[Lapg] Permaculture opportunities at Pine Ridge reservation this summer

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 18:43:58 PDT 2010

There is a full line up of permaculture-related courses, apprenticeships and volunteer opportunities at Pine Ridge reservation this summer, starting mid-July. All courses are aligned with key projects that will complete steps to make a site on the rez fully self-reliant and resilient, as well as complete infrastructure for a permaculture/sustainability school on the site, do broad scale rehab of the prairie and consolidate a microlending/cooperative economics project.

This will create a great demonstration site as well as the energy to build more resilient sites quickly at Pine Ridge. All activities will be carried out in cultural context of the Lakota. Permaculture Guild is partnering with Oglala-Lakota Cultural and Economic Revitilization Initiative to exchange beneficial energies. Community leaders from Haiti will also be at Pine Ridge this summer to learn and exchange wisdom, bringing three of the four races together in cooperation.

Pine Ridge remains the poorest county in the US and The People suffer many hardships. This is an opportunity to contribute to the success and well-being of a nation that has long struggled.

We currently have an opportunity to access funding that may be used to rehabilitate hundreds or thousands of acres of degraded, eroded tribal prairie lands back to the fertile, highly diverse mature prairie ecosystems enjoyed by the Lakota 150 years ago.

We're holding a keyline design/holistic management course in July that will enable this program to go forward. Do you want to learn how to reverse desertification by building soils fast and reviving water supply and moisture over thousands of acres while providing food for a tribe? This course demonstrates how!

We're offering a straw bale workshop from two of the top builders in the US and a project to build a classroom/workshop that will support these activities.

Our Permaculture Design Course in August will be taught by veteran permaculturist Warren Brush.

A food forest course will design and implement a food forest on the rez.

Volunteers are needed now to help with logistics as there are many elements of coordination needed to pull off this ambitious project. Much of the work can be done remotely, wherever you are. We can do this with the right people, the elements are all aligning and it is time to do this.

Please see our web site for more info:
permacultureguild.us

Love and light,

Cory