[Lapg] Perennial vegetable list wanted

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 15:12:30 PST 2009

John,

I do have some of the African Moringa from ECHO (I love that place!) along with recipes, etc, that they sell. So many of the perennial greens are more nutritious than lettuce and have medicinal and other uses. Sweet potatoes are a staple in Florida because they grow so well in even the sandy soils there.

I travel back and forth between LA, Florida and Pine Ridge reservation doing permaculture stuff. Teaching a PDC in Miami in Jan/Feb - Florida has very little permaculture going on but it is starting to pick up a lot. I had a nursery and food forest going in the foothills of LA for a while, I'm just starting a food forest at a home in Glendale I'm staying at, and have started a few in the Tampa Bay area of Florida where I was living for a while. We're also planning to start some at Pine Ridge next summer - very different climate, though similar to one I gardened in many years ago.

Hmm, wasn't aware you could eat the greens of all that you mentioned, will try it! And the book sounds marvelous - I was not familiar with it.

Hawaii is such a paradise to grow in! I will visit there some time just to see the plants. Florida and S Cal are not bad either though, so much diversity.  :-)

Cory