[Lapg] ADDITIONAL 6 month Permaculture Farm and Garden Apprenticeship Position, Esalen, Big Sur

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Mar 31 05:04:46 PDT 2009

>To all those in the field of Permaculture and Sustainable Agriculture,
>
>We have just added a 6 month position in the Farm and Garden at
>Esalen apprenticeship program. A great opportunity for those who
>wish to become farmers, deepen their connection with growing food
>and oneself in relationship to the earth. our program follows the
>UCSC CASFS curriculum along with a full integrated permaculture
>design component. Attached is the information about this program as
>well as how to apply for it, please pass along to anyone you know is
>interested.
>
>in best practice
>Benjamin Fahrer

Farm and Garden Permaculture Apprenticeship Program
The Esalen Institute

Big Sur, Ca

About Esalen
Esalen Institute, renowned for its healing natural hot springs, has
long been recognized as a world leader in alternative and
experiential education. Dramatically situated on the Big Sur cliffs
over the Pacific Ocean, the sacred beauty of the land-clear air,
pulsing sea, garden path and waterfall, steaming mineral water
bubbling up from deep within the earth-is itself transformative. Now
in its fifth decade, Esalen offers more than 500 public workshops and
seminars a year, accenting personal growth and social change, in
areas traditionally neglected by mainstream institutions. A
non-profit educational foundation, Esalen is also known for its
research initiatives, invitational conferences, residential
work-study programs, and long-term internships. Part pioneering lab
and college for alternative practices, magical restorative retreat,
and creative think-tank for the emerging world culture, Esalen is
dedicated to exploring work in the humanities and sciences that
furthers the full realization of the human potential.

Once home to a Native American tribe known as the Essalen, Esalen
today is home to a thriving community of residents and staff and is
situated on 27 acres of spectacular Big Sur coastline with the Santa
Lucia Mountains rising sharply behind.

We are looking for people who want to experience the Esalen communal
life while working in a thriving non-profit organization. Applicants
for the Farm and Garden Apprenticeship are to be open and flexible,
energetic, comfortable in groups of people, and able to manage a
broad diversity of challenges at once. A good sense of humor,
positive and enthusiastic attitude, and willingness to learn are
essential attributes of prospective apprentices.

Terms of the Apprenticeship

In exchange for 32 hours of work per week, and 8-16 hours of
Educational time, Esalen provides shared and private accommodations
for the 6 month position. Use of the baths - including showers and
hot pools as well as the rest of the site - is included. (no pets are
allowed.)

  Tuition for the 6 months is $1500. This can be paid for in
installments of $250 per month to cover educational aspects of this
dynamic and unique opportunity.  We pay for all utilities and your
food costs;   All meals are shared by the entire community and those
attending workshops in our main lodge which serves healthy, and when
possible local and organic meals 3 times a day.

In your free time, you can take advantage of the facilities and
opportunities that exist at Esalen in our residential educational
program and workshops that don't conflict with the apprenticeship
schedule and as space permits. Apprentices are also eligible for
scholarships, discounts and specific privileges that exist for this
type of residency at Esalen.

The Esalen Institute offers four apprenticeship positions in our 40
year old Biointensive organic farm and garden: A 12-month position
from March 15th  2009 to February 14th 2010,  two 9-month positions
from April 1st  2008 to December 20th 2009, and a 6 month position
from May 10th to Nov. 22. Apprentices work a farmer's schedule of 6-8
hours a day 5 days a week, with flexibility, every day starts with a
harvest at 7 am and many conclude before lunch at 1:15. Afternoon
educational sessions, group process sessions and special projects
constitute for other time outside of this most morning schedule. In
addition all apprentices and Farm and Garden Staff will be
participating in the two month 90 hour Permaculture Design
Certification Course from April 15th till June 7th that is offered
through the work scholar program. The 6 month apprentice will join
the Permaculture course halfway through the course and will make up
the first month in a integrated learning method.

THE 6 MONTH POSITION IS STILL OPEN FOR 2009.

Prior gardening experience is helpful but not necessary. However, a
desire to learn and a keen interest in hands-on gardening are
essential. We are looking for motivated, self-starting people who can
be comfortable occasionally working alone. Farm and Garden
apprentices are involved in all aspects of farming and gardening,
including propagation and greenhouse work, watering, bed preparation,
composting, transplanting, sowing, weeding, harvesting, seed saving
and processing. Physical stamina is a must. We work outside rain, fog
or shine!

To be considered for the apprenticeship program, you need to attend
at least one Garden Volunteer Day at Esalen. To be a Garden Volunteer
you need to schedule this in advance with the farm and garden
manager, and can be scheduled Monday thru Friday from 10 am to 5 pm,
and include lunch at 12:30 pm. You need not stay all day.

To Apply

Please fill out the Residential Education application Form and send a
cover letter and resume to the Farm and Garden supervisor.  In the
cover letter tell us about yourself, your interests and experience,
and what you hope to get out of your time at Esalen that are specific
to the Farm and Garden Dept. If you have been here before, tell us
about your experience. Please include work and personal references
with day and evening phone numbers, if possible. The apprenticeship
is open until filled. If you would like more general information
about Esalen before submitting an application, feel free to call our
main office and they will be happy to answer any questions. Please
contact the farm and garden department for question that are specific
to these positions.

Applications, resumes and cover letters must be submitted to the Farm
and Garden Program supervisor, Benjamin Fahrer (email :
farm at esalen.org, phone: (831) 667-2376)

After initial selection of potential candidates, we require another
1/2-day working on-site interview. This interview will be scheduled
in April.

We look forward to hearing from you!

?

  Benjamin Fahrer
benjamin.fahrer at esalen.org
       Lead Farmer phone 831-667-2376
http://www.wiserearth.org/user/benjammin

The Prime Directive of Permaculture
"The only ethical decision is to take responsibility for our own
existence and that of our children.  Make it now."

<mailto:farm at esalen.org>farm at esalen.org, phone: (831) 667-2376)

After initial selection of potential candidates, we require another
1/2-day working on-site interview. This interview will be scheduled
in April.

We look forward to hearing from you!

	filename="ES-Intern Application.doc"

  Benjamin Fahrer