[Lapg] Watts goin on

CURTIS BLANKINSHIP curtis.blankinship at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 16:12:22 PDT 2009

Hey

I am trying to work with the peeps of the hood down here in Watts. I may
have them put up a flyer similar to the rough draft enclosed.
The community orgs down here all have their own agenda but I think they will
get behind a good old fashioned boycott.
I've been reading about the history of the area.
In the 20s and 30s all the businesses were white owned on Central. The real
estate covenants forced blacks into the area.
When none of the white owned stores would hire blacks they boycotted. It
worked to some extent until the depression took hold.

The tax assessor told me the dilapidated house across the street is owned by
u.s. bank. with an address in Maryland. Of course, when you try to  look
them up
their is no contact info. They only talk to realtors. We want to turn it
into a recording/ art studio.  Central ave. was the mecca for music on the
west coast.
It still is to some extent. people all over the world know the music of
South L.A.

A prospective tenant for my duplex told me that Watts is the dumping ground
for the surrounding area. Thats why the alleys are always filled with junk.
I should know this but can I get money for this junk? i assume I cant or
people would be doing it.
In Oregon they have brings recycling where you bring your junk and buy other
peoples junk.
I may just rent a chipper and throw the furniture into it and blast the
output down the alley.

There are several empty lots around my duplex. I think I may put my own lock
on the gate give it to the next door neighbor and create a garden for the
community with raised beds.

I talked to a realtor about a house that is so bad that the weeds are 3 feet
high and very dense. The gate is open and you can see the roof is falling
in.
She claimed she already had an offer. I will cal her once a month to
complain until it is torn down and construction starts.

I have to find the money to do all this. I met with a contractor / property
management guy about my oregon property. He will fix up and build some small
shelters and split the rent with me.
I own that property free and  clear so I hope to use money from that to help
out in Watts. Unfortunatly, everyone in Oregon wants to do work share. the
other problem is getting heat to the living units.
There are many microbreweries in eugene. I should be able to use the spent
grain to heat a still and make alcohol. I should be able to use waste oil
heaters and convert them to alcohol when I have enough. Ideally, I'd like to
use biogas generators but these have a high learning curve.
I am also looking at stirling engines. Whispergen has a diesel generator
that costs 10 k that also heats your house and water.

29 palms sandbag architecture project awaiting approval.

See you at the hellman event tonight.

Curtis
The Wizard of Watts