[Lapg] Meet September 25 7pm - Devorah Brous ­ Founder, BUSTAN (Bedouin/Jewish Permaculture Center)

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Sep 15 21:31:55 PDT 2008

On September 25th at 7:00pm at 719 N. Maple Dr.,
LA (at the home of Terry DeBell) for an Iftar
meal. Please join poets and musicians as we
celebrate and support the continued collaborative
work of BUSTAN's Bedouin and Jewish architects,
eco-builders, farmers, and artists - promoting
the fair allocation of natural resources, and
sustainable resource use in the Negev. BUSTAN
invites you to to learn more about our unique
approach to hands-on peacebuilding that has led
to the creation of several award-winning and
sustainable projects. During this exciting event,
Devorah will speak for 15 minutes as the Founder,
and we will also connect up by skype with Bedouin
Executive Director, Ra'ed Almickawi, for 15
minutes to present in English before a
question/answer period. Devorah and Ra'ed will
discuss what we can do to catalyze and steward a
healthy and sustainable connection with the Land, and all of its people?
Please RSVP to
<mailto:bustanevent at gmail.com>bustanevent at gmail.com
by September 20th. Salaamat, Shalom, Peace!
<http://www.bustan.org/>www.bustan.org

<file://??>community building for land and for
people - a <file://??>social and environmental
collaboration in Israel/Palestine

Rosh HaShana, the Jewish New Year, is fast
approaching. Likewise, through most of September,
Muslims are marking Ramadan, the holiest month of
the year, culminating in the Eid Ul Fitr. Rosh
HaShanah and Ramadan share more similarities than
just their dates this year. Both holidays are a
time of reflection and renewal, a time to examine
the year past and prepare for the year ahead. For
BUSTAN, the special intertwining of these two key
holidays this year has powerful symbolism, for it
reflects our core philosophy­that the peoples of
the Negev region where we work, Bedouin and
Jewish, thrive best when working together to sustain the land and its peoples.
  Devorah Brous ­ Founder, BUSTAN
An American-Israeli, Brous has spent the past 15
years catalyzing projects and designing, and
running campaigns in Israel and the Occupied
Territories to promote social and environmental
justice. Devorah holds 2 masters degrees in
Israel Studies and Peace/Conflict Studies, with a
concentration in conflict transformation. In
1999, she founded BUSTAN. Brous is a writer, and
an internationally-renowned speaker on the
conflict between Israel and the Bedouin;
Greenwashing; and the political and strategic
aspects of environmental policies in the region.
She returned to the U.S. and now resides in L.A., CA.

Ra'ed Almickawi - Director, BUSTAN
Ra'ed was born and raised in the government
planned township of Tel Sheva in the Negev.
Ra'ed's background is in filmmaking and
journalism, which he studied in the Television
Journalism department of Sapir Academic College
in the Negev. He worked for six years in
television production, advertising, and corporate
branding and image development. In 2006, Ra'ed
returned to Sapir Academic College to study
cinema, and in 2007 he established the
revolutionary internet-based television station
Naqab.tv. He ran Naqab.tv as a part of Sendyan
Public Relations, a company he founded with his
brother. It was through developing news stories
about BUSTAN that Ra'ed encountered BUSTAN. He is
excited about this opportunity to merge his
expertise in filmmaking and journalism with
community building and social justice activism
through BUSTAN. Ra'ed lives in Tel Sheva with his family.

As BUSTAN prepares to begin a new year, we
reflect on our accomplishments this year, including:

    * Opening our Green Center in Beersheva,
which now hosts volunteers and delegations, classes and events;
    * Launching the Children's Power
Project­providing chronically-ill children with
solar-powered equipment in unrecognized villages
which do not receive their basic right to electricity;
    * Graduating the first joint Jewish-Bedouin
permaculture course.  As far as we know this is
the first permaculture course for Bedouin
participants anywhere in the world.  Graduating
students will receive an internationally
recognized permaculture certificate in September.
    * Seventeen Bedouin women completed our
BUSTAN TV video documentation and editing course,
co-taught with B'tselem and local filmmakers.
    * Lots more
.Negev Unplugged Tours, eco-arts
classes, summer green gathering for Bedouin
teens, volunteers from all over the world. Check
out our <http://www.bustan.org/>website for more details.