[Lapg] Thinking Like a Watershed with Brock Dolman Wed May 26, 7pm Chaparral Auditorium Ojai

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed May 12 08:08:05 PDT 2010

Wed May 26, 7pm
Presentation: Basins of Relations: Think Like a Watershed
by Brock Dolman,
Director of the WATER Institute (www.oaecwater.org)
Chaparral Auditorium  414 E. Ojai Avenue, Ojai

Opening short film:
"The Cycle of Insanity: The Real Story of Water"

$5 suggested donation
includes a copy of
Basins of Relations:
A Citizen's Guide to
Protecting and Restoring
Our Watersheds

Presented by Ojai Valley Green Coalition
Contact
Deborah Pendrey
coordinator at ojaivalleygreencoalition.com
805-669-8445
www.OjaiValleyGreenCoalition.org

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/ovgc>www.flickr.com/photos/ovgc

Thinking Like a Watershed
http://www.ojaivalleygreencoalition.org/OVGC%20May%202010%20E-News.pdf

After April's great presentation about the Ojai Creek project, we'll be
continuing the watershed theme on Wednesday, May 26-gathering
again at the Chaparral Auditorium at 414 E. Ojai Avenue at 7:00
p.m. Our guest speaker will be Brock Dolman of the Water
Institute at the Occidental Arts and Ecology Center in Occidental,
California. His theme will be "Thinking Like a Watershed," based
on our speaker's popular booklet Basins of Relations: A Citizen's
Guide to Protecting and Restoring Our Watersheds. Brock will
interpret a series of slide images about water, watersheds, patterns
of human development, and restoration ideas known to support
regenerative ecological integrity.

He'll discuss rainwater harvesting as a strategy of water
conservation, from rooftops to the broader landscape, and will expand
on the ideas
of conservation hydrology and low-impact development, emphasizing the
need for humandevelopment designs to move from drainage to retainage.

Instead of land-use practices designed to capture excess stormwater
and convey this often-degraded resource offsite, Brock will discuss
ideas for how landowners can spread, slow, and sink stormwater on
their site. He'll explain how moving away from runoff to run-on land
uses can result in multiple watershed benefits such as reduced
flooding, improved water quality, enhanced late-season baseflows,
increased groundwater recharge for local supply, benefits to stream
structure and function, enhanced instream and upland wildlife
habitat, short-term and long-term economic benefits, and improved
localized aesthetics.

The evening will open with the Surfrider Foundation's new short film
The Cycle of Insanity: The Real Story of Water. This film, narrated
by actress Zuleikha Robinson from the television series Lost, dives
into the controversial problems and solutions related to water
management.
The Cycle of Insanity can serve as a practical outline for those citizens
who are curious about water issues. It connects the impacts of our
current water-management system to coastal issues as it offers
commonsense solutions that illustrate how we can move toward
sustainability in water and wastewater management.

We'll be asking for a $5 entry donation to support the work of
the Ojai Valley Green Coalition and the Water Institute, and
everyone who attends will receive a copy of the Brock Dolman
booklet Basins of Relations: A Citizen's Guide to Protecting and Restoring
Our Watersheds.

For those who would like a resource for great information on our
local Ventura watershed, we recommend this EPA website
http://cfpub.epa.gov/surf/huc.cfm?huc_code=18070101