[Lapg] ***Sat Sept 26/Fundraiser Event for IPC9 in Africa/Scholarship fund for Ed Mendoza & African Attendees

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Tue Sep 8 12:58:55 PDT 2009

Africa , where civilization got it's start...
54 countries, 1000 languages, 780 million people, incredible
diversity of cultures and environments...

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
Fundraising Event
Saturday, September 26, 2009, 6:00 - 9:30pm
Join us as we raise funds to bring Ed Mendoza, of Indigenous
Permaculture de Aztlan to
the 9th International Permaculture Conference & Convergence (IPC9)

   Food Donation $5, Sola House Courtyard, 312 E. Sola St, downtown
Santa Barbara, CA
Emacs!

         Africa is at a crossroads.  It has the potential to help
model a pathway to sustainability for the rest of the world, but is
also currently undergoing the most rapid change and destruction of
it's natural resources and cultures.

         In 2007 a group of dedicated African delegates arrived at
the 8th International Permaculture Convergence in Brazil, with the
intention of bringing the next Convergence to Africa.  They made a
successful bid, and have been working tirelessly ever since to show
the world what permaculture can do for their countries and the
world.  With some of the original and oldest permaculture centers in
the world located in Africa, they have much to share.

         Santa Barbara Permaculture Network non-profit is a part of
the official Support Group for IPC9.  With your help we are
sponsoring long time permaculture teacher and designer Ed Mendoza,
founder of Indigeneous Permacultre de Aztlan to attend the next IPC9
in Africa.   We also hope to raise additional funds for scholarships
for Africans from cash poor, but experience and skill rich regions to
attend.  Funds needed to bring Ed Mendoza to IPC9 approximately
$2500.  Help us reach our goals with small or large donations, all
are appreciated!

         Please join us for an evening of fun, music and food. If you
want to bring your favorite African dish, please do, a prize for the
most unique & authentic dish will be awarded.  Also a prize for most
beautiful African sarong worn (men or women!).  Drums and other
musical instruments encouraged. This is the "culture" in
permaculture, our chance one more time, through the International
Permaculture Convergences, to learn about our friends around the
world,  this time Africa.

Donations may be made out to: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network 501
(c) 3, (designate Ed/IPC9) PO Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA
93190.  Donations are tax deductible, and a receipt will be promptly
provided with tax i.d. information for your records.

Event Sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, Sustainable World Radio,
Food Contributions by Manzanita

Emacs!
  Eduardo (Ed) Mendoza (Xikano-Nahuatl) is a farmer, poet, activist
and Director of Indigenous Permaculture de Aztlan.  In 1993 he became
an agricultural advisor for the Traditional Native American Farmers
Association and started to train in Permaculture.  He worked for the
Gila River Indian Community, establishing an aquaculture and farming
program to teach young juveniles about traditional crops.  Ed helped
establish the Casa Blanca Growers Cooperative which grows mostly
traditional organic crops.  He currently works on the Gila River
Indian Reservation in Arizona promoting the use and production of
traditional crops and seed saving for future generations.  Formerly
on the Board of Native Seed Search, he remains a consultant working
on dietary research related to Diabetes.  He is a part of the
teaching team for Indigenous Permaculture
(www.indigenous-permaculture.com) with a yearly course in Santa Fe,
NM.  The purpose of Indigenous Permaculture de Aztlan is to assist
indigenous nations learn the means to be economically self sufficient
and to respect culture and ceremony, to restore lands for future
generations, with youth trained in permaculture and other
sustainability skills such as rainwater harvesting, polycultures,
aquaculture, and solar energy.

Emacs!

November 2009

  www.ipc9.org

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous