[Lapg] Fwd: curb policy

CURTIS BLANKINSHIP curtis.blankinship at gmail.com
Sun May 2 14:41:35 PDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Pedersen <richardpedersen at caaprofessionals.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:51 AM
Subject: Re: curb policy
To: CURTIS BLANKINSHIP <curtis.blankinship at gmail.com>
Cc: Michael Tree <cmanager at ci.twentynine-palms.ca.us>,
commdev at ci.twentynine-palms.ca.us

Mr. Blankinship:

I appreciate your efforts and the concern we share with regard to recharging
our underground water supply and the creation of beautiful landscaping.

However, due to high silt and sand in the desert, we have determined that
the permeable curb and pavements tend to become less effective as time
passes.  We have found, through much experience that even our natural-bottom
retention basins tend to "silt up" and hold water for weeks. These ponding
waters can become a public safety issue. As a result we have included a dry
well system in the design of all retention basins.  Additionally, with the
freezing and thawing that occurs on occasion during winter months, we would
anticipate any water trapped within these permeable materials would cause
much damage to the curbs and pavements.  As a result, we would not consider
these types of construction methods in the City of Twentynine Palms.

If you would like to discuss this issue further, please contact me at
760-801-7615.

Richard Pedersen,
City Engineer

On Apr 12, 2010, at 3:31 PM, CURTIS BLANKINSHIP wrote:

> Mr. Pederson
> I am a sustainable designer in 29 palms. While the GPAC committee was
working on the towns general plan it came up that there was no drainage
plan. I am trying to build a house out here and found out Iam to pay a huge
curb fee. Because of this I have been looking at the curbs around town. I am
not criticizing your curb design skills. However, there are new design
parameters for curbs in sustainable cities.
> The Desert Knoll housing project uses curbs to direct water down the hill
to an open lot where it creates a gully. The marine housing project near
there has a recharge basin of sorts. The older housing lots around the area
use retaining walls to allow water to soak in and water their landscapes.
> Can we return to a more permeable curb policy? There is a way to do this
that would cost developers and owner builders less money and create a
beautiful landscape in the process.