[Lapg] Joel Salatin advocates a better way to raise food /Christian Science Monitor Nov 24/09

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Nov 26 06:57:07 PST 2009

Joel Salatin advocates a better way to raise food
Farmer/lecturer Joel Salatin champions 'moral
farming' as a better way to raise food. 'What is
a moral way to raise a chicken?' he asks.
By David Grant  |

Meet the best, loudest (and only)
Christian-libertarian-
Capitalist-environmentalist-lunatic farmer on the
face of planet Earth.
http://features.csmonitor.com/environment/2009/11/24/joel-salatin-advocates-a-better-way-to-raise-food/

Joel Salatin, self-professed owner of that
lengthy honorific, has a personality bigger than
the Grain Belt and a genius for farming that has
made him a glib, brilliant prophet to a growing
movement of back-to-nature farmers from
California to Swoope, Va. (pop. 1,326), where his
550-acre Polyface Farm rests at the foot of the
Blue Ridge Mountains.

Mr. Salatin's agricultural preaching has
influenced food author and journalist Michael
Pollan ("Omnivore's Dilemma") and earned him a
prominent spot in the documentary "Food, Inc.,"
making waves worldwide.
What makes Salatin so powerful on the farming
scene is a unique mix of ingenuity, faith, and
business savvy.

Whether making farming lectures feel like
religious revivals or handling customers'
questions at the family store, it's this blend of
agricultural potency and inspirational vision
that enables him to gross roughly $2 million
annually and stand at the front of a growing
community of farmers that may look like
quintessential American rustics but whose
techniques are anything but traditional.

On a foundation of Christian principles, Salatin
has built a farming ecosystem where cows, pigs,
chickens, turkeys, and rabbits interact
ecologically in a way that goes beyond
conservation.

"What we're looking at is God's design, nature's
template, and using that as a pattern to cut
around and lay it down on a domestic model to
duplicate that pattern that we see in nature,"
Salatin says.

What that means for Polyface in practical terms
is that the cattle graze different areas of
pasture every day. Then chickens pick through the
same fields, eating bugs and spreading cow manure
before clucking back to mobile coops.

The farm's pigs generate fertilizer by rooting
around the floor of the barn, lured by sweet corn
into aerating the mix of hay, cow manure, and
wood chips. The finished compost is spread on
fields. This process not only takes almost
nothing out of the environment, it puts nutrients
back in.

"We believe that the farm should be building
'forgiveness' into the ecosystem," Salatin says.
"What does that mean? That a more forgiving
ecosystem is one that can better handle drought,
flood, disease, pestilence."

Salatin concedes that when his father bought the
farm in 1962, the family's initial emphasis on
sustainable farming had more to do with
environmental concerns than faith convictions.
But as the business evolved, Salatin began to see
himself situated at a unique place in America's
moral conversation.

"We should at least be asking, Is there a
righteous way to farm and an unrighteous way to
farm? Š The first goal is to at least get people
to appreciate that how we farm is a moral
question," he says. "Once you get to that point,
then you can actually discuss:

What is a moral farm? What is a moral way to raise a chicken?"
How farm animals are treated on the majority of farms today dismays Salatin.

What Americans do to pigs, chickens, and cows
speaks ill of the nation's moral health, he says.
"A culture that views its life from such a
manipulative, disrespectful stance will soon view
its citizens the same way and other cultures the
same way. It's how we respect the least of these
that creates a moral-ethical framework."

Don't be confused: Salatin is no crunchy-granola
transplant to Appalachia. He graduated from
archconservative Bob Jones University in
Greenville, S.C., with a degree in English. While
he appreciates the "bearded, beaded, braless,
Woodstock revolution" set who make up the bulwark
of environmentally conscious farming, he's
delighted that half of those coming to visit his
farm nowadays are involved in the home-school
movement.
It's this broad appeal that makes Salatin unique,
says Teresa Heinz, the American philanthropist
whose foundation recently awarded him a $100,000
award for his work.
"Salatin is a person who is accessible
conceptually and conceptually acceptable to a
huge number of people - not just the
Massachusetts guys, but people from anywhere,"
Ms. Heinz says.

What breaks Salatin's heart is that the rest of
the religious right has been largely uninterested
in picking up the banner of environmental
stewardship.

"I think the whole religious right community
should be very apologetic and repentant that we -
who should have carried the banner of Earth
stewardship - got co-opted on that message," he
says.

But his position as a darling of the
environmental left but with increasing cachet and
respect from the religious right may make him the
catalyst in bringing the two groups together.

"Buying food as a community is a very fundamental
Christian value. It's a value of many religions,
and it's a value of the liberal community as
well," says David Evans, who owns Marin Sun
Farms, 40 miles north of San Francisco. "I like
to believe that around food production is where
we can become more politically neutral. Everyone
should be around the table on these issues."

Like Salatin, Mr. Evans refuses to sell his
products beyond a roughly four-hour drive from
his farm. By following Salatin's model of
marketing directly to local restaurants, farmers'
markets, and grocers, Evans has tapped into a
community-based form of economic growth.
"We were growing at 50 to 100 percent a year for
the last 10 years," Evans says, adding that sales
between June 2008 and August 2009 increased by
100 percent. "It's easy to adopt [Salatin's]
practices because he has proven results."
In partnerships with local ranchers, Marin Sun
Farms grosses roughly $3 million per year by
selling to three public school districts, 49
restaurants, and Stanford University's dining
services, among others. Salatin, by comparison,
sells to roughly 2,000 families through local
"buying clubs" and about 50 restaurants,
including a Chipotle franchise in
Charlottesville, Va.

While farmers are often quick to grasp Salatin's
agricultural practices, persuading them to adopt
the marketing portion of his program is much more
difficult.
"They assume they can just sit out on the tractor
seat and till the crop and not have to deal with
the people," says Galen Bontrager, a former
apprentice at Polyface Farms who now runs a
small, Salatin-inspired farm in Iowa.
Moreover, Mr. Bontrager says, farmers have become
so used to relying on those outside agriculture
for guidance on their farms that they've lost
their initiative.
This is part of the reason Salatin spends nearly
half his time preaching his agricultural
evangelism from coast to coast. By all accounts,
his presentations are barnburners.
"Hearing him talk is like going to a revival
meeting," says Jo Robinson, a journalist and
founder of eatwild.com, a clearinghouse for
information on pasture-raised animals.
People come away from his meetings, saying, "
'I'm going to do everything he's doing!' " she
adds. "He takes people who have never been
farmers and inspires them to become farmers."

But the big question is, Can this sort of
small-scale, environmentally sustainable farming
really feed the world?

Salatin answers with a resounding yes, even
though ecoconscious farming currently accounts
for less than 5 percent of American food
production. And that's after what he estimates is
a quadrupling of the number of environmentally
friendly farms in the past five years.

"Not only can we feed the world, we're the only
system that can feed the world," Salatin
declares. "What's happening is that the current
industrial system is beginning to break down."

Still, Polyface Farms faces an ethical limit when
it comes to producing food: By promising personal
connections with the purchasers of Polyface
products, the business can grow only so large.

"His model is not scalable in terms of getting
bigger and bigger. That defeats what he's doing,"
Ms. Robinson says. "It can be multiplied - there
can be many people that do what he does. There
are people who are scaling up so that they can
sell to restaurant chains and Whole Foods, and
he's not a part of that."

If Salatin's model is going to be more than a
footnote to American agricultural history, many
more farmers will need to attempt his delicate
balance: growing big and savvy enough to make a
decent profit while staying small enough to
remain part of the community. Until then, Salatin
and his devotees hope to find converts in more
and more farmers' markets, local restaurants, and
buying clubs.

"We know that the best-tasting stuff and the most
integrity is found by buying right from the
farmer you know," Evans says. "It doesn't get any
better than that."

Editor's note: For more articles about the
environment, see the Monitor's main environment
page, which offers information on many
environment topics. Also, check out our Bright
Green blog archive and our RSS feed.
( More stories )