[Lapg] Urgent call to action in support of Van Jones

Rachel Dawson radiantearth at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:27:56 PDT 2009

our man needs our help x L

Begin forwarded message:

 *From: *Ocean Robbins <ocean at yesworld.org>
*Date: *September 4, 2009 8:00:23 AM PDT
*To: *Ocean Robbins <ocean at yesworld.org>
*Subject: **Urgent call to action in support of Van Jones*

Dear Friends,

Van Jones, a man whose life and work are committed to building a new green
economy while generating jobs for some of the people who need them most, is
under attack from the right wing attack machine.  For those of us who have
been touched by Van's life and message, now is the time to stand up for him,
for the green jobs agenda, and for President Obama.

Van is the special advisor on green jobs for the White House Council on
Environmental Quality.  Now familiar, negative politics are being used to go
after an African-American surrogate for Obama, Van Jones.

It seems like a kind of high-tech witch hunt.  A rising African American
visionary who works in the White House is being targeted with allegations
that he’s a Communist.  In fact, he’s a best-selling author whose work, and
role in the White House, are all about using capitalism to help people and
the planet.  He’s been recognized by the World Economic Forum as a social
entrepreneur, and his life is dedicated to creating private sector jobs that
make the world a better place and improve America's energy security.  Glenn
Beck, Fox News, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, and Bill O'Reilly are saying he’s
a dangerous radical extremist.  In fact, he’s a kind, warm person who has
built bridges across racial divides, class divides, and political divides.
 Mr. Beck loves to mention the fact that Van Jones was arrested twice.
Again though, Beck never tells his audience that in neither case was Van
Jones ever charged with any crime.  Furthermore, Beck neglects to mention
the fact that Van Jones actually won a lawsuit and monetary compensation
based on the illegality of his arrest in one case.

Van Jones is someone worth defending.  And for those of us who know his
courageous spirit, his loving heart, and his wisdom, now is the time to
speak.  We are urging you to post on blogs, to send emails to lists, to
contact or submit stories for media outlets, to comment on internet news
articles, and to use any other mediums you have to tell the truth about Van
Jones as you know him.  In the next few days, we can expect a continued roar
of negative publicity, out-of-context quotes, half-truths presented as
"fact", and the continued vilification of a man whose life and work have
inspired millions with visions of a socially just, environmentally
sustainable, and economically robust economy.  If you know the truth about
Van, please help get the word out.

Feel free to forward this message widely, or to use any words in it that you
find helpful if you wish to reach out to your own lists.

Yours for healthy people and a healthy planet,

John Robbins, author, Diet for a New America and founder of EarthSave
International
Ocean Robbins, author, The Power of Partnership and founder of YES!

PS -- A few potentially useful links are here:

 *A former employer who knows Van well corrects the record*
http://www.alternet.org/environment/142310/glenn_beck's_crazy_lies_about_van_jones
*
*
*Thomas Friedman's New York Times article about Van's work and message*
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/opinion/17friedman.html?_r=1

*Van sharing his message on the Colbert Report (they call this a communist
radical?)*
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/164563/april-01-2008/van-jones

*Article exploring some of Glenn Beck's "facts" on Van Jones*
http://www.examiner.com/x-5738-Political-Buzz-Examiner
~y2009m9d3-Video--Glenn-Becks-most-recent-attacks-on-Van-Jones-and-911-Truth-reveal-his-own-hypocrisy

www.livingpeaceinojai.com
Co-organizers,
Laura Whitney   Judy Gabriel 805.798.5231    jangelgabriel at gmail.com

--
"If there is any positive side to stark changes coming our way, it may be in
the benefits of close communal relations, of having to really work

Years from now, when we hear singing at all, we will hear ourselves, and we
will sing with our whole hearts."

"The Long Emergency", 2005, by James Howard Kunstler, Grove/Atlantic, Inc.,
publisher.