxation and enjoyment, not yet
another place to get hung up about whether or not
you are ‘doing it right’ or meeting others’
expectations. For me, there's nothing like our
small urban garden on a summer's afternoon. The
bushes and trees are literally dripping with
grapes, cherries, apples, loganberries,
blackcurrants, strawberries and raspberries,
whilst burnet, sorrel, rocket, mints, Welsh and
tree onions, chives, lovage, lettuces, day
lilies, marigolds, poppies and other edible
leaves and flowers fill the salad beds. Buddleia
and evening primroses scent the warm air and
frogs and newts plop into the pond. Blue tits
search the trees for bugs whilst starlings polish
off the cherries that are out of human reach.
Cuban or dub grooves drift from the open kitchen
window and I'm under the shade of the quince tree
in a deck chair with a case of fine local beer
and a good book- truly the embodiment of 'the
designer as a recliner’, and much better than watching the telly any day