[Lapg] [Scpg] Perennial vegetable list wanted moringa & abelmoschus

Dan Hemenway permacltur at aol.com
Sun Dec 13 17:37:24 PST 2009

John:
    I've not had Pacific spinach, though I've eaten lots of its Hibiscus spp. cousins.  They are all quite serviceable.  I'm skeptical that it matches moringa, but if it does, so much the better!

DH

Dan,

Great to see the overlap on our responses to Cory's 'perennial veggies for Fla and So Cal' question (some parts nearly word for word!), as I did not read yours until today.

I would also put Pacific Spinach (Abelmoschus manihot) up against Moringa for taste (no cooking needed, but must like okra texture) and super nutrition (comparing raw Pacific Spinach with cooked Moringa). Moringa is much more drought tolerant than Pacific Spinach, if rain/water is an issue.

For those of you interested in tropical nutrition tables (for what they are worth) see
The Pacific Islands food composition tables, SECOND EDITION, FOA UN 2004
online at:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/007/y5432e/y5432e00.htm#Contents

Have you tried the M. stenopetalta?

JV

Great to see the overlap on our responses to Cory's 'perennial veggies for Fla and So Cal' question (some parts nearly word for word!), as I did not read yours until today.

I would also put Pacific Spinach (Abelmoschus manihot) up against Moringa for taste (no cooking needed, but must like okra texture) and super nutrition (comparing raw Pacific Spinach with cooked Moringa). Moringa is much more drought tolerant than Pacific Spinach, if rain/water is an issue.

For those of you interested in tropical nutrition tables (for what they are worth) see
The Pacific Islands food composition tables, SECOND EDITION, FOA UN 2004
online at:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/007/y5432e/y5432e00.htm#Contents

Have you tried the M. stenopetalta?

JV

Cornucopia Kitchen Gardens and Food Forests
John Valenzuela Permaculture Services
Horticulturist, Consultant, Educator-
California, Hawai'i phone: (415) 246-8834
e-mail: johnvalenzuela at hotmail.com