[Lapg] Puerto Rico Earthbag Dome Intensive 4/10/10-4/20/10

scott at earthenhand.com scott at earthenhand.com
Wed Dec 16 05:22:36 PST 2009

This email newsletter was sent to you in graphical HTML format.
If you're seeing this version, your email program prefers plain text emails.
You can read the original version online:
http://ymlp85.com/zb4SXl

Workshop Highlights

April 10th -20th, 2010
Patillas, Puerto Rico

We will be surrounded by
learning opportunities
throughout our stay.
The workshop will
be a muti-lingual
event with translation
between Spanish & English.

Lectures and instruction will
include:

Dome construction
Rubble trench foundations
Earth Bag construction
Cob construction
Stone masonry
Sign-up today at
www.earthenhand.com

Hello,
I am happy to announce Earthen Hand is offering an
Earthbag Dome Intensive Workshop this coming
April 10-20, 2010 in Patillas, Puerto Rico.
Please help us make this trip a success by spreading the word to
others. I can forward along my printable flyer at your request.

Please see details at: www.earthenhand.com.
Also, I am currently preparing for our workshop in Dogon Country,
Mali that will start next month. We are building a schoolroom there.
A big thank you to everyone who helped maked this current project
possible!

Kind regards,

Scott Howard
Earthen Hand Natural Building
scott at earthenhand.com

PUERTO RICO EARTHBAG DOME INTENSIVE (
HTTP://WWW.EARTHENHAND.COM/PUERTO.HTML )

In cooperation with:

LAS CASAS DE LA SELVA
WWW.EYEONTHERAINFOREST.ORG

April 10th-20th, 2010

Patillas, Puerto Rico

Gain skills to create healthy, practical and sustainable structures!

Learn about earthbag dome design and construction, earthen plasters,
and methods of roofing using locally available plants. Complete a 13 x
13 foot earthbag dome that will be a bedroom. While you are there,
learn about the local rainforest ecology and demonstrations of
sustainable agriculture and forestry.

Gain the skills you need to build your own Earthbag dome: Dome
design, Permaculture Design (as it applies to buildings), Earthbag and
Gravel Foundations, Earthbag and Cob Wall systems, Passive Solar,
Window placement, Earthen floors, Earthen plasters.

Preregistration is required.

Taught in English and Spanish by the instructor.

Tuition = $1400

10% discount for bringing a friend!

Cost is $1800 for tuition, and about $2000 travel expenses, including
airfare.
See details and sign up today at:  www.earthenhand.com (
http://www.earthenhand.com )

Scott Howard started Earthen Hand Natural Building in 2002, with the
goal to build and promote artistic earthen architecture.  He offers
workshops about earthen building
techniques locally and abroad. Scott is also available for hire as a
builder, designer, or consultant on alternative building projects. See
www.earthenhand.com for workshop details:
Mali earth bag dome intensive 1/9/10-1/25/10; Puerto Rico earth bag
dome intensive 4/10/10-4/20/10; Portland, OR, USA earth bag house
building Spring/Summer 2010.

Patricia Boyko has been working with Las Casas de la Selva since
February of 2008. A traveler, chef, artisan, creator, and scientist,
she currently researches vines and fungi at Las Casas. She also
experiments with the potential use of secondary forest products. With
passion for ecology and the land, she is working to develop and
promote more sustainable building and development practices in Puerto
Rico, as well as increase infrastructure at the project. She is our
wonderful logistics coordinator for this event. Puerto Rico residents
contact: patty.boyko at gmail.com

Participants will learn everything that they need to build
structurally stable domes using little more than earth from the site.
The design is a 13 foot catenary dome with two windows and a door.
Dome building by hand is an ancient art that is still used today in
many parts of the world.  It is one of the fastest and simplest ways
to enclose a space, and is ideal for most environments.

See the famous mosque at Djenne, the largest mud-brick building in
the world.