[Lapg] Looking for volunteer community project

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 14:58:57 PDT 2009

This is from my son, who did the permaculture course with Darren Daugherty at Quail Springs a couple of years ago and is currently age 17.

****

My name is Stephen Brennan and I'm looking for a project to do for the Eagle Scout rank in the Boy Scouts. Projects I'm looking for should have:

1. A lot of required man power. I need things that I can clock at least 50 man hours on. Anything that has existing or potential volunteers outside of my boyscout troop is also desired.

2. Local. I need project site within approximately 20 miles from Glendale, CA.

3. Permanence. The project needs to have a lasting effect on the area. It should have a permanent infrastructure as an element of the project, it cannot be some sort of clean up, for instance.

4. Community impact. I cannot do a project for someone's personal gain. The project has to be for benefit of the community at large.

A few more things that I want but do not need are:

1. Professional involvement. If professionals of related occupations to the project were to help or advise me that would be greatly appreciated.

2. Existing projects. If you (or anyone else) has a project that they need jump started that would be great. I still need to be involved in the planning to some extent though.  For instance, a community garden site that needs irrigation and soil prep in order to open, an existing school ag project that needs some sort of infrastructure added, etc. I will consider any project, however.

3. Projects that can use permaculture solutions and can provide multiple benefits are of interest, such as water catchment/conservation for a school or community garden project, preparing soils, etc.

That is all. Thanks in advance.

-Stephen Brennan